Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tj101

People who have had subscison, are you satisfied with the results, how much improvement did you get?

I'm thinking of having subscision done, but first I'd like to hear the opinions of people who have had this actually done.

Hi,

I had subcision done on just one scar. The results were very good (about 50%). I also had dermabrasion done (prior to the subcision by a different doctor). For me the subcision was much more effective than dermabrasion, because my scars are rather deep.

If you have it done, keep in mind that you will not see the results for at least two months - mine took about six months before I really noticed the improvement. I'd like to have it done on my other scars when I can afford it. My doctor suggested subcision then micro injections of silicone, but I think I would just start with the subcision and see how it looks after six months. It takes a while for collagen to grow.

I hope it works for you!

Thanks for replying. How much did it cost? I read typical costs range from $300-$500, but I'm not sure if that's for the whole face or just an area, I do have quite a bit of scars.

I read the hard part is convincing your doctor to do it because they always try to get you to try more expensive useless stuff.

Thanks for replying. How much did it cost? I read typical costs range from $300-$500, but I'm not sure if that's for the whole face or just an area, I do have quite a bit of scars.

I read the hard part is convincing your doctor to do it because they always try to get you to try more expensive useless stuff.

subsiscion has been the the best thing i have done for my scars..some of my scars responded amazing barely noticeable, others about 50per cent..i also had a temp filler put in (doctor recomended) immediately after being subsized...it's been 7months now

subsiscion has been the the best thing i have done for my scars..some of my scars responded amazing barely noticeable, others about 50per cent..i also had a temp filler put in (doctor recomended) immediately after being subsized...it's been 7months now

Can depressed scars that look like chinken pock scars benefit from subcision? Or only rolling scars?

I had three done on ice pick scars. It works good on those in that u damage under the skin and build scar tissue right under the scar pushing it to the surface. This wqas a really easy procedure and healed within a week and a half. Greatly improved the three scars to this point and I am real happy I did it.

TJ101

The one I had done was free. My doctor told me to try it on one and if I liked I could come back for more. When I asked for a quote on the full face subcision w/micro injections he said about $3,000. I know that subcision alone does not cost anywhere near that much. I am interested in knowing what other people paid too.

The thing about subcision is that initially you may be dissapointed because it takes awhile for the collagen to grow. I know I was initially not impressed with the procedure but after a few months I started to see some results. The scar I had treated was a large deep boxcar right on the front of my cheek. You can still see it but it is nowhere near as deep or noticable. Right after the subcision you could not see the scar at all because of the swelling (and I was ecstatic), but then the swelling goes down and the scar returns. But, in time collagen grows and the scar improves. I hope you try it - don't let a doctor talk you into something more expensive that you really don't want to do.

Take care,

Nancy

TJ101

The one I had done was free. My doctor told me to try it on one and if I liked I could come back for more. When I asked for a quote on the full face subcision w/micro injections he said about $3,000. I know that subcision alone does not cost anywhere near that much. I am interested in knowing what other people paid too.

The thing about subcision is that initially you may be dissapointed because it takes awhile for the collagen to grow. I know I was initially not impressed with the procedure but after a few months I started to see some results. The scar I had treated was a large deep boxcar right on the front of my cheek. You can still see it but it is nowhere near as deep or noticable. Right after the subcision you could not see the scar at all because of the swelling (and I was ecstatic), but then the swelling goes down and the scar returns. But, in time collagen grows and the scar improves. I hope you try it - don't let a doctor talk you into something more expensive that you really don't want to do.

Take care,

Nancy

Wow 3000 is just ridiculous, i had at least 10 scars subsized with a filler as well, and each time it was no more then a few hundred..My intitial consultation was pricey at $250 but finding a great surgeon ussualy is

Italguy - glad you got such good results!

I had deep scars on my cheeks that were bound down and I probably got 50% to maybe 70% (on some of the scars) on the areas that were bound down and had lost tissue underneath. It is are really good procedure for those types of scars. I have now moved on to a permanent filler but the subscisions helped set the stage for the final fillers.

Dan

Italguy - glad you got such good results!

I had deep scars on my cheeks that were bound down and I probably got 50% to maybe 70% (on some of the scars) on the areas that were bound down and had lost tissue underneath. It is are really good procedure for those types of scars. I have now moved on to a permanent filler but the subscisions helped set the stage for the final fillers.

Dan

Hey Dan i was thinking of trying a permanent filler just like you after a few susiscions..what type are you using? and how was the outcome?

Italguy -

I am now doing 3 rounds of medical grade silicone microinjections. I had the first round 8 weeks ago and the second round about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I have noticed some decent improvement especially on the rolling scars on my cheeks. I won't know the full results until about 4 weeks after my third round of treatment. I will have the third round done the second week of this month and will not see the results until probably the end of October. So far, I have seen some decent improvement. I am going to Dr. David Alkek in Dallas, Texas.

Glad to hear about your results with the subscisions. I also was pleased with the improvement from that type of treatment. From what I have been told, the filler also helps the process even if it is a temp. filler.

Dan

I had three done on ice pick scars. It works good on those in that u damage under the skin and build scar tissue right under the scar pushing it to the surface. This wqas a really easy procedure and healed within a week and a half. Greatly improved the three scars to this point and I am real happy I did it.

Keith, you must be going to a cutting edge doctor! I might have to high-tail it to Indiana as I can find NO ONE, plastic surgeon or dermatological surgeon or regular old dermatologist, to help me with my ice picks and flying saucers - all are quite shallow and all bug the living hell out of me! I've never heard of subcision for ice picks, but come to think of it, why not? Anyway, do you mind telling me how large/deep your ice picks were? I'm SO frustrated that I can't get anyone to help me, although I respect their conservatism in wanting to err on the side of not making things worse. Thanks, darlin'!

Glad to hear so many people have gotten great results from this. Are there any doctors who perform this on the east coast?

Keith, you must be going to a cutting edge doctor! I might have to high-tail it to Indiana as I can find NO ONE, plastic surgeon or dermatological surgeon or regular old dermatologist, to help me with my ice picks and flying saucers - all are quite shallow and all bug the living hell out of me! I've never heard of subcision for ice picks, but come to think of it, why not? Anyway, do you mind telling me how large/deep your ice picks were? I'm SO frustrated that I can't get anyone to help me, although I respect their conservatism in wanting to err on the side of not making things worse. Thanks, darlin'!

Just saw this maybe I answered a pm dont remember lol. They were not major but were the most noticable marks on my face. I told my doc that I had never heard of this either for ice picks. It was soooooo simple. Just cut right under with a needle and try to cause a bruise and bleeding right under the scar. THat rises it to a bit over surface and within a week or week and a half the red and swelling go down and that is it. Real simple and surprising as she said she has done this a bunch on ice picks scars.

Fan of subcision here!!! It's great for deeper and harder scars; scars that are held down tightly. And it's cheap(er) !

Subcision subcision all the way!!!

the bottom line is this.

many doctors don't actually tell you this. But if you have subcision just be itself, most scars will go and reattach back down to where they were originally attached. you have some collagen growth as well from the wound so there is a bit of fill. But to have really good results you want to do whatever possible to delay/stop the top skin from reattaching back down to where it was originally attached. Whether you achieve that by filling the gap with restylane, dermal graft, collagen injection, permanent injection or whatever is up to you. But that is how to get the real improvement.

Awesome results - I am pleased for you guys. I have 2 deeper scars from bad excisions on cheek. Every derm I have seen has said the depth of my scarring is mild. Does subcison work on shallow scars, or do you think the new fraxel might work better?

Anyone know of good subcison docs in SF/Silicon Valley area?

the bottom line is this.

many doctors don't actually tell you this. But if you have subcision just be itself, most scars will go and reattach back down to where they were originally attached. you have some collagen growth as well from the wound so there is a bit of fill. But to have really good results you want to do whatever possible to delay/stop the top skin from reattaching back down to where it was originally attached. Whether you achieve that by filling the gap with restylane, dermal graft, collagen injection, permanent injection or whatever is up to you. But that is how to get the real improvement.

Yeah, I agree, but that's what my derm would call a "stubborn" scar. Mine was all right, except for one but that's almost gone now. He told me that derms in Thailand do subcision very agressively. They really go in a break the bonds to make sure that doensn't happen. Only danger is that the scar might over correct and become lump, which can be corrected by injections.