Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tonypk

AHA lotions and redmarks

Choices choices, guys. I'm new to the forums, however I've been browsing for quite awhile. I use to have such amazing glowing skin, then I hit the age of 19 and I have mild to moderate acne. Nothing that bad, I had a huge cyst by my nose a few weeks ago, but it is much smaller now.

I have a few red marks. I'd say probably 7-10 redmarks or so. I have neutrogena healthy skin lotion, which contains.. I think 8%.

It doesn't sting at all, I don't really know if it's working yet, I've used it for maybe two days. Due to the lack of sting, I was thinking of maybe purchasing Alpha Hydrox Souffle, 12% - It's a higher amount, I'm sure I'd get a tad red, but who cares.

Perhaps I should just use the 8% for a little bit longer, and steadily go into 12%.

Any input? Obviously you guys aren't professionals, but I don't know how skin reacts to certain products, and of course it matters who you are and your skins sensitivity.

Any comments concerning AHA would be appreciated. I rather not be referred to another method i.e. ACV, exfoliation, Fading scar peels, ect.

Ah, that's what I was wondering. If Neutrogena was any good in the long run. I've only used it for about 2-3 days. It's been okay, a tad greasy due to the SPF in it - not so bad though. My main concern are redmarks, but it's not that severe - just a little annoyance when it comes to self esteem. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

Did it help fade your red marks considerabley? I'm sure it wasn't some over night product that amazingly changed your skin, but what product is like that =]

Hey, I just bought the alpha hydrox souffle, I really like it.. i've only used it twice so far though.. and yea, I wait like 5 minutes in the morning after applying it then I put a light layer of my cetaphil moisturizer on.

Keep me updated on how it works for you if you decide to use it, and I'll let ya know how it goes for me. I mainly bought it for all the red marks left on my cheeks from past zits... gawd they are so stubborn

Oh yea, and before this I was using the neutrogena one with aha and now this and no stinging.. which is weird actually cause I have sensitive skin.

good luck

yea the neutrogena stuff did work but it takes time. no matter what product u use it will take time. i dont think there would be a big difference between 8% and 12% so IMO stay with the neutrogena moisturizer cause putting the souffle and then mouisturizer seems like a hassel to me. but patience is key. it will take a few months before ur red marks fade away.

keep us updated with yor AHA (improvement) Tonypk. after half a bottle of Alpha hyrdox n no improvement im starting to lose the sliver of hope i have left on this AHA stuff >_>

Thanks for the replies guys and girls. I'll apply the AHA tomorrow or something then be sure to use my cetaphil moisturizer afterwards. I really don't enjoy cetaphil though, it's so thick and gross feeling.

Anyways, as far as time and patience with redmarks. I know what you mean, mine are really light.. so it shouldn't take too long. I really don't see it taking months in my case, my skin has always been.. honestly.. perfect and glowing. then I hit 19 years old, and shaving irritates my skin.

Like I said, thanks a lot for the replies. I appreciate it, best of luck to all of you with your skin problems as I'm sure you're as annoyed as I am.

Man, I just applied that souffle. It makes my face itch so bad. It doesn't sting that bad, but man does it itch.

Anyone else experience this? lol

K I just bought the AHA hydrox lotion. Waiting for shipping now... Just bought it on Amazon.com

Crosses fingers. The shipping won't ruin the lotion will it?

sorry to hear about the lack of improvement. I use alpha hydrox's 10% enhanced cream twice a day, with moisturizer over it at night, and I am seeing great results after about a month. Maybe your skin is tougher so you need more advanced procedures like a chemical peel. They can do those in like the 40-50% acid range, so the results are more drastic.

Hm, I noticed improvement from Souffle last night. I ended up putting it on.. It itched big time, but no redness, no flakes, it's not dry. However, my redmarks did fade a tad, I had an extreme inflammation near my nose. It's much better today, I'm sure some of you are skeptical, I know I always am after hearing something like this.. but it's really what they make it out to be.

As far as chemical peels, I don't suggest chemical peels to anyone. Burning layers off your face in 2-3 minutes is never a good thing. I don't even care what it'd do for my face, there's no way it's healthy lol. If sun exposure isn't healthy, I'm sure burning your face with a high percent acid with no solution in it isn't either.

Once again, I appreciate the replies guys. I'll keep posting in the next month in this thread to keep you all updated and hopefully get some of you to try this souffle stuff out.

I have been using the souffle for about 4-5 days now and have noticed some of my red marks fading... I am clear other than the red marks........ my fingers are crossed! I can't believe how smooth this stuff makes my skin feel..

sorry to hear about the lack of improvement. I use alpha hydrox's 10% enhanced cream twice a day, with moisturizer over it at night, and I am seeing great results after about a month. Maybe your skin is tougher so you need more advanced procedures like a chemical peel. They can do those in like the 40-50% acid range, so the results are more drastic.

yeah, i shud use it twice daily... im stupid i didnt think about that before HAHAHA. (i only use AHA at night)

I've used the Neutrogena AHA lotion for a month and a half and my skin has a more even tone. You will not see results right away. It will definitely be gradual. You just have to be patient.

hey i was wondering if anyone knows of a good product or somesort of moisturizer that reduces redness and that will make my skin normal looking? please let me know ....thanks!

I used the neutrogena healthy skin face lotion back in february for about 3-4 months, didnt do much for my red marks :|

I just typed a huge reply, and my internet didn't even send it. I refuse to retype all of it.

All it was, was suggesting to try souffle 12% glycolic acid and use their sheer milk moisturizer. It also suggested to not say Neutrogena did nothing for your skin, because it's simply not possible if you do in fact have red marks. Naturally, red marks would fade in 4 or 5 months without an acid exfoliation method.

Telling people they haven't faded at all, or you've had them for years (this doesn't necessarily imply you), takes away hope and makes some of us cringe. It's almost as if people want you to fail on this forum and everyone wants everyone else to feel sorrow. It's a joke to say the least. red marks naturally go away in the course of a year, if they haven't. You need to see a medical doctor and have your immune system checked out. Post acne marks are not suppose to last four years, you ask ANY dermatologist or medical doctor. They will tell you the exact same thing.

In the time of 3 or 4 months, they should of faded, dimmed, shrunk - some form of progress even on it's own, more so with a product that's proven to shed skin up to four times faster.

I hope your progress with Souffle goes well if you decide to get it.

I just typed a huge reply, and my internet didn't even send it. I refuse to retype all of it.

All it was, was suggesting to try souffle 12% glycolic acid and use their sheer milk moisturizer. It also suggested to not say Neutrogena did nothing for your skin, because it's simply not possible if you do in fact have red marks. Naturally, red marks would fade in 4 or 5 months without an acid exfoliation method.

Telling people they haven't faded at all, or you've had them for years (this doesn't necessarily imply you), takes away hope and makes some of us cringe. It's almost as if people want you to fail on this forum and everyone wants everyone else to feel sorrow. It's a joke to say the least. red marks naturally go away in the course of a year, if they haven't. You need to see a medical doctor and have your immune system checked out. Post acne marks are not suppose to last four years, you ask ANY dermatologist or medical doctor. They will tell you the exact same thing.

In the time of 3 or 4 months, they should of faded, dimmed, shrunk - some form of progress even on it's own, more so with a product that's proven to shed skin up to four times faster.

I hope your progress with Souffle goes well if you decide to get it.

I understand what you're trying to say, let me word it better. Using the neutrogena healthy skin face lotion for about 4 months did not noticabely improve the marks left on my face .. In fact after the 4+ months of use I was clear but the red marks persisted which is why I tried jessfoliation ( BROKE ME OUT ) and I'm back on what got me clear again although it will take time ( like starting the cycly over :( ).