Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marco23

Whats up with bashing proactiv

Hi

All I keep reading is bad stuff about proactiv, it's amazing on how there is complaints from people that used it for 2 or 3 days how can you possibly decide if a product works in such little time, then I've read users that used it for 6 years and they say it sucked why the hell would you use a product for such a long time if it SUCKS!

Anyway I just joined and currently use proactiv, by the way its hard to have something work if everyone says it doesn't how can you feel good about what your using? Many people use the CSR doesn't mean I'll shit on it even if it didn't work for the sake of others. All skin type is different and if something out there works for everyone than we would all be using it, thats how the pills stuff started like Accutane, solution is revert to a drug to fix a problem. I'm not bashing it, I agree you should use it if it works.

Although proactiv is really strong if used twice a day and the whole system at once but it works nonetheless it's still the same freakin 2.5% bp ingrediant that helps, and if people are used to 5% then use the cleanser and the repair lotion and you'll see its the same difference. The products are almost all made the same and the marketing is different.

Sure all those actors are bull shit I agree but who cares how is that any different than a magazine that says it works or a poster on some bus. They have the money there expensive but they get the money to advertise.

There seems to be many users that are happy and many users who don't know how to use the products or use it for a day and say it sucks, but still got sucked into buying it, therefore the marketing worked.

Anyway I just joined and want to understand why so much negativity on some products, maybe something I don't know about!

Any feedback welcome.

Keep it nice i'm new! lol

When something doesn't work for acne, people are naturally going to get very frusterated. Proactiv costs a freaking load and when it doesn't work, I got pissed off myself. I used it for a while. I admit, I picked my skin, etc. and who knows, maybe it would have worked if I wasn't an idiot, but whatever. I gave away around $100+ worth of it because I don't find it helpful.

It works for some people, which is great, but people bash it because they are mad about spending nothing short of $893 billion on their acne and it not working.

You named a bunch of the reasons people hate it.

For many, it doesn't work. The most common complaint I have heard is that it works for awhile then some months in it stops working.

Also, it's a ripoff. You can get equal or better quality products that would be just as effective or moreso for less.

It's overhyped. That's all.

Overpriced.

It ruined my skin. Gave me rosacea and exczema. Even though I followed the instructions perfectly.

Besides that, I don't like giant power house companies like Guthy Renker that only care about putting money in their greedy pockets. Just like the stupid celebrities who advertised, but never used their shit product.

I have never tried proactiv, but I have tried BP which I didn't find particularly helpful. What I dislike intensely about the marketing strategy for proactiv as well as other anti-acne products is that they leave you with the impression that it WILL clear acne and, for many people, that simply isn't true. People who have moderate or severe acne are pretty much wasting their time with ANY topical only treatment and these people should be getting professional help - whether that be traditional medical or more alternative approaches. These commercials do not acknowledge that. You can waste alot of money and more importantly time trying so called 'cures' which are simply not going to work. In respect of proactiv, I also object to the fact that they get celebrities to tell you how wonderful the product is when the chances are that they have either never used it, never had a real and persistent acne problem or had acne and cleared up by other means. A case in point is Jessica Simpson. I understand that she actually cleared up using Accutane. Does she mention that whilst endorsing Proactiv??

why people hate proactiv:

1. AHA and bp won't usually clear up severe acne. Bad cases probably have some underlying causes that topicals in themselves won't fix...poor diet, overly hard water, dry air, etc etc etc

2. If used twice a day without moisturizer, it will over dry and irritate the skin making the acne worse in quite a few cases.

That being said, it's a very good program for mild acne if you

1. Don't use the topical lotion twice a day (at least not if you have sensitive skin).

2. Add glycerin to the glycolic acid toner to make it moisturizing

I have yet to find a better toner (alcohol-free, decent-% glycolic acid) or facial scrub (very gentle scrubbing particles that actually work to exfoliate evenly) than the ProActiv knockoff ones I buy at Walgreens.

It seems to me that, um, EVERYTHING gets bashed here. It's not a complaint, merely an observation. I think it just comes with the territory when you gather a group of frustrated people who suffer from acne. If Proactiv is their miracle product, why would they join here other than to become evangels, in which case we'll all just make fun of them?

For the record, I like Proactiv, but it's too expensive for me and not as effective on my skin as CSR.

it worked for me but that only lasted like 6 months (years ago).. perhaps i got immune or something. i do agree w/ previous posters that people can be very let's call it passionate when it comes to acne fighting products :]