Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-SJ-

Dark Spots On A Dark Skinned Person...

I am an African-American male, and while my skin tone isn't extremely dark (I actually have a caramel complexion), it is compared to a fair skin person.

What would you guys recommend for hyperpigmented spots besides hydroquinone? I've been trying prodcuts with that in it for awhile,but they dont seem to be helping all that much.

Any sure fire remedies are appreciated. :)

i'd like to know as well........ I sometimes do gycolic peels which do help but the downtime is really long for me , i know people who have done tca peels to lighten their dark spots also kojic acid and mulberry and i think bearberry are supposed to be good hth

I'm Asian and I have a pretty light complexion, but I still get brown marks.. its pretty bad (light background with purple/brown spots). I am currently using kojic acid. Why don't you try hydroquinone? I would use it, but I'm currently using benzoyl peroxide.

Hey, are you sure your using hydroquinone properly? It takes a little while to see results, but I used it fairly unsuccessfully for a few years, and now I think I've gotten the hang of it. Basically, it's the only thing that has ever worked effectively for me. I'm Indian and I have brown-yellow skin, so I get the dark spots a lot too, which are soo much more traumatic for me than any pimple. You should probably use a product with 4% hydroquinone if you can get your hands on it, which would have to be through a dermatologist or maybe at a spa or even online, but otherwise 2% is the most I think you can get without prescription. Basically, don't spot treat with it if that's what you've been doing. It won't work and it'll make your skin blotchier and just bleach the skin around the spot at the same time. Apply it like a lotion to your entire face, especially rubbing it into the pigmented areas, and within a few weeks you should see definitive results. I saw major results in less than a week, and this is from someone who has struggled to get rid of marks for a long time. Also, definitely don't use it with benzoyl peroxide, like mentioned earlier. It causes adverse reactions on your skin. Sorry, I know this response is in direct conflict with the title of the thread, but I just thought I'd add this.

^ He may not be using it because of all the health risks that come with the use of 4% hydroquinone. If you want a more natural route thats "safer," look into kojic acid. I read somewhere that 1% kojic acid is equivalent to 4% hydroquinone. I am currentl yon 4% kojic acid. It works the same as hydroquinone (to reduce the development of melanin) which in turn fades the brown marks.

BUMP!!

More recommendations PLEASE,guys. I've been breaking out a bit more lately,and I just need something different that will be effective. :(

1: Dermatol Surg. 1997 Mar;23(3):171-4; discussion 175. Links

Glycolic acid peels for postinflammatory hyperpigmentation in black patients. A comparative study.Burns RL, Prevost-Blank PL, Lawry MA, Lawry TB, Faria DT, Fivenson DP.

Department of Dermatology, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan 48202, USA.

BACKGROUND: Treatment of postinflammatory hyperpigmentation in patients of Fitzpatrick skin types IV, V, and VI is difficult. Glycolic acid peels are useful for pigment dyschromias in caucasians; however, there are no controlled studies examining their safety and efficacy in dark-complexioned individuals. OBJECTIVE: To determine if serial glycolic acid peels provide additional improvement when compared with a topical regimen of hydroquinone and tretinoin. METHODS: Nineteen patients with Fitzpatrick skin type IV, V, or VI were randomized to a control or peel group. The control group applied 2% hydroquinone/10% glycolic acid gel twice daily and 0.05% tretinoin cream at night. The peel patients used the same topical regimen and, in addition, received six serial glycolic acid peels (68% maximum concentration). Patients were evaluated with photography, colorimetry, and subjectively. RESULTS: Sixteen patients completed the study. Both treatment groups demonstrated improvement, but the patients receiving the glycolic acid peels showed a trend toward more rapid and greater improvement. The peel group also experienced increased lightening of the normal skin. CONCLUSIONS: This pilot study demonstrates that serial glycolic acid peels provide an additional benefit, with minimal adverse effects, for the treatment of postinflammatory hyperpigmentation in dark-complexioned individuals.

Try using Apple Cider Vinegar, I am unsure if anyone who is using it has dark skin like you. But, you could be the first that I know of to have success. Post it in the thread I amde and ask if anyone who is currently using it has dark skinned. I hope you give it a try and have great results!

Yeah,I've been tryin' ACV lately. I dab it onto a wet towel to dilute it a bit. I'm wondering if that is what is breaking me out more,even.

Also,like I said,I have more of a caramel complexion...sort of like someone of Indian heritage if that helps.

I tried Glycolic Acid for a while as well,but I did not water it down,so I may try that again soon. But is there any store where I can but the Kojic Acid?

Yeah,I've been tryin' ACV lately. I dab it onto a wet towel to dilute it a bit. I'm wondering if that is what is breaking me out more,even.

Also,like I said,I have more of a caramel complexion...sort of like someone of Indian heritage if that helps.

I tried Glycolic Acid for a while as well,but I did not water it down,so I may try that again soon. But is there any store where I can but the Kojic Acid?

Breakouts with ACV are common. You can try using a glycolic acid lotion or cream nightly and should see some improvement in a month.

Know anywhere where I can get the cream or lotion in a store?

I bought Glycolic Acid online before,but I'd like to avoid online shopping IF POSSIBLE. If not,I'll do it.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...Y-PLST-0-SEARCH

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...Y-PLST-0-SEARCH

Both of those are good products with Glycolic acid. I like the Neutrogena healthy skin lotion night version. I am sure there are other good products with GA. Just go to any drugstore and they should have the above products plus more. Make sure it says it's oil free and doesn't clog pores and it should be fine.

Breakouts with ACV are common. You can try using a glycolic acid lotion or cream nightly and should see some improvement in a month.

And you would know from all the scientific evidence you have presented that ACV does so.

http://www.gnc.com/searchHandler/index.jsp...mp;y=6&x=33

That is from GNC they have two products. It is for dark spots tho not red marks.

I know it's not that hard. I tried that as soon as it was recommended to me. Only found online stores that sold it,and like I said previously,I'd prefer not having to shop online if I don't have to. That's why I asked. ;)

Tap and Smashing,thanks for the links guys. I will try these products out this week. :)

Thanks to people who gave advice as well.