Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well I have to get braces in about 10 days...

The one thing I hate about going to the dentist is he touches your face ALOT!

Even thought he has those gloves on... will it still make you break out?

Also... whoever has had braces before please explain some of the PROS and CONS

of having them...

And anyway of avioding the orthadontist not touching my chin because thats usually where he touches

and that is my main T-zone...

Thanks! :snooty:

the thing that always happens to me at dentist offices is my face dries out really bad, because they keep my mouth open so wide for so long.

but i never really got a breakout from going or anything.

the thing that always happens to me at dentist offices is my face dries out really bad, because they keep my mouth open so wide for so long.

Yeah, I get that a lot too. I gotta go in less than a month too. I never had braces and I really need it cuz if you saw me I have a huge overbite.

I haven't gotten any breakouts from going to the dentists so yeah...

Ahaha.. the thing is I hate how he touches your face I just feel all nasty because I have to go to school right after I get my braces done so yea...

I had braces for about four years, and I never noticed any skin change due to going to the ortho's office. The pro of getting braces is that when it's all over, you'll have great teeth for the rest of your life. If your wisdom teeth haven't come in yet (I don't know how old you are) and they come in after your braces are off, just make sure you have them removed if necessary so they don't undo all the straightening. The cons of braces: you can't eat a lot of things (I missed corn on the cob in the summer), you won't always look so great, the parts break occasionally, and it does hurt sometimes. Actually I'd say that it hurts the most when you first get them and then the subsequent tightenings aren't so bad. It's so worth it though!!!!

Hey I'm getting mine in october!

my teeth would be pretty straight if it werent for the right one up top in the front.. it looks like its missing its so far up in my mouth :( and then from that accident the tooth beside it came in completely sideways... I cant wait to get my smile back i dont care if it hurts.

good luck with them though.

I went there a couple of days ago. They wore gloves. So no, I don't think you'll break out.

I had braces about 5 years ago and the orthodontist didn't make me break out, however I didn't get acne back then. Braces are pretty painless, and definitely worth it. I actually still wear my retainer every night so my teeth stayed straight.

yes definitely wear your retainer. I never did and my teeth are shifting (waste of $6000). Braces suck, theres no lying about it. But they WILL COME OFF EVENTUALLY. Eat an apple before you get them. I missed apples.

As for the acne. I had cystic acne w. braces, as i still do. It hurt very badly when he touched my face. but an orthodontists office (just as any doctors office) must be extremely sanitary. so them touching your face will not make you worse at all. You might get saliva around your mouth so be sure to wash your face afterward.

gooooood luck

Speaking of braces, are you ever too old to get them? I hate my smile and have an underbite lol. I haven't been to the dentist in years (I really should consult with one very soon actually, given I still want my teeth later in life!), so I wouldn't have a clue. I'm 23 by the way.

Merely a question ;)

I went through them. One word: Pain. :doubt:

I don't know why everyone says that, I barely had any discomfort at all.

Speaking of braces, are you ever too old to get them? I hate my smile and have an underbite lol. I haven't been to the dentist in years (I really should consult with one very soon actually, given I still want my teeth later in life!), so I wouldn't have a clue. I'm 23 by the way.

NO, if your only 23 you can still get braces, people get them when there like 40 or 50 even, It's just much more common for kids.

mann, i hate going to the dentist. once you sit down and he/she flashes that f-ing light in your face! you feel like every pimple on your face is on the spotlight clear and visible. i get so frustrated with my face i just wanna get sand paper, scrub my face with it and dump alcohol all over my face.<('.'<)

Merely a question ;)

your never too old to get braces i know a 40 yr old that has braces!!!!

Ahah thanks for your responses everybody..

But are those gloves they put on sanitary I mean...

Yes, they are... Plus, they wash their hands.

I wore braces from the 7th grade to about mid-way through junior year in high school. That's about... I guess roughly 4-5 years. I still wear retainers (4 years and still going) when I go to sleep every night because I'm paranoid my teeth will shift back. I've gone without retainers for a few days with nothing happening to my teeth but I'm still nervous about it.

Anyway, was it worth it? Sure thing. Who can deny the charm of a nice smile? Ah-ha. With a much more attractive smile, it's so much easier to approach people. The pain isn't anything bad. It's just uncomfortable but far from unbearable.

^ thanks that really helped im very nervous I dont know whats going on if its going to hurt or what!

hELP me out!

^ thanks that really helped im very nervous I dont know whats going on if its going to hurt or what!

hELP me out!

I just had some minor discomfort. After a while you cant even feel them. Getting braces is completely worth it I had braces for about 18 months 5 years ago and my teeth are perfect. Just make sure you wear your retainer so they stay that way.

It hurts like a b*tch for the first few weeks after you have them put on, but from then on they don't hurt at all, except for monthly visits when adjustments are made. It hurts a little, but only for about a day.

I had mine for 4 years, the average is about 2, I belive. Now that they have been taken off, just about 3 weeks ago, I don't regret it at all. Get them. The time will pass by fast. I still the remember the day I had them put on.

And NO, you won't break out. Don't worry about that at all.

I cried the 1st day I had them on because it hurt me so bad... and then my mouth was extremely sore for the next week. Getting them tightened sucks too.

It was so worth all the pain :D

One thing Im worried about is talking weird..

I mean I know we've all seen the commericals and cartoons where the kid with the braces has some what of a lisp... and im hoping nothing is wrong with the way I talk after I get them :[