Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have been on antibiotics (Cleosin then Minocycline) for five weeks now. This weekend, I got three new cysts (hard, small nodules) on the right cheek and a new one along my left jawline. They just don't stop coming. My skin doesn't look horrible because it's mostly on my jawline and my hair hides it... but I get at least one or two nodules a week!!

I've been on 10g of B-5 for almost 4-months now, and I'm wheat-free, sugar free, everything free. My skin is actually very nice, except for these damn cysts!

I'm going back to the derm tomorrow. Should I mention accutane? I can't imagine my acne is actually bad enough, but antibiotics won't even touch it.

I'm torn, because I'm also still waiting for my birth control to kick in... last time I was on Yasmin, my skin was definitely better.

I'm hoping he'll mention it. I don't know. Last week he said prednisone again, but I flat-out refused. He injects a couple of them each week, but I can't do this for the rest of my life.

Thanks for your suggestions. It's all so frustrating, isn't it?

yes acne is the most frustrating thing ever i think lol

my acne isnt really bad now but i am going for roaccutane for the second time, i only get small spots but i get them every day and they scar. Last time i saw my derm (2 months ago) she was considering putting me on accutane but then decided to try me on trimethoprim first and if that doesn't work put me on accutane. Like you said nothing else i try seems to have any effect on it, just tell your derm you have tried all these different antibiotics and none of them are working so you need something stronger. Hopefully your derm then may mention accutane, also if you have and scarring mention that and say you dont want it to get worse

Thanks for the answer.

I'm going to show the derm my four new cysts on Wednesday and see what he suggests. Obviously, the minocycline isn't doing its job, but I don't know if I'm prepared to ask for accutane just yet.

Mainly, I'm afraid of the initial breakout...

Thanks for the answer.

I'm going to show the derm my four new cysts on Wednesday and see what he suggests. Obviously, the minocycline isn't doing its job, but I don't know if I'm prepared to ask for accutane just yet.

I start accutane the 15th. I am also worried about the initial breakout. BUT my doctor (whom I fully trust) told me that she will start me on a very very low dose (around 20mg??) so that my chances of an intial breakout will be much smaller. and if I do have one, it won't be anything more severe than the breakouts I have now.

So if you do decide to take accutane, just ask your doctor if he can start you on a low dose. maybe it will help..(i'm going to find out) :)

Thanks for the answer.

the intial breakout doesn't always happen, i know when i was on roaccutane my skin improved from day 1 and i never had a breakout. Even if you do get a breakout at first dont worry because it will get better quickly

I'm going back to the derm again tomorrow for my weekly appointment of absolutely nothing helpful other than a cortisone injection.

I've gotten FIVE new cysts in the past week, while on my third week of minocycline. So, I am basically going to walk into his office and tell him that I'm ready to give up.

I want him to offer me accutane, I am afraid to ask for it. Not a good attitude, I guess.

He'll probably offer me prednisone again, and I will say no again. I have battled persistent cystic acne for the past two years. What would one week on a steroid possibly do?

I have no idea what he's going to offer me tomorrow, but I can't stay on the same regimen.

My skin is perfectly clear except for the hard, painful little lumps all along my jawline. I don't have a single pimple, but I have eight hard little balls under my skin, one of which I have had for four months now.

I wish I had the courage to ask for accutane, but I am feel the need to build up evidence that *nothing else works*.

I hope he offers, but I bet he won't.

I'm a wimp for being too afraid to ask, instead I'm sitting here and looking at people's accutane galleries and crying like an idiot. :(

I'm going back to the derm again tomorrow for my weekly appointment of absolutely nothing helpful other than a cortisone injection.

I've gotten FIVE new cysts in the past week, while on my third week of minocycline. So, I am basically going to walk into his office and tell him that I'm ready to give up.

I want him to offer me accutane, I am afraid to ask for it. Not a good attitude, I guess.

He'll probably offer me prednisone again, and I will say no again. I have battled persistent cystic acne for the past two years. What would one week on a steroid possibly do?

I have no idea what he's going to offer me tomorrow, but I can't stay on the same regimen.

My skin is perfectly clear except for the hard, painful little lumps all along my jawline. I don't have a single pimple, but I have eight hard little balls under my skin, one of which I have had for four months now.

I wish I had the courage to ask for accutane, but I am feel the need to build up evidence that *nothing else works*.

I hope he offers, but I bet he won't.

I'm a wimp for being too afraid to ask, instead I'm sitting here and looking at people's accutane galleries and crying like an idiot. :(

Check it out, I know where you're at! You have to have a sense of humor about it or you will drive yourself batsh*t crazy. Your avatar says it all, stop hiding! You are the patient. Tell the doctor what treatment you freakin' want. DAMNIT!

Avoid the whole introspective 'why me' and self-pity thoughts because I've been there hardcore and it helps zero zilch none. This is a temp phase and you gotta realize that. Sleep on it and you'll feel better in the morning. =) Promises!

Please please PLEASE just mention accutane! Especially in the case of hormonal acne which is a pain in the ass to deal with, my skin just doesn't respond to antibiotics.

The initial breakout does not happen for everyone, FYI. Even so, don't let the threat of one occuring prevent you from accutane treatment. I am one of the lucky ones who has never experienced an IB from 'tane.

Thanks, King and Ms Kitty. Yeah, I was being really melodramatic last night and working myself into a depression. It was no good for anybody, and I just spent the night being mopey.

However... good news!

The derm actually suggested accutane today!

First, he said, "I'm going to put you back on the antibiotic" and I told him that I never stopped taking Minocycline.

He says, "Oh. It's not working. You have the most stubborn acne I've ever seen. "

Bingo!

Then he says... "I'm going to switch you to doxycycline... but I'm tempted to give you accutane."

I totally jumped at it! I said, "I've had this acne for so long that I'm really ready to take accutane!"

The only thing is, he said if it gets better in the next month while I'm waiting to get on Accutane, we won't need to put me on it.

I'm going to fill the doxycycline prescription, but I'm not going to take it.

You might as well take it... it won't work a miracle but might keep you under control til you get the accutane. I say this only if you live in the US and didn't already do all the paperwork for IPledge. That can take awhile depending on your derm's office. Congrats and good luck!

Thanks, King and Ms Kitty. Yeah, I was being really melodramatic last night and working myself into a depression. It was no good for anybody, and I just spent the night being mopey.

However... good news!

The derm actually suggested accutane today!

First, he said, "I'm going to put you back on the antibiotic" and I told him that I never stopped taking Minocycline.

He says, "Oh. It's not working. You have the most stubborn acne I've ever seen. "

Bingo!

Then he says... "I'm going to switch you to doxycycline... but I'm tempted to give you accutane."

I totally jumped at it! I said, "I've had this acne for so long that I'm really ready to take accutane!"

The only thing is, he said if it gets better in the next month while I'm waiting to get on Accutane, we won't need to put me on it.

lol silly derm, he said you have the most stubborn acne hes ever seen because minocycline didn't clear you up after a month. Minocycline probably only cleared about 1% of the peoples acne in the world actually the percentage probably isn't even that high lol. Well done on getting accutane (well kinda getting it), if you want to make sure you get it when you go back just eat loads of junk food and drink beer for a month and you will get it when you go back :dance:

lol silly derm, he said you have the most stubborn acne hes ever seen because minocycline didn't clear you up after a month. Minocycline probably only cleared about 1% of the peoples acne in the world actually the percentage probably isn't even that high lol. Well done on getting accutane (well kinda getting it), if you want to make sure you get it when you go back just eat loads of junk food and drink beer for a month and you will get it when you go back :dance:

Ha, I know! He must see a lot of people with great skin!

Ha, I know! He must see a lot of people with great skin!

im convinced a lot of derms dont know how acne works, they read all the books and pass the exams but its no substutute for actually living with the stuff.

Thanks Abby!

Yeah, this derm doesn't think there's a connection between birth control and acne. Hey, whatever, as long as he prescribes accutane, he can think whatever he wants.

TAKE the antibiotic...it will help keep it from getting worse but won't make it better enough in a month that you won't still get that Accutane. And if you happen to have a clear day when you go in in 30 days just say that you feel a few coming in and you are always clear this time of the month. Or something like that. Belive me it could get worse if you don't take the antibiotic. DONT let that happen!!!