Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rhys

Is waxing better for acne than shaving?

The problem is the daily shaving.

I perform the regimen on my face twice a day. It makes my face acceptably clear. Shaving of my cheeks, upper lip and chin is causes no problems.

I perform the regimen on my neck once a day, before I go to bed. I can only apply the regimen to my neck in the evenings because I wear a suit during the day.

I believe that I have found the best shaving technique physically possible. You can ask if you would like to know more about it(!)

However, shaving my neck still aggravates the acne considerably. The once daily BP application does not successfully combat this. I have been following the regimen for two years now.

It makes me very unhappy to be living with a clear face but contrasting acne on my neck. The sole cause of this acne is the need to shave.

So the idea is that I wax my neck regularly so as to avoid shaving below my jaw line!

My questions:

1. Does waxing aggravate acne?
  2. Would the most gentle waxing kit be likely to leave a sensitive neck in better condition than the daily shaving does?
  3. Has anyone else tried waxing their neck or face instead of shaving?

Is this likely to work? What do you think?

Guest chesterfalls

I use a beard trimmer instead of wet shaving now as i had the same problem... i quite like having stubble anyway... :P

I spent six months prior to starting the regimen using a beard trimmer and keeping a consistent 3-5mm of stubble.

I personally didn't like it and it's not something I can do any more due to my job.

Has anyone tried waxing their neck?

I can't imagine it'll help, because new hairs will grow again under your skin and become trapped again. The beard trimmer is surely the best option.

Or, CSR twice a day on neck and wear a white shirt? Take a tissue into work to dab off sweat as necessary?

Waxing may help. When you shave, the hair is cut off and the stubble is very pointy. When you wax, the hair is yanked out at the root, and when it grows back it has a softer tip instead of tiny little sword-like point. Since it takes a longer time to grow back, it lets you get away with hair removal less often than if you shave.

It's worth a try. You could get a home waxing kit and try a small patch and see how that works for you before doing your entire neck. Or you may want to have a pro do it for you at a salon. They may even be better able to answer your question for their experience.

thank you mr beenthere - nice to meet someone on these forums with an open-minded approach to new treatments

i think i will phone around a few salons and see what i can find

my gf warns me that waxing my neck will be uber painful! lol

if only she knew how determined acne can make us :)

remember hair has to grow a little bit before it is long enough for the wax to grab it.. so with darker beard hairs, this could look weird with a visible line on your neck and shaved above.. :shrug:

that is a very interesting point

i have also been considering the pros and cons of waxing from the perspective of 'regrowth'

i personally have light hair, but it is rather thick at the same time.

i wonder how frequently the waxing could be performed for optimum grooming.

having an unusual look of clean-shaven face and bum-fluff neck would be undesirable. it would be interesting to know if anyone has experienced anything along these lines.

Guest Gentle~Rain

Waxers are more prone to ingrowns than shavers.Here's my thoughts. First if you aren't using a single blade straight razor...try that. It cuts hair right at the surface causing little if no ingrowns. ( ingrowns on males act very much like pimples , so you could just have bad irritation) Second...BP has shown it's self effective for you! And you are right you can't go killing your suits trying to use it. I would stick with the BP application at night and maybe try tea tree oil in the day. It won't bleach anything and is as effective as BP IMO. That way you get 24 hour protection and save your wardrobe!!!! Good luck to you and I hope you find some thing that works!!

Waxing is a bad idea. Pulling hair out will usually result in ingrown hairs or foleculitis, both which can look like a pimple.

Find a sharp razor or whatever and just go over the area once, very gently. If you're rough or go over the area many times, it'll irritate it. I've proven this one on myself. :P

Holy shit, another shaving thread!!! Mr. rhys, I'd like to hear some details of your shaving technique, as you put it. Waxing = not a good idea

First if you aren't using a single blade straight razor...try that.

Can you please tell me more about a single blade straight razor? Do you have an example of a brand that I can find to purchase? Or even just a picture of what I should expect?

Do you mean something like a Gillete Sensor, but with just one blade? I just don't quite get what you mean by a 'straight' razor. Many thanks