Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
butterfly.mcqueen

...accoutane dilemmas...

Hi boys and girls…

First let me tell you a little bit about myself…

I come from croatia and been a acne sufferer for, let me think, 4 years now… im 25 now… for 21 beautiful years my face was really clean, acne, pimple, blackheads free… :angel:

But then 4 years ago something horrible started to happen… my face literally exploded… diagnosis: acne vulgaris :cry: … I’ve tried everything, from over the counter things to antibiotics… hole bunch of stuff…. Antibiotics helped a little, but then after a wail everything went back to the same shit or to acne… by then my stomach became fucked up (sorry for my dictionary) ergo antibiotics were no option in my acne battle…

So my doctor and I decided to try with roaccutane or tane as you all call it…

Today I got my receipt, I went to pick the magic pill, but my drugstore didn’t have any so tomorrow I will pick them up and then give them a go…

I have bunch of questions, don’t know were to start…. Since my derm wasn’t able to give me all the answers, I will try here, so tane veterans could help…

1. I have to drop my usual acne regime? I read in all your logs that you use something mild to wash and something gentle to moisturize? Am I correct? :eh:

Since there are no places in croatia were I could buy the stuff most of you use (like cetaphil, etc.. ), im still not sure what to use.. I will probably use avene cleasning gel with cold cream for washing and for moisturizing ceracuta cream. For lips ceracuta lip balm…

2. Make up and tane? And make up removal and tane? Should I use the stuff I was using before? Im not sure what about that, some advice from make up "artists" would be great…

3. Waxing and tane? Already heard a big no, but still waiting for somebody who maybe did it. My bikini would be thankful for a simple yes :pray:

4. Alcohol and tane? My doctor told me to stop drinking, taking drugs… Im a social drinker :D so what do u think about few beers every now and then?

5. Food supplements and tane? I read that almost everybody are using omega 3-6-9. Can anybody explain why?

I had more question, but my brain stopped working…I will be back with more when I finally start with my treatment… so be patient…

And tnx for any help that u can give me….

p.s. I found this site two weeks ago, I’m reading it all the time on my work (im not so productive anymore :whistle: ) and it has been very helpful, so keep up the good work…

p.s.s sorry for the long, boring post…. But it’s so difficult to be short when u have a chaos rumbling through ur head…I’m totally horrified… :doh:

Since there are no replies let me give u more questions… :dance:

6. Should I moisturize my body also? Does it gets dry as the face and lips?

7th and (I hope) the final question is about the dosage of the drug… my derm told me to take 10 mg at morning and then 20 mg at afternoon.. so that means 30mg per day… is that a normal dose.. And what about the side effects with this dosage? And is my dose getting higher or lower as the time goes by… :think:

I’m really sorry for all this, but I need help, and I hope u can give it to me….

Big thanks…

Hey there! Welcome to the wonderful world of accutane! :dance: As you know from reading these logs, you might experience some ups and downs, but it'll be all worth it in the end. So, let me try and answer some of your questions:

1. Yes, you'll want to use really gentle products for washing with. I really like aveno products (lotion and wash) so maybe give that a try if it's available to you. If you can't find any good products, maybe you could order on-line?

2. For removing make-up, I just use the same stuff that I wash my face with - seems to do a good job of taking all of the make-up off.

3. Waxing: no, no, no! I would really stay away from this and probably for a while after your course of 'tane. Your skin is just too sensitive and you might rip it off. Time to get the razor out...

4. I think it's okay to have the odd drink as long as you're not over-doing it. I've cut back since starting 'tane but haven't stopped completely (and your blood work will indicate if your liver is suffering).

5. Omega 3 (fish oil) helps with absorption of 'tane so if you're not always taking 'tane with fatty food, omega 3 will help out. It's also supposed to help if you're experiencing joint pain. Some people also take Vitamin E - pretty sure this helps with keeping your hair from getting dry. And zinc is supposed to help with the healing process.

6. I didn't moisturize my body right away but started once my skin started feeling kinda tight (my skin has never gotten extremely dry like I thought it would).

7. It sounds like your derm is starting you out on a lower dose (probably to see how you react to it) and will increase it over time. At a lower dose, the side effects should be less severe but everyone reacts differently to it so it's hard to know for sure. I'm at 80mg/day and although there's annoying side effects, it's all tolerable.

Hope this helps! If you have anymore questions, ask away! :)

Tanya

Hi there and welcome!

I agree with all the above answers that were posted but i thought i should tell you about my experience with a dosage of 30mg.

I started with 30mg 35 days ago and also used a topical vitamin A so it may not represent a direct comparison for you but close enough i should think!

Within the first week my face was peeling a bit and became alot more red as if it was in a irritated state which did decrease after another week or so. I also started to apply lip balm on my lips as soon as i walked out of my doctors office with the prescription so i cant really comment when the lips became really dry but i would say within 14 days you will notice it.

My eyes started to dry out a bit but hasnt been a big deal really, maybe more so if you have contacts i would think.

My arms have got this dermatitis like activity going on around my elbows, but its not that bad at all.

Thats just a bit of what i can recall and that you might expect to happen to you also, but just moisturize when you need to, drink plenty of water and stay positive and the days will start to move by very fast.

All the best!

tanya and mada you are the best!!!

Thank you very much..... :comfort:

I got the pills today.... didn’t start the treatment, I still have some unfinished business - waxing and getting really drunk, so that I can behave while on tane... ;)

I have one more big issue... That is about face extractions (not sure that is the right expression, when derm squizzez your pimples)... I’m usually getting my face cleansed one a month... :wacko:

I’ve read that most of you guys don’t do that; here in croatia most of derm prescribe normal acne therapy (over the counter, antibiotics,) + monthly extractions...

So now, with tane, I’m not sure should I continue doing this... is it better for those big bad ones to get out or is the skin maybe too sensitive... not sure... so if anybody has experience with this question, please let me know...

And yes, sorry for my English. I’m doing my best… :)

I got the pills today.... didn’t start the treatment, I still have some unfinished business - waxing and getting really drunk, so that I can behave while on tane... ;)

I have one more big issue... That is about face extractions (not sure that is the right expression, when derm squizzez your pimples)... I’m usually getting my face cleansed one a month... :wacko:

I’ve read that most of you guys don’t do that; here in croatia most of derm prescribe normal acne therapy (over the counter, antibiotics,) + monthly extractions...

So now, with tane, I’m not sure should I continue doing this... is it better for those big bad ones to get out or is the skin maybe too sensitive... not sure... so if anybody has experience with this question, please let me know...

Your English is fantastic! :D

I'm on week 4 of my accutane treatment. I go to a dermatologist that prescribes "acne surgery" which is the facial with extractions. He has two estheticians that work in his office that do this.

After my last one (pre accutane) the esthetician told me that I could still get facials, and that depending on how my skin reacted to the meds, it would determine how much she could do during the facial. She said she would have to be much more gentle with extractions .

But...after 4 weeks, the need for extractions is much less than it was! :dance:

As for make-up, cleansers...can you order things over the internet?

There are several websites that sell products. I use Aveeno "Ultra Calming" cleanser and moisturizers.

Your English is fantastic! :D

I'm on week 4 of my accutane treatment. I go to a dermatologist that prescribes "acne surgery" which is the facial with extractions. He has two estheticians that work in his office that do this.

After my last one (pre accutane) the esthetician told me that I could still get facials, and that depending on how my skin reacted to the meds, it would determine how much she could do during the facial. She said she would have to be much more gentle with extractions .

But...after 4 weeks, the need for extractions is much less than it was! :dance:

As for make-up, cleansers...can you order things over the internet?

There are several websites that sell products. I use Aveeno "Ultra Calming" cleanser and moisturizers.

Hey Mickey... tnx u for advice... I’m getting my last pre accutane extractions this week before I start popping the magic pill... so I hope my case would be same as yours, no need for painful extractions .... :pray:

I found a few products here, they have pretty much the same ingredients as the creams and cleansers as most of you use, so I will buy them here... uriage, aveene, ceracuta, that the brands I will use.... hope they will work their mojo well....

p.s. my english wouldn’t be so good without the spell check... praise the lord for that!!! :lol: