Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest ThereIsHope

How bad was your initial break out??

Guest ThereIsHope

I'm strongly considering accutane, but the thought of a bad inital breakout plus the state my skin is in now scares the HELL out of me! :cry:

How bad was your initial breakout, how long did it last, and is there ANY way to avoid it or lessen the severity???

I didn't start accutane yet, I'm starting Wednesday. But I'm going to continue using cephelexin (an antibiotic) during my course of accutane to hopefully prevent an IB.

My son started accutane a little more that 2 weeks ago and his acne was moderate with lots of cysts under his skin and his cheeks very bumpy and red. His acne cysts got worse for the first week and a half. They actually oozed by themselves as if they were draining. I think that's what supposed to happen as accutane brings everything out and his was really deep. But what really helped was hot water compresses for 15 to 30 minutes a few times a day during the day and evening and that seemed to calm his redness and help the cysts drain. I know it's a tough decision but you must look at the outcome and keep that in mind because it's a long journey and you must have patience. but I'm sure it will be worth it! Take care and good luck!

You can't guess how bad your IB will be off of other's experience, no matter how many people you ask. Everyone is different. Everyone's body handles the medicine differently. My skin is absolute shit, and has been pure shit ever since I started the course. I'm almost on my second month.

To lessen the IB, my derm gave me a topical to use before I started and for a while until my skin got too sensitive. It's called Klaron, but the dumb ass forgot I was allergic to sulfur and prescribed it to me anyways even though it's a sulfur lotion.

I asked my derm if i could take my Mino during begining treatment to avoid the IB, he said it wasn't necessary and the IB is overrated. Antibiotics could only boost the pressure in your brain.. :hand:

ive been breaking out ever since week 2 and im on week 7 now.My skin has never looked so bad before, NEVER.

Same :doubt:

I asked my derm if i could take my Mino during begining treatment to avoid the IB, he said it wasn't necessary and the IB is overrated. Antibiotics could only boost the pressure in your brain.. :hand:

Only antibiotics that end in cycline, i asked my doctor.

My IB was the worst breakout of my life. It was so horrific but it only lasted a couple of days but still, those couple of days were some of the most depressing days of my acne life.

My son started accutane a little more that 2 weeks ago and his acne was moderate with lots of cysts under his skin and his cheeks very bumpy and red. His acne cysts got worse for the first week and a half. They actually oozed by themselves as if they were draining. I think that's what supposed to happen as accutane brings everything out and his was really deep. But what really helped was hot water compresses for 15 to 30 minutes a few times a day during the day and evening and that seemed to calm his redness and help the cysts drain. I know it's a tough decision but you must look at the outcome and keep that in mind because it's a long journey and you must have patience. but I'm sure it will be worth it! Take care and good luck!

You can use warm compresses on cysts while on accutane?