Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
medusa

Literature on Acne Scarring

I'm wondering if anyone here knows of any literature (novels, short stories, poems, etc.) in which the protagonist or another key character grapples with acne scars. Anyone know? I know there are lots of fictional characters who happen to have scarring, but any lit in which scarring is treated as a central part of a character's identity/struggle?

Only thing that comes to mind is that one minor character from the movie Grease who was trying to steal every other man's girl. His face was riddled with acne pitting and he was considered the bad guy.

one of the Deatheaters Rookwood (think thats who) on Harry Potter is mentioned as having horrible pock marks but hes just a badguy. Ron Weasley was also told by a painting in St. Mungos that he would get a horrible skin illness that would leave him pockmarked and disfigured. (Yeah I read too much lol)

Sorry but acne scars as the main dramatic draw would be an extremely boring movie or book.

Hey Edward James Olmos would make a great bad guy! He has the pockmarks for it!!

This is a great question. In my opinion, the literary work that best deals with the situation we are in is Chekov's "Uncle Vanya." Although he is not the protagonist, there is a character with the nickname "Waffles." The play essentially is about the beautiful people versus the plain or ugly people. Chekov remember was a physician. The bottom line is that plain, ugly or scarred people have to live their life on the sidelines. We aren't allowed to participate fully in society. Our condition dooms us to work which is our role in life. The last lines of the play are not encouraging. I won't spoil it by telling you.