Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
willow569

Tazorac study

Successful Treatment of Acne Vulgaris Using a New Method

Results of a Randomized Vehicle-Controlled Trial of Short-Contact Therapy With 0.1% Tazarotene Gel

Susan Bershad, MD; Giselle Kranjac Singer, BS; Janice E. Parente, PhD; Mei-Heng Tan, MD; Daniel W. Sherer, MD; Andrea N. Persaud, MD; Mark Lebwohl, MD

Arch Dermatol. 2002;138:481-489.

ABSTRACT

Context Short-contact application of 0.1% tazarotene gel for acne was devised to minimize local adverse effects. Its efficacy and safety are unknown.

Objectives To assess acne improvement and tolerability during 12 weeks of short-contact treatment with 0.1% tazarotene gel vs a nonmedicated gel control.

Design A randomized, masked, vehicle-controlled trial.

Setting Outpatient facilities at an urban medical school and an affiliated suburban office practice.

Participants Ninety-nine volunteers with facial acne were enrolled; 81 completed the study.

Intervention Thirty-three patients were randomly assigned to each of 3 groups: T + T applied 0.1% tazarotene gel twice daily, T + V applied 0.1% tazarotene gel once daily and vehicle gel once daily, and V + V applied vehicle gel twice daily. Patients adjusted the contact period as tolerated, between 30 seconds and 5 minutes per application.

Main Outcome Measures Acne efficacy by reduction in acne lesions, treatment success (50%-100% improvement in global response to treatment) and improvement in overall disease severity. Local adverse effects, scored from none to severe.

Results By week 12, T + T and T + V achieved significantly greater improvement in acne than V + V based on mean percentage reduction in noninflammatory lesions (46% and 41% vs 2%; P = .002) and inflammatory lesions (38% and 34% vs 9%; P = .01), percentage of treatment successes (64% and 61% vs 15%; P<.001), and reduction in overall disease severity (30% and 29% vs 3%; P<.001). Local adverse effects did not differ significantly among the 3 groups after week 4.

Conclusion Short-contact 0.1% tazarotene gel therapy is a safe and effective new method of acne treatment.

this is interesting i used to leave on the tazorac for about 12 hours it was hell for my skin... ive been off of it for 3 months now due to how bad my face had dryed...

would leaving it on for only 5 minutes give me the same results as leaving it on for 12?

this is interesting i used to leave on the tazorac for about 12 hours it was hell for my skin... ive been off of it for 3 months now due to how bad my face had dryed...

would leaving it on for only 5 minutes give me the same results as leaving it on for 12?

I'm not sure - its possible that you could have gotten similar results. In the full version of the paper (which I can send to you or send a link if you want to read it), the authors discuss this in their conclusion section. They compared the effectiveness found in their study to the effectiveness in studies where subjects left the Tazorac on all night. They indicate that the results were comparable - I think leaving it on for the shorter time frame was slightly less effective (but not by much) than leaving it on all night, but when you factor in the irritation levels that people get by using it overnight, the authors felt that it might make sense to still only use it for the shorter time period.

thats very interesting... do you have the link?

it's be appreciated... do you leave your tazorac on for 5 minutes? does it get you dry in that period of time? or does any irritation occur?

thanks alott, i really wanna look into this because i stopeed tazorac due to irritation and dryness even though i was 100% clear...

thats very interesting... do you have the link?

it's be appreciated... do you leave your tazorac on for 5 minutes? does it get you dry in that period of time? or does any irritation occur?

thanks alott, i really wanna look into this because i stopeed tazorac due to irritation and dryness even though i was 100% clear...

I don't use Tazorac - I actually use a non-prescription retinoid Derm A Gel (from a line created by the co-developer of Retin A). I'm just interested in research on retinoids and other acne products, so I regularly scan the journals for interesting research - either for my own info or for other people here who might be using the products. I read a post by someone whose derm has them applying the Taz for brief time intervals, and they were asking if this was typical. It seems to be a reasonble treatment option, based on what the article says. Given the number of posts that I have seen with people stating how much irriation they got from Taz, I thought this might be good info to pass along. Let me look up the link and I will post it for you.

i leave mine on all nite. i just get facial itchiness. i just wiggle my nose around and scrunch my face to relieve the itchiness --so i dont touch my face. it helps. by the time i jump into bed, im fast asleep so i cant tell if the itchiness is still there or not. hehehe

I think most people also leave it on all night - unless they are just starting, then sometimes derms may have them start with gradually longer applications so the skin doesn't get too irritated. I think its an interesting idea not just for Taz, but for some of the other retinoids as well (for those whose skin gets easily irritated). I wonder if it would only work for Taz because its so strong, or if it might be effective for other retinoids as well.