Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Green_Vegetable_Man

Eating fish every day

There are so many health warnings about eating fish every day on every medical site I visit that it is not even funny. What type of fish are you eating every day? There are so many fish that are contaminated with Mercury.

The most common warning is that pregnant women should avoid fish all together. For people who are not pregnant they say they should only eat it once every 1-2 weeks...at the most... because of the mercury content.

I realize that you are trying to get healthy.. but the stupid corporations used the sea and oceans as dumps for all the toxic waste and mercury and DEET so that they say there are NO fish in the world that are not contaminated.

On the news last month (CNN), they said that when they studied the contents of a Polar Bear's stomach at the North Pole, all the fish in his stomach had high levels of Mercury. :(

However, I've read FISH OIL has almost no mercury content... so it might be safer to try that.

Melbourne don't post things if you don't know all the information about it. Like someone said, many health professionals advise against eating fish everyday due to mercury content (which seems to continually get worse). Eating fish 2-3 times a week is recommended, not 7. And that is for nonpregnant women.

I have a lot in the freezer but don't eat it too often because it's a bit fatty for such a small size. Very tastey though since I had it a couple nights ago.

frozen fish... eww.. contains more toxins.

Melbourne don't post things if you don't know all the information about it. Like someone said, many health professionals advise against eating fish everyday due to mercury content (which seems to continually get worse). Eating fish 2-3 times a week is recommended, not 7. And that is for nonpregnant women.

That sounds right to me. Anyway, what exactly is bad about mercury besides it being toxic?

the bigger the fish.. the more mercury it has.. IE>> swordfish, tuna, mackeral.. all have high amount of mercury.. They are alive longer thus they absorb more mercury.. small fish like grey sole, turbot, skate, catfish, tilapia, and flounder, among others contain far less mercury.

I have a lot in the freezer but don't eat it too often because it's a bit fatty for such a small size. Very tastey though since I had it a couple nights ago.

That sounds right to me. Anyway, what exactly is bad about mercury besides it being toxic?

the bigger the fish.. the more mercury it has.. IE>> swordfish, tuna, mackeral.. all have high amount of mercury.. They are alive longer thus they absorb more mercury.. small fish like grey sole, turbot, skate, catfish, tilapia, and flounder, among others contain far less mercury.

How does frozen fish contain more of these mysterious "toxins"? specify which ones, please.

Guest Michael Jackson

nothin like a good bit of mercury posioning :)

How does frozen fish contain more of these mysterious "toxins"? specify which ones, please.

no. anything frozen is bad. think about it.

I would like to add that you should not buy farm raised salmon. It contains many toxins. If you must buy it, which I don't know why you would, be sure to make sure it wasn't raised in the usa, norwegian is acceptable. Also be sure to buy it from a very reliable vendor such as Legal Seafoods or Whole Foods, maybe Wild Oats if you have a decent one near you.. DO NOT BUY FARM RAISEd SALMON FROM stop and shop, shaws or any other deadly chain .. they don't care about you.

I would like to add that you should not buy farm raised salmon. It contains many toxins. If you must buy it, which I don't know why you would, be sure to make sure it wasn't raised in the usa, norwegian is acceptable. Also be sure to buy it from a very reliable vendor such as Legal Seafoods or Whole Foods, maybe Wild Oats if you have a decent one near you.. DO NOT BUY FARM RAISEd SALMON FROM stop and shop, shaws or any other deadly chain .. they don't care about you.

Thought about it. Why is anything frozen bad? What "toxins" are created when you freeze something?

Thought about it. Why is anything frozen bad? What "toxins" are created when you freeze something?

There's nothing wrong with frozen fish. If there are toxins our body will flush it out anyway.

wrong

There's nothing wrong with frozen fish. If there are toxins our body will flush it out anyway.

wrong

elaborate...

wrong

Some people freak out when they hear "chemical, "frozen", "dried", "preserved" and so on. They think fresh, organic, and natural food is always good. Freezing fish has been practiced over thousands years. Frozen fish is alot more safer than fresh fish that has been unproperly handled. For example, in Vancouver, all fish that is used for sushi or served raw must be frozen for 6 months. Freezing process kills some (not all)protists/bacteria and ensures that the fish is ok to be consumed raw. Most fresh fish that you see on the supermarket has been frozen and thawed out. Do you think Whole Foods is a honest and reliable vendor?? Think again.

Plus, if you insist that frozen fish contains more toxin than fresh fish does, specify what that toxin is, and provide us information about the effect of freezing on the toxin level in fish.

Yeah, the only way you'd find truly fresh fish would be to catch it yourself. Sorry to say but if you're gettin Alaskan Salmon and you live in California... it wasn't exactly shipped warm.

Anyways yeah, I heard freezing fish over a period of time depending on how big the cut is kills ALL parasites, but I'm not positive...

wrong

Some people freak out when they hear "chemical, "frozen", "dried", "preserved" and so on. They think fresh, organic, and natural food is always good. Freezing fish has been practiced over thousands years. Frozen fish is alot more safer than fresh fish that has been unproperly handled. For example, in Vancouver, all fish that is used for sushi or served raw must be frozen for 6 months. Freezing process kills some (not all)protists/bacteria and ensures that the fish is ok to be consumed raw. Most fresh fish that you see on the supermarket has been frozen and thawed out. Do you think Whole Foods is a honest and reliable vendor?? Think again.

Plus, if you insist that frozen fish contains more toxin than fresh fish does, specify what that toxin is, and provide us information about the effect of freezing on the toxin level in fish.

you said:: sushi is frozen is vancouver::

thats because its the law so that no one gets sick from bacteria, cuz canada sucks and has no balls. They usually superfreeze the sushi to negative 120 degrees.. yah thats natural. not only does it make the tuna slimey and tasteless but it creates toxins and is completely unnatural. Have you ever heard of Japan?? Well I don't think you could find sashimi, lets use the correct term, that has been frozen there if you tried, because it is an insult to the japanese to eat/serve sashimi that is not "fresh".

You said most fresh fish at a supermarket has been frozen.

Most supermarkets DO NOT freeze their fish before they sell it "fresh", I don't know where you got that bad information but its completely wrong. Maybe if it is a location in the middle of no where and they are real cheezy they do, but why would you shop at a place like that..

As for Whole Foods.. haha. I used to work in the seafood department so you picked the wrong person to make that statement to.

We have our own seafood facility and processing plants located on every coast/some lakes in 6 different regions. We have our own boats/buyers catching and purchasing only the very best seafood available. The fish is then delivered "FRESH" to our stores incredibly fast. We recieve fish within 5-10 days after it was "CAUGHT" , never buy fish from the bottom of the boat, and scan fish for high mercury levels, and polluted waters. reliable vendor.. ha.

KnowShow - You didn't answer the question as to why anything frozen is bad and why it creates additional toxins

ooh excellent point I never thought of that.. This, however is no reason to not eat seafood. It has alot of other benefits, plus an iodine deficiency can cause mental retardation among other serious problems. Also iodine is needed for proper thyroid function, so if you were to eat NO iodine your hormones would get all screwed up and if you have acne you don't want that. I think that since so many things have iodine in them if you avoid most things with salt in them you are helping a great deal. I just read that seafood is actually the richest and most natural form of iodine, so I say if you are going to have only one source of iodine, then this is the one you want. Heres some other stats on the goodness of fish.....

Fish provide goodly amounts of fluoride, important for protection against cavities and osteoporosis.

Fish are a reliable source of selenium, which is believed to play a role in preventing heart disease and possibly cancer.

Fish is also a respectable source of B vitamins. Dark-fleshed fish like mackerel and salmon tend to be higher in B vitamins than lighter-fleshed fish. Oilier fish like herring and mackerel are among the few natural food sources of vitamin D, I bet chilean bass falls in this category too.. Also canned sardines provide fair amounts of vitamin A.

There is a difference between iodine and iodide. One is man-made and bad for you. The other is good for you and natural. I can't remember which is which. But that is why natural sea salt is recommended over table salt.

In any event, do I have to buy fish oil in a pill? I don't like to eat fish, whether it has mercury or not. But I could deal with the oil. Is pill form the only way to ingest or do they make fish oil to cook with?