Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Smokeyjay

Baking soda too rough on my skin?? Advice plz

I'm using baking soda to exfoliate my skin. I make a paste with water. When I put it on though, I think it is too rough on my skin. It feels like sand paper.

Is this natural? I'm worrying that I'm over scrubbing and removing barriers in my skin.

It also has a stinging sensation. I try to be as careful as possible, only gently moving it across my skin. And when I wash it off, I don't touch my skin but instead throw water at my face lots of times before it goes away.

Is it suppose to have such a rough feeling? I thought this was bad.

Hey Smokey, I just had a bad experience with baking soda. I did the scrub and got what looked like a mild sunburn. It was just too harsh. If it stung like you said it did, you might want to lay off, because my face is a red, dry, burning mess right now! OUCH! I'd feel terrible if that happened to you too....

I have started to use the baking soda scrub twice a day, but I just mix it in with my Cetaphil cleanser. It does not seem as rough as when I just put it in water, and my skin has not been smoother in ages! I also use the ACV toner afterwards, to balance the skin, and it seems to help. I have only been doing this for about a week, but I can already tell a difference, and I have not had any new breakouts. After the ACV dries, I use Olay Regenerist Cream to mosturize, and it feels really nice!

i believe that baking soda, ph-wise, is a relatively strong base, and thus can be just as irritating as an analogous acid- if you are interested in exfoliation, i've found that using a clean, gentle washcloth when cleansing at night (or in the morning, which ever you prefer) works better (and is less irritating) than "exfoliating scrubs" and the like- hope that helps-

just a heads up! i used to use baking soda because i loved the smoothness of my skin after, but i didnt notice any improvement in acne, maybe over time even a little worse. when i asked my doc about it he said it is no better than alkaline soaps, and so if you love the fine exfoliation it provides, you should use acv, salicyclic or glycolic acid after to replenish the barrier. helathy skin is actually naturally acidic and bacteria thrive on basees but die off on acids. i did the two for a long time then got lazy. Helped with oil and texture, not sure about active acne.just give yourself the time in between to let your skin calm before applying the acid. i used to need about 20 minutes.