Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi all,

So i don't have a journal here, but i'm on this site religiously reading people's questions, journals and checking out the galleries. Thank you all for so much information and encouragement and i'm so happy that we (people with acne) have somewhere to come to vent and ask questions and report our experiences.

So i hope you don't mind me asking a question.

I'm a 28 year old female, 130lbs and currently on 40/80 amneestam for about six weeks. I was on 40 for the first month. Things are going good so far ie. not many side effects other than dry lips and nose and peeling on the face. Only got a few big spots in the first month, but i'm sure the 80mgs will change that :-)

My issue is that i have really bad scarring on both cheek areas, some really deep pitted scars, but lots of little holes. I have red marks from old cysts, but i'm hopeful they will clear with the accutane.

Some people that i've spoken to about accutane said they knew people that had taken it and they're scarring cleared up. On pharmacist said to me 'he got a new layer of skin and all his scars disappeared'. I understand the pores get smaller, but do the smaller scars really disappear? I'm kinda sceptical. I don't expect the big ones to budge without going through surgery of some sort, which i can't say i'm enamoured with the idea.

Prior to accutane i had about six sessions of laser resurfacing and it was CRAP. My skin looked healthier and more robust for the rest of that day, but it actually changed nothing on my skin.

So i'd really like to hear of peoples experiences with the scarring - positive and negative :-)

Thank you all, and good luck with these crazy drugs we're all taking to be able to show off our skin.

Regards

W.

I'm sorry to tell you that accutane will not help the scarring. After you are done w/ tane (about 6 months after), look into TCA CROSS or excisions for the ice pick scarring you have. They are both very effective for treating ice picks. I have a number of the same "holes" you describe....on my cheeks...and accutane didnt help them AT ALL. Many people have posted about camellia oil.... it works very slowly (up to a year), but it apparently has helped many w/ acne scarring.....thats one thing u can use while u r on 'tane to treat your scars. Do a search on it, I'm using that now (I just got off tane so I have to wait 6 months b4 I can treat my scars), I havent noticed any scar improvement....but its nearly eliminated some fine lines I had around my eyes and mouth (Ive been using it for about a month). Its non-comedogenic and an excellent moisturizer. Anyhow....many people have said that their pores have shrunk during and after accutane because of the decrease in sebum production....but those were pores....not scars. So, if what you have are enlarged pores....then maybe accutane will help shrink them a bit....but if they are true scars...then I'm sorry to say that tane wont do a thing to improve them.

its helped my scarring. I have very small imperfections and some scarred proes from acne pustules. most were a few sheets of paper thin to begin with but have been reduced to imperceptable on the tane. even i have to look for them with my face in the mirror and sometiems i cant find them at all.

Hi all,

So i don't have a journal here, but i'm on this site religiously reading people's questions, journals and checking out the galleries. Thank you all for so much information and encouragement and i'm so happy that we (people with acne) have somewhere to come to vent and ask questions and report our experiences.

So i hope you don't mind me asking a question.

I'm a 28 year old female, 130lbs and currently on 40/80 amneestam for about six weeks. I was on 40 for the first month. Things are going good so far ie. not many side effects other than dry lips and nose and peeling on the face. Only got a few big spots in the first month, but i'm sure the 80mgs will change that :-)

My issue is that i have really bad scarring on both cheek areas, some really deep pitted scars, but lots of little holes. I have red marks from old cysts, but i'm hopeful they will clear with the accutane.

Some people that i've spoken to about accutane said they knew people that had taken it and they're scarring cleared up. On pharmacist said to me 'he got a new layer of skin and all his scars disappeared'. I understand the pores get smaller, but do the smaller scars really disappear? I'm kinda sceptical. I don't expect the big ones to budge without going through surgery of some sort, which i can't say i'm enamoured with the idea.

Prior to accutane i had about six sessions of laser resurfacing and it was CRAP. My skin looked healthier and more robust for the rest of that day, but it actually changed nothing on my skin.

So i'd really like to hear of peoples experiences with the scarring - positive and negative :-)

Thank you all, and good luck with these crazy drugs we're all taking to be able to show off our skin.

Regards

W.

Sorry I can't help w/ ur question I've never taken Accutane but I was wondering what kind of laser treatment u had? Thanks