Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I posted this under the acne research section, but I don't know how many people look in that section - so I'm posting it here too.

Successful Treatment of Acne Vulgaris Using a New Method

Results of a Randomized Vehicle-Controlled Trial of Short-Contact Therapy With 0.1% Tazarotene Gel

Susan Bershad, MD; Giselle Kranjac Singer, BS; Janice E. Parente, PhD; Mei-Heng Tan, MD; Daniel W. Sherer, MD; Andrea N. Persaud, MD; Mark Lebwohl, MD

Arch Dermatol. 2002;138:481-489.

ABSTRACT

Context: Short-contact application of 0.1% tazarotene gel for acne was devised to minimize local adverse effects. Its efficacy and safety are unknown.

Objectives: To assess acne improvement and tolerability during 12 weeks of short-contact treatment with 0.1% tazarotene gel vs a nonmedicated gel control.

Design: A randomized, masked, vehicle-controlled trial.

Setting: Outpatient facilities at an urban medical school and an affiliated suburban office practice.

Participants: Ninety-nine volunteers with facial acne were enrolled; 81 completed the study.

Intervention: Thirty-three patients were randomly assigned to each of 3 groups: T + T applied 0.1% tazarotene gel twice daily, T + V applied 0.1% tazarotene gel once daily and vehicle gel once daily, and V + V applied vehicle gel twice daily. Patients adjusted the contact period as tolerated, between 30 seconds and 5 minutes per application.

Main Outcome Measures: Acne efficacy by reduction in acne lesions, treatment success (50%-100% improvement in global response to treatment) and improvement in overall disease severity. Local adverse effects, scored from none to severe.

Results By week 12: T + T and T + V achieved significantly greater improvement in acne than V + V based on mean percentage reduction in noninflammatory lesions (46% and 41% vs 2%; P = .002) and inflammatory lesions (38% and 34% vs 9%; P = .01), percentage of treatment successes (64% and 61% vs 15%; P<.001), and reduction in overall disease severity (30% and 29% vs 3%; P<.001). Local adverse effects did not differ significantly among the 3 groups after week 4.

Conclusion: Short-contact 0.1% tazarotene gel therapy is a safe and effective new method of acne treatment.

what do they mean by "vehicle"?...or is that just the placebo/control substance?

also, they said they had the patients vary the contact time from 30 secs to 5 mins as can be tolerated by the patient...does that mean that after 5 mins (at the most), the patients washed the tazorac off their skin?

can someone please dumb this down a little bit? otherwise, good post :)

what do they mean by "vehicle"?...or is that just the placebo/control substance?

also, they said they had the patients vary the contact time from 30 secs to 5 mins as can be tolerated by the patient...does that mean that after 5 mins (at the most), the patients washed the tazorac off their skin?

what he said

Sure - its only the abstract summary from the study, so it doesn't have all the details. The vehicle is the placebo substance - its the same vehicle gel (minus the Tazorac) used to deliver the tazorac to those not in the control group. And yes, they washed the Taz off after 30 sec to 5 min at the most (they worked up to the 5 min, and were allowed to back off to lower time spans if they got any irritation).

I tried to attach the full verision of the study, but it takes up too much attachment space. I'm trying to figure out how to post a link. If I figure it out, I'll post it here.

My daughter was prescribed this today (at age 8!). She was told to leave it on for 2 minutes and wash it off. (of course I oversee the whole thing)

It seems pretty drastic stuff for juvenile acne, but she had one cyst so he started with this. Is there initial breakout with this stuff?? Anyone know?

When I started my Tazarac treatment, it made my skin itch tremendously and so I had to be careful how much I used. The acne got better after 6 months of using it. Now 3 years later, I've become immune to it and it doesn't work for me at all, other than dry out my skin. I tried everything for my cystic acne and now nothing works for me. My problem is hormonal.

Anyhow, good luck.