Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Forever-Lovely

Is there really such a thing as bipolar disorder?

Yes there is. A friend of mine has bipolar. It is a form of manic depression where you experience extreme highs and extreme lows. It is a serious mental illness not to be taken lightly. However, medication can help a great deal. As long as my friend takes his meds he is generally ok.

Yes there is. A friend of mine has bipolar. It is a form of manic depression where you experience extreme highs and extreme lows. It is a serious mental illness not to be taken lightly. However, medication can help a great deal. As long as my friend takes his meds he is generally ok.

Isn't bipolar like a mood swings thing? I mean, supposedly medication can help wih depression but I didn't know medication can help with bipolar.

bipolar is pretty serious if you arent untreated, because you can go through some extremely low lows, and well, do some things that you would regret once your mood swing is over.

Isn't bipolar like a mood swings thing? I mean, supposedly medication can help wih depression but I didn't know medication can help with bipolar.

Yes but is more than just mood swings. A bipolar sufferer could wake up one morning feeling suicidal and a week later they may feel great. It is VERY extreme mood swings. And yes medication is necessary and it DOES help.

you know it takes years to properly diag bipolar and it is extremely rare. some of the patients with it dont even have it and have been misdiag. I took Zoloft after having a panic attack from my doc and it made my mood go up and down rapidly. She then gave me Zeprexa which is a mood stabilizer for bi-polar saying that the Zoloft had triggered my underlying bipolar.

Long story short I went to a shrink 6 days later and he told me that my doctor was taking a huge risk in just prescribing heavy drugs like that. It turns out I had a reaction to the Zoloft which triggered the mood swings. The Zeprexa does the same thing as does Xanex which was also prescribed. So u cant take any of those if u are hypersensitive to the medication cause they all have the same ingredient that I was sensitive to. ALso the panic attack was isolated and I soon felt better from all of that.

So that just means that it is really rare and hard to diagnose. I really doubt u have it unless u do crazy things one minute and are racing, then fall into a suicidal state of depression. The shrink said that TRUE bi-polars have extensive histories of crime and almost always have had their license revoked when they are feeling a high and think they are invincible and will do crimes and speed.

I personally dont believe that medication is even needed in 99% of the mental health probs.

Bipolar is very real and very devestating. before i was properly diagnosed with ADD with comorbid OCD they suspected bipolar. basically it resuts from a neurochemial instability in the brain. It causes very dramatic mood fluctuations most substantially over the period of 2 weeks where you have insane energy, can't sleep, think you can do anything then suddenly after two weeks the mania turns into paranoia and a depression that immobolizes you.

it is a genetic and inherited condition also known as manic depression.

but it is treatable with medications such as wellbutrin, remeron, zyprexa and lythium

if you have any questions feel free to message me or ask them here. i'm pretty much an expert on mental illness as in addition to an undergraduate medical degree i've struggled with it (diagnosesed) for 14 years.

[quote name='Keithr23' date='Aug 29 2006, 12:33 AM' post='1318876'

I personally dont believe that medication is even needed in 99% of the mental health probs.

^^

I doubt it. It's not really like that. Bipolar is characterized by periods of full-fledged mania, alternating with depression. During the manic phase, the person often has a lack of self-control and has a tendency for reckless behaviour. They are often extrememly hyperactive. During the depressed phase, the person encounters very serious symptoms of major depression.

I have OCD, ADHD, Bipolar, anger problems(dont know what the term is)

Bipolar is like mood swings, sometimes i feel great, then i wanna murder people( i dont take medicine for it)

Tired of waiting I'm not trying to get anyone off meds that needs them just saying that tons of school children are on various drugs that they dont need. DOctors overprescribe that stuff at alarming rates. I felt soooooooo terrible from my incident and just felt like the doc didnt do a good job at all.

The psychologist that I saw said that I shouldnt have been put on medications and that the doctor was very wrong in doing that. Anybody on drugs for mental illness really needs to take a hard look at theirselves as many take anti depressants to mask the problem rather than dealing with it.

This isnt targeted at u either tired of waiting.

i have no idea, but i must have a form of bipolar or manic depression because my mood changes frequently and drastically without any recognizable trigger.

Yes bipolar disorder does exist, but it's often overdiagnosed and misdignosed. If someone really had bipolar disorder, chances are that they wouldn't be asking themselves if they have bipolar disorder........and most likely wouldn't seek treatment on their own (yes there are exceptions).

My sister is bipolar. She had bouts of deprseeion as a teenager and attempted suicide a couple times, and was on and off anti-depressants......When my mother's MS became malignant MS and she was put in a nursing home, my then 20 year old sister reacted to the situation very strangly......she started dressing differently, wearing way too much jewlery and makeup....not sleeping, not eating....talking way to fast......driving all over the state with no wear to go, spending excessive amounts of money....becoming best friends with total strangers.......eventually she was convinced she could see people auras, and talk to dead people, and became delusional, frightened, and paranoid...............That was a manic state........

Bipolar disorder is more then just mood swings, it can be a devistating illness if not treated......I get mood swings....this is totally different......

It's usually not officially diagnosed until the first manic state in someone with a history of depression...... A flair up of adult ADD can mimic a manic state, but usually doesn't present with symptoms of psychosis they way a manic state can........

My sister had had three "episodes".....and has been hospitalized five times (two for depressive psychosis as a teenager).........I can tell by her speech patterns and they way she dresses and does her makeup what "state" she's in.....right now she's on her way down from a manic state psychosis.....the meds are working somewhat, but she's still "up"..........

There are two types of Bipolar disrder...Bipolar I is what my sister has....which is marked by extreme manic states, and not as extreme depressions......Bipolar II Disorder is marked by extreme depressive states alternating with less extreme hypomanic states......

The "states" usually last a few weeks to a few months, although in some cases they can be mixed or can cycle rapidly (this is see more in bipolar children and teenagers then in adults)

Tired of waiting I'm not trying to get anyone off meds that needs them just saying that tons of school children are on various drugs that they dont need. DOctors overprescribe that stuff at alarming rates. I felt soooooooo terrible from my incident and just felt like the doc didnt do a good job at all.

The psychologist that I saw said that I shouldnt have been put on medications and that the doctor was very wrong in doing that. Anybody on drugs for mental illness really needs to take a hard look at theirselves as many take anti depressants to mask the problem rather than dealing with it.

This isnt targeted at u either tired of waiting.

not to worry thats why i said i'm glad you voiced it as your opinion. i have no beefs with anyone who is stating what they personally beleive only those that try to get everyone to jump on board ala Tom Cruise.

I guess looking at it from my perspective i see so many times people in and out of hospitals because they COULD be helped but they refuse meds and thats really sad because so many of us need them and can't afford them

Yes bipolar disorder does exist, but it's often overdiagnosed and misdignosed. If someone really had bipolar disorder, chances are that they wouldn't be asking themselves if they have bipolar disorder........and most likely wouldn't seek treatment on their own (yes there are exceptions).

My sister is bipolar. She had bouts of deprseeion as a teenager and attempted suicide a couple times, and was on and off anti-depressants......When my mother's MS became malignant MS and she was put in a nursing home, my then 20 year old sister reacted to the situation very strangly......she started dressing differently, wearing way too much jewlery and makeup....not sleeping, not eating....talking way to fast......driving all over the state with no wear to go, spending excessive amounts of money....becoming best friends with total strangers.......eventually she was convinced she could see people auras, and talk to dead people, and became delusional, frightened, and paranoid...............That was a manic state........

Bipolar disorder is more then just mood swings, it can be a devistating illness if not treated......I get mood swings....this is totally different......

It's usually not officially diagnosed until the first manic state in someone with a history of depression...... A flair up of adult ADD can mimic a manic state, but usually doesn't present with symptoms of psychosis they way a manic state can........

My sister had had three "episodes".....and has been hospitalized five times (two for depressive psychosis as a teenager).........I can tell by her speech patterns and they way she dresses and does her makeup what "state" she's in.....right now she's on her way down from a manic state psychosis.....the meds are working somewhat, but she's still "up"..........

There are two types of Bipolar disrder...Bipolar I is what my sister has....which is marked by extreme manic states, and not as extreme depressions......Bipolar II Disorder is marked by extreme depressive states alternating with less extreme hypomanic states......

The "states" usually last a few weeks to a few months, although in some cases they can be mixed or can cycle rapidly (this is see more in bipolar children and teenagers then in adults)

Exactly. my adult ADD flareup was misdiagnosed as bipolar at first, then reduced. Now they're tacking on all the comorbidities :P my brain hates me.

Bipolar is very predictable as it comes in patterns the trick is finding the patterns as generally anyone with a mental disorder is very very sneaky (myself included) about what they let others outside of the family who often don't wan't to admit the problem, actually see.