Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
K_OS

Athletes and Acne

I am new to this site but I have been using the product for almost two months now and things seem to be going ok. Here is what my typical day looks like:

Morning and Night - Cleanser while in shower, BP (off the site), moisturizer.

My issue is that I am a University athlete and I have training or practise everyday. What I have been doing after training is washing my face with something called neutrogena cream cleanser. I've been using that because it seems to be pretty mild and I don't want to avoid washing my face after workouts. I thought I read somewhere that I should not be washing my face this way but it feels like I should be cleaning my skin at these times. Feedback?

Furthermore, I guess I would call my acne mild, but what is extremely extremely bothering to me is that I usually go a couple weeks with skin that is near perfect and I feel like there is hope but then I will get one or two LARGE pimples on my forehead or nose. I do not know what the proper name for these pimples are but I call them 'underground' pimples and they are not easily popped. Once I tried to pop one of them and my entire forehead swelled up and I could not even express my anger and frustration! But here's the thing, sometimes I think I get these large pimples on the side of my nose because I use my shirt or jersey to wipe sweat off my face at practise because I thought it was best for my skin but I am now thinking it is not. Sometimes I also take a wet cloth or towel and just dap my skin after sweating, this seems to work better.

Anyways, I apologize for the length of this, but I would appreciate any feedback on my situation or just any comment from people who are in a similar situation.

Thank you

yeah the lady who works at 24 hour fitness has always got nasty zits. theres probably some athetics-acne connections.

My issue is that I am a University athlete and I have training or practise everyday. What I have been doing after training is washing my face with something called neutrogena cream cleanser. I've been using that because it seems to be pretty mild and I don't want to avoid washing my face after workouts. I thought I read somewhere that I should not be washing my face this way but it feels like I should be cleaning my skin at these times. Feedback?

Furthermore, I guess I would call my acne mild, but what is extremely extremely bothering to me is that I usually go a couple weeks with skin that is near perfect and I feel like there is hope but then I will get one or two LARGE pimples on my forehead or nose. I do not know what the proper name for these pimples are but I call them 'underground' pimples and they are not easily popped. Once I tried to pop one of them and my entire forehead swelled up and I could not even express my anger and frustration! But here's the thing, sometimes I think I get these large pimples on the side of my nose because I use my shirt or jersey to wipe sweat off my face at practise because I thought it was best for my skin but I am now thinking it is not. Sometimes I also take a wet cloth or towel and just dap my skin after sweating, this seems to work better.

Hey,

its really all about finding something that suits you. If the practise is scheduled in the morning, you could easily wait with the regim untill after practise. If its during the day and you've already done the regim in the morning, do you experience any negative sides with washing the face after exercising? Such as itching, redness, dry skin? I would prefere (and suggest) washing the face BEFORE exercising, that way you make sure that you sweat "clean" and then you can only rinse off and moisturize after the practice. Do you experience any bacne? (acne on your back)

As far as the "wipe off with the jersey" goes, its possible that it irritatates your skin causing it to breakout. If you really have to wipe some sweat off, make sure you do it gently. And please, dont pop your 'underground' pimples, i promise you that it will do you more harm than good.

Hi, im also an athlete. Yeah, if the workout/practise etc is in the afternoon, just wait until then to do the morning regimen- thats what I do and am now 100% clear. Exercise is definitely good for you, as is sweating from exercise once you treat your skin properly afterwards with the RIGHT PRODUCTS! Hope that helps!

Yeah I dance and play basketball almost everyday. I also work out doing push-ups and such. I usually try to get up as early as possible so I can do a work out before i use my CSR in the morning.

Other question on same topic:

What if we sweat while just walking on campus? It's 90-100F every day here during the summer? I notice Dan's BP turned one part of my pillow case orange, and I'm very afraid it will be my clothes next :P. I guess we should carry a towel everywhere. Any advice would help, thank you!

hmmm, it may seem a bit old fashioned, but what about a white handkerchief tucked away in your pocket or backpack? For dabbing off sweat during the day.

Thanks for the info. So if I were to schedual my workouts in the morning, should I even rinse my face or touch it at all before a workout, or just get out of bed and go?

Also, I was at the doctor recently and decided to ask her about my face. I was actually hoping that she could get me onto accutane because I saw it work wonders for a good friend of mine but instead she told me that there is a process that you must go through before you get to accutane because of its side effects. So she prescribed me somthing called Cetaphil, but I did not fill the prescription because I had started with BP and it seemed to be going well. Does anyone have any comments on this Cetaphil, and was I right for staying with the BP. Thank you.

hey champ wel cetaphil isnt even a prescription wash in Australia. i think accutane is the best long term treatment. if u think about how long u have been trying different products, i used accuatne for 4 motnhs and i only get the occasional pimple now, it's definately worth it!! so many people try so many different products and get more and more disappointed. best of luck though, good to see some fit/active people on this site