Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Young Scrappy

Laser Treatment - Oily Skin

Hello,

I have a question that I need some help. I have some mild acne scarring for my adolescent years. My doctors suggested laser treatment. I've had one treatment and it seems okay.

I have rather oily skin like most Indians. According to the stuff I've read on the Internet, oily skin ages better than other skin types.

"Is it necessary to find a treatment for oily skin? After all, oily skin is not always a negative thing. For example, oily skin ages at a slower rate than other skin types such as dry skin. Over time, less wrinkles and fine lines develop in the skin. In addition, oil production decreases with age, so why worry about it now when eventually it likely won't be a problem?"

-http://www.healthy-skincare.com/treatment-for-oily-skin.html

And from understanding and what I've read Smoothbeam, the laser I'm using, directly alters the structure of my sebaceous glands. It doesn't explain any further.

" Smoothbeam creates a mild thermal injury just below the skin's surface, which alters the structure of the sebaceous glands, the root cause of acne. This allows for effective, long-lasting acne clearance. Smoothbeam emits a wavelength of light that is strongly absorbed by water in the skin. As the laser penetrates into the skin, heat is generated in and around the sebaceous glands in the upper layers of the skin."

-http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=49716

The question is, will this type of treatment nullify the benefit of my oily skin? I'm going to ask my dermatologist but he is the one that made the suggestion so I expect some bias. I don't really put too much faith in the Internet. I don't know any dermatoligist personally, so I didn't know where to go. Your help would be very appreciated. I know I'm a bit of lurker but I assure I will post pictures and keep people updated if I continue with the treatment.

Well, there are different kinds of skin "oils".

Sebum, from what I've read, is pretty useless. It doesn't moisturize the skin and, as we all know, it contributes to pore blockages.

But epidermal lipids are a different story; they provide a protective barrier on your skin that helps keep moisture in. So the more of those you have, the better your skin will age.

I don't think that altering the sebaceous glands would be a change for the worse.

While some have reported (i think just a few) breakouts after smoothbeam. It really clears me up. I had around 6? I think of them and plan on doing more. It doesn't do wonders for scars but scars in the newer stages I think could benefit alot from it. I'm not sure my skin is much less oily but it seems to breakout alot less than it used to.

oil is good for the skin but to a point. Your body doesnt need much oil to age well and acne prone people generally have 400% more oil than their acne free counterparts. Also dry skin ages badly and nobody with acne scars has or ever will have dry skin so i dont think aging from dry skin is a prob for anyone on here whether u go on accutane or use the lasers.

After accutane I produce about 50% of the oil I once did. I wash morning and night and occasionally use an oil absorbing wipe if I get warm as I produce much more oil at those times. Generally speaing I have a nice glow to my skin and dont have much excess oil and no acne.

I really appreciate everyone's remarks. It's so hard to get honest advice on medical issues. From all the comments, I'm leaning toward continuing my treatment. Please keep the comments coming.

I am currently getting smoothbeam at $100 per session. Is the price low enough to warrant suspicion?

How do I know to trust the technicians? They seem honest but that can be salesmanship.

i wouldnt worry about the low price. you're still getting the same technology. i would be wary if you were getting it cheap and it was like a smoothbeam knockoff made in indonesia though.

Thats a good deal if it is keeping u oil and acne free. Its much better than taking accutane if it works. While I was on accutane I had to pay doctor visits and blood tests out of pocket so that was prob $100 or more right there.

Currently I use Nicomide, differin, vitamin a from my derm, and a hair skin and nail supp from my derm. Nicomide $80, Differin $20, vitamin a $15, hair skin and nails supp $8. Thats $123 a month that I currently spend plus I have to pay a copay each time I visit the dermo. But my skin is great so its not a big deal.

They are using for Smoothbeam for sure. However, the doctor who is the medical director is not a dermatologist. Does that present a problem?

Thanks for all the comments. Keith, I will check out those meds.

Thats a good deal if it is keeping u oil and acne free. Its much better than taking accutane if it works. While I was on accutane I had to pay doctor visits and blood tests out of pocket so that was prob $100 or more right there.

Currently I use Nicomide, differin, vitamin a from my derm, and a hair skin and nail supp from my derm. Nicomide $80, Differin $20, vitamin a $15, hair skin and nails supp $8. Thats $123 a month that I currently spend plus I have to pay a copay each time I visit the dermo. But my skin is great so its not a big deal.

Hey Keithr - what is Nicomide?

Its a relatively new medication that is basically a bunch of suppliments not found in any store put together. It is marketed for the treatment of acne, rosacea, and some other stuff on the skin. It is $80 even with insurance as there is no generic and it has vitamins in it so they dont pay for it.

Help anybody, is it common for non-dermatologist doctors to be medical directors of the laser treatment centers? The center has all certified technicians. I just want be cautious.