Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lucy_87

how much does roaccutane cost if u go private?

hi guys, just wondering if any knows how much a course of accutane costs if u go privately in the UK instead of through the NHS? my doctor is pretty useless and apparently where im from i could be waiting up to a year before i even get to see a derm! seems a bit crazy to me. would really appreciate any ideas.

hi guys, just wondering if any knows how much a course of accutane costs if u go privately in the UK instead of through the NHS? my doctor is pretty useless and apparently where im from i could be waiting up to a year before i even get to see a derm! seems a bit crazy to me. would really appreciate any ideas.

I am not in the UK, but it may help to give you some numbers. I pay HKD3300 for 30 days supply of Accutane 30mg per day. That is about GBP250. A higher dose of Accutane will probably cost more. That doesn't include blood tests which may about around GBP50

can we bring a prescription from overseas to the UK for NHS sponsored? 'cos i'm studying long term in the UK and qualify for NHS. not sure how it'd work though ...

can we bring a prescription from overseas to the UK for NHS sponsored? 'cos i'm studying long term in the UK and qualify for NHS. not sure how it'd work though ...

Not sure. When I told my GP I was in the middle of an Accutane course which was started overseas I was told that they should be able to refer me to a derm as soon as possible (i.e. without the wait). Didn't have to take them up on the offer in the end.

What I did was switch to private after i got refered to a dermatologist by my doc to cut out all the waiting, and after seeing the private dermatologist and getting a roaccutane prescription i switched back to the NHS... Cause once your on a course of accutane and switch back to the NHS they have to set you up with appointments monthly- so no waiting :cool: does that make sense? o.O Anyway, the thing is, even though i was only going privately for say, 2 or 3 months it was still hella expensive... like a couple hundred pounds for each visit to the derm and blood test , oh and pregnancy test :wacko: every month. Im not even sure how much the actual accutane was but the total = expensive :pray: Thank god my nan has lots of money!

So yeah, if you can afford to go privately to start with then always try to get switched back onto the NHS once you have your prescription for accutane, my dermatologist even helped us to do that. It'll save you tons of £££

G'Luck!

I'm not from the UK, so can't help you much with this. Luckily in Italy it's paid almost completely by the insurance so we just spend like 4€ on a box (30 pills) which is awesome...

But I do know that in the US it costs so much, and not everybody can afford it...about the UK you should really ask your derm...and well, yes, waiting 1 year before having an appointment with a derm it's TOTALLY crazy!

To see a derm private it about £60 for a consultation. Tane would be about anywhere from £450 to about £600 depending on your body weight, maybe a bit more or less but therabouts. A blood test would also be charged for probably about £30-50.

Hope that helps

oh crap ive got it good here then if it really does cost that much.

The first consultation cost with the doc was $180 which lasted 10 minutes. Any further checkups are $125, and with the insurance my family has it covers 80% of the appointment cost which is awesome.

Isotane which is the brand over here in NewZealand is fully subsidised by the government and cost me a mere $4 for a one off dispensary cost, and nothing for the repeat prescription the next month.

But 100's of Pounds seems sooooo crazy, and i really do feel for those people who where its not even an option :<

In the US it would cost me $700 a month out of pocket. If you order online [standard disclaimer] it costs me $150 a month.

I ordered a 3 month buffer from online to cover iPledge and health insurance snags which have already happened and I'm only 15 days into the process! :angry: