Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
newcastlegirl

My natural regimen that (I think so far) has worked best!

:X Well, I decided to post my regimen. I started using Dan's BP regimen last summer - did not work for me, too harsh even at 2 1/2%. Then I tried different over the counter stuff, SkinClean cleanser, and then Retin A Micro 1%-did not work, way too red and all. Went to another derm (my 4th) and he wanted me to try either Accutane (my last resort due to side effects) or Spironlactone. Went to Naturopath at first, gave me a homeopathic medicine and then 25,000 i.u. of Vitamin A, Zinc with copper, Taps (a liver herb pill). Had mass awful breakout after 2 weeks and I thought "I am the worst, what do I do?" Then slowly the inside out way, as I call it, for acne, started to work. One side cleared up and now the other. My oil production is much lower. I also use aloe vera gel as a toner (takes the red down a bit and soothes the skin naturally) and a natural b-Vitamin compound called 4% Niacinimide cream! Lots of water daily and so far, after 7 weeks, looking good. Oh I hope this is the permanent answer. I am 23, very fair, female, oily yet sensitive skin.

Newcastlegirl aka Karen

Newcastlegirl,

It is good to hear you are doing fine and your face it getting better all the time. I have a question/remark on your post though :X

Had mass awful breakout after 2 weeks and I thought "I am the worst, what do I do?" Then slowly the inside out way, as I call it, for acne, started to work. One side cleared up and now the other. My oil production is much lower

I believe there is a possibility that this effect has little to do with your regimen. There was a thread "stopping the regimen temporarily" a while ago on this forum and people had the same thing you describe (bad break-out after 2 weeks, temporary aggravation, oil production going down) as well, when they stopped using harsh topical products (BP) without starting another regimen.

Anyway, I am very glad whatever regimen you follow now is helping you. I'd be interested in hearing how you are doing, and I think there are more people, so please keep us updated. Thanks and good luck!

Trotsky

:X You may be right on stopping harsh products. I had tried using the Retin-A Micro Gel (1%) in October but stopped it after about 7-10 days as gel, any kind of gel, is harder on sensitive skin and I could see it was harming mine! But I had stopped using BP, even the 2 1/2%, last summer as it was also way too harsh for my skin. I do agree that using a gentle cleanser is the best way regardless of your skin type, etc.

I also should add that the 4% topical niacinimide cream has really helped to dry up the cystic and other types of acne for me. 3 weeks of use, esp. at night, has really helped in that regard. I have to attribute less oiliness as primarily an inside-out pill. I have tried the B5 (Panothenic Acid) through Vita Cure products at 10g.last summer, and while it helped with less oiliness after a week, the oil came back and so did the pimples! When you read about what Accutane is (mass dose of synthetic vitamin A and has numerous side effects) and what natural Vitamin A can do if you give it time and use the maximum amount that is safe, it causes the oil production to go way down, so I have to attribute this change to the vitamin and not stopping harsh products primarily.

But I do believe that my oil production being cut down is not due to primarily stopping the harsh products - it is from the combo of Vitamin A, zinc with copper, the liver herb pill primarily. The naturopath(s) at Bastyr Clinic in Seattle saw me again for the third time yesterday (December 11, 02), has been 3 weeks since I was last there, yesterday and they were really delighted how my face had cleared!

Also, for scar treatments, the naturopath wants me to put a teeny dot of Vitamin E on the red healed marks only (not the ones that are not totally healed yet), as well as take the herb Gotu Kola for a month.

Hope that helps you all - please look into the natural way before you try the other more harsh methods, give it a good month, and you may be pleasantly and healthily surprised!

With love, Newcastlegirl

Karen,

Thanks for your reply. Interested in hearing how you experienced the vitamin B5/pantothenic acid? From your post I seem to understand that you didn't use it for a long period of time? Why did you quit taking it?

Also, how much mg of zinc+copper are you currently taking in?

Compared to when you werent on a natural treatment, how much has your acne -really- improved??

Well, thanks for the interview 8)

trotsky

#1-Took the B5, Vitacure Powder and then the NOW pills (easier to take the pills) for at least 2 months. After one week, my oil production was definitely lower, then a crazy kind of breakout in unusual places on my face, then they went away. I spead it out, using 10 g. at first, contacted the Vitacure people, read all the info posts online here to see how to do it, took a B complex too, but nothing seemed that different. And it was a gigantic hassle to take the pills or powder 3 times a day - I find it hard to do it twice a day. I saw no big difference and naturopath said she was not a big believer in B5 for acne, but it may work for some people, who am I to say?

#2-Am taking 60 mg. of Zinc with copper, 30 mg. in a.m. and 30 mg. at dinner. It is a blend of 3 different zincs, as dr. says some zincs may work better than others and how does one know unless a blend of 3 are in pill. Has 2 mg. of copper. She wants me to keep taking the 60 mg (the norm is 30) for another month until my acne is totally clear. It is not harmful unless you overdo it longer than a few months.

#3-As to how much my skin improved on this latest and totally natural regimen, I would say 75%! None of the other treatments I tried have given me color (I was very pale before), tight pores, and skin that, except for the red marks of scars on each cheek, is starting to glow and has no new major breakout, except for a tiny pimple now and then, but very minute.

#4-Can I say this will last? Oh, I pray it does! But with the major awful breakout I experienced at first, I have to think it was the toxins coming out and everyone at Bastyr Clinic said to give it at least 3 weeks and they were right.

PS I may not have mentioned this BUT I am using honey every few days on my face to draw the bacteria out - I just put a thin coat of it on blemished area and let it sit for 15 minutes, then gently rinse it off. Real weird but boy, does it tighten your pores and works without any irritation!

I guess what I have to say is - I think everyone should give the natural way a total try and if one sees no results in 3-4 weeks, then it probably is not for you. How can it hurt?

Newcastlegirl

:( Well, guys and gals, skin still looking good. No new breakout, so to speak, and oil production looking the same (much less than a month ago). Even though I am working at a local department store until midnight, skin still good.

I am supposed to take that Gotu Kola for scarring, but I have been hit and miss on that herb. I really should get to taking that along with all my other supplements.

I still am hesitant on using any kind of make-up, as I am afraid of breakout again.

Karen

Good to hear you're doing fine! I'm doing pretty bad, but somehow it isn't a real problem. My pimples are looking very strange, its not really pimples. More of a red rash... anyway, when Im at 3 mm from the mirror it looks like shit. However, I guess that it isnt such a big deal for people. I am spending not so much time thinking about my skin because it's not really making it look better :(

Anyway, its a funny thing you mentioned doing things "natural". Ofcourse, in a sense, every regimen is natural. I can't find anything I can regard less "natural" than anything else.

Putting honey on the face sure seems to be more natural, but then again, its not the honey as a product that is doing the trick.

I haven't really done any real research on this, however, I hypothesise that the effect of honey can be contributed to its acidicy (the honey I got has a pH of 3.5 ) and the bacteria might hate this. Also, in honey there's this enzyme glucoseoxidase that reacts with glucose to produce peroxide and gluconic acid. Both are known for their anti-bacterial effect. Also, pore tightening could be attributed to the pantothenic acid in the honey (although its a low amount). There's also some nicotinic acid in the honey which could play a role.

So, then again, what's more natural? Putting honey on your face, or putting peroxide, nicotinic acid and pantothenic acid on it :)

Why does your naturopath-man have so little trust in B5? I would be interested to know how he determines the effectiveness of a product?

Please keep me updated, very interested in hearing how your progressing.

Trotsky

:( First, a very Merry Christmas to all of you out there in Cyberspace! I hope, also, that the coming year of 2003 will bring improved acne results to you - what a quest for us so blessed with this!

Trotsky - I don't know why my naturopath (a woman in this case) who comes from Ecuador originally does not like the B5. I asked her briefly last time and I am going to ask her again. I was actually the one asking her about trying the 4% Niacinimide cream, and she said it worked for many people with cystic or mixed acne like mine. I am finding even with naturopaths one has to be informed about products, and if I did not have this internet to search for such info, I would be lost, how about you?

I don't know about how the honey works, and it may be the Niacinimide Cream, who knows, but I am going to keep it up. One thing I have noticed this past week in working the shift at the Bon department store until midnight - the stress of the job, however temporary, is making my skin a little more acne-prone (not that bad but a couple more pimples trying to return). It may be the late shift doing it, although I am a night person, just getting off my a.m. routine is also not so good.

How is your skin doing with the B5? I wish it had worked for me, but with all the pills I am taking now, don't know how I could work it in 3 or more times a day anyway!

Merry Christmas to all,

Karen aka Newcastlegirl

:shock: Well, everyone, skin still doing well. No new major breakout, if I do have a pimple, it is small and disappears in a day or two. The oil production is still way way down, but I am not dry or anything, just right. I just started putting the tiniest bit of Vitamin E oil on the largest red mark from major breakout in November. I go to the naturopath in the next 2 weeks for update on treatment. Still taking the same stuff and Niacinimide Cream as I said before.

Do any of you know where I can buy topical B5 cream? Now from reading other posts, I could put the powder from the NOW pills I still have into the Niacinimide Cream, but I am kinda hesitant to do so. I thought it might heal the scars faster.

Thanks and Happy 2003 to all of you!

Karen

Hi there,

Wanted to update you that my skin is still not breaking out at all. I am taking the vitamins, minerals, and herbs as before; however, ran out of gotu kola so need to get more and also go see naturopath for recall visit, as it has been a month. Am continuing no coffee, just black tea (less caffeine by far) and very little soy, although I miss the Silk milk (the best soy out there).

If any of you are considering trying a way that worked for me long-term, consider the natural way. Thanks for listening,

Karen

Still looking good. Have a visit to Naturopath this coming Weds. Bought more Herpanacine, Gotu Kola, Grapefruit seed extract as I was out. Now to get those red marks gone!

Karen

:D hey Karen!Will you please give me exact details of your regimine all products used, amounts, brands ,prices, and diet?I'm in alabama right now and have no access to naturopaths(wish i'd taken advantage of that when i was on the westcoast!)I know you've listed some of this in earlier posts but then i see other additions like grapefruit seed and gotu kola?Soooo if you wouldn't mind too much,can you tell me how you put it all together in detail?Thank you!!!!!!! :mrgreen: Leah

:D Sorry about not listing, I thought I had and then I re-read my earlier posts and oops!

First, I had to get the 4% Niacinimide Cream prescribed by my naturopath (or if you can get any other dr to do it, that will work). Guess the FDA came in some years ago and said even a B vitamin in a topical form had to be prescribed, which I think is dumb, but so it is. I went to Key Pharmacy in Kent, Wash., which I had found out about on the website here (a link) and which is 20 minutes from my house, which I was so surprised about. Anyway, they can mail you a small 1 oz bottle, runs around $17 and $2 to mail or so (a good deal). Here is their phone number: 1-800-878-1322. The niacinimide cream works like the topical antibiotic clindimycin but has a higher success rate and all. I believe they make a gel.

But I did find through you gals and guys on this website the place called acnemiracle.com where you buy your B5 and the gel, and I see that they sell 5% Niacinimide Gel there for a good price, very good. Now I went for the cream specifically because even though I have oily skin (or did have before), it is very fair and very sensitive and gels seem to be a bit harsher on my skin than creams. Go for what works for you. But at any rate, that is where you can buy it online or call Key Pharmacy.

Here is my routine, honeybee, that I used. Keep in mind too that I did take that one-time homeopathic medicine in late October for my particular "character"type (i.e. she asked where I usually felt pain, was I usually a cold person or warm person, etc., lots of other things she observed) and for me, I took arsenicum. I looked up the arsenicum on the web after she prescribed it and found I fit about 80% the character type arsenicum album. It was really weird!

For me, I had already cut out dairy (which they say is the #1 aggravator, I don't know) 4 years ago due to stomach problems with it since a baby, and then she told me to cut out coffee and try going without soy (I was drinking lots of SILK soy). I stilll have soy in those Cliff bars but have cut out the soy milk and gone to almond again, but I miss the SILK. She also told me to try eliminating for 2 weeks at a time soy, corn, wheat to see if it helped.

Anyway, here is what I take (alot, I know):

1 Zinc Plex (a blend of 3 zincs, as some zincs work better than others, hence this blend, which also has the copper in it)

1 Carlson's Multi-vitamin

1 TAPS pill (was 2 a day the first month), which is a liver support blend of herbs

1 Grapefruit seed pill (by Nutribiotic, or any other brand, little tiny pill) This I found on my own through the website by Greg, a link on acne.org, and I bought them at local h.f. store. Helps fight infection.

1 Carlson's high potency Cod Liver Oil pill (2500 i.u.) The doctor particularly recommended cod liver oil as my Vitamin A source.

3-4 Herpanacine for the skin - found at local h.f. store - which has Beta Carotene and Vitamin E developed for the skin and also some amino acids. The brand is Herpanacine by Dr. Diamond.

The doctor added the 1-2 Gotu Kola pill over a month ago to see if it helped with scarring, will evaluate this week to see if she wants me to take it, so I would not take it until your acne has all cleared up.

Oh, I use a mild cleanser, found this Alba Botanical gentle liquid cleanser at Trader Joe's. I also had to not use anything PEPPERMINT during the homeopathic time (first month of so), as that will interfere with the treatment.

Somebody got a homeopathic analysis over a website for their type, I don't know where, but if you have no naturopath, you may try that.

Hope that helps. Oh, yes, lots of water as you all know anyway, and also being sure I got "regular" helps a great, great deal.

Karen

thank you for the detailed reply :D i try to use the natural approach first for any health probs. i encounter in my life.I've thought about becoming a naturopath too!Currently i'm in school for nursing

This all sounds very interesting. I have recently cut out dairy and wheat from my diet because of stomach problems, and have noticed an improvement in my skin. Although, I must say that I have been using Retin-A Micro for about 4 months. i don't know what might be the cause of the clear, unblemished skin, but I am not going to change what i am doing. But, like I said before, it sounds interesting and it's good to hear that it's working.

Manchita

Forgot, why did the naturopath ask that you cut soy out of your diet? It is the only thing I like in place of milk. I've tried rice and almond milk and couldn't do it. Really. So, why is the soy not good?

Manchita

First, she asked me to stop taking the soy for 2 weeks, as I was drinking alot of SILK as well as all the bars like Cliff, Luna, etc., are soy-based, and some people can develop an allergy to soy. If I remember right, soy was not high on the blood test I took a few years ago, but it was not a zero or a one, prob. a 2. So she asked me to consider stopped soy, wheat, (I already have dairy for 3 years), corn for two weeks at a time, to see if it helped. I have cut down but not totally eliminated soy (the bars I still have to have), but need to do it. Soy is good for you if you don't have allergies.

Today's visit with Bastyr - Dr. said my scars were not purple but light pink and flat, so that was good. She said not to use the Niacinimide Cream anymore on the scars, as it only helped cystic acne that was forming. So I am not going to use it unless I have the start of a pimple forming, then on the cream goes. Also, no Grapefruit Seed oil pills, as it interfers with the TAPS or liver support pill.

Everything else the same as far as supplements. She was really pleased with my skin.

Thanks for listening, Karen

I live in Seattle and am seeking to find a good naturopath, can you tell who yours is and would you reccomend her?

:D I got my doctor by just making an appointment for a Weds. morning with a combined clinic of naturopath and Chinese Herbal medicine the end of last October. If you look up the Bastyr Clinic in phone book (forgot their number), make an appointment for whatever time is good for you, but somehow I was put in the Weds. morning category.

My first appointment took almost 2 hours, cost me $88. The next followup took almost an hour and cost me $38. It is the least expensive way to go rather than a naturopath who has his own practice (due to his overhead). I saw a Dr. Romero (a lady) and I liked her, you may find they are all similar.

Hope that helps,

Karen

My right side of face continues to be free of any new breakout. The red marks from that aggravated one in November are fading slowly. The left side is good, it was the last side to break out so badly, but there are these two red spots that do not want to go away. I am going to use the niacinimide cream twice a day on just those spots. Otherwise, I am happy with my skin and all.

Karen

Thanks for the info on your naturopath and for the update on your skin. I guess the naturopaths are "in-training" with prices like that. I am going to check it out.

Well, skin looking good except for this one cyst on my left cheek that will not go away. So I am going to start putting the Niacinimide Cream (only for cystic, dr. said) on it twice a day. Rarely any new breakout, and have to work on those red marks that are slow to fade. I also have found I was not drinking enough water like before, so trying to do that more each day. Think it already has shown results.

I am flying back to the east coast for 5 days next Thursday, so would like this one cyst to dry up!

Karen

newcastle girl i'm very confused...I'm currently taking VITIMIN c as apparantly this is good for your skin...I'm also trying to drink water and eat some fruit...Is there any foods u can recomend which stop so much oil being produced...or name any foods that are really bad for the skin...Thanks

:D First, Vitamin C is good for your skin, but so is Vitamin A in beta carotene especially and so is B complex. Zinc with copper also. I don't know, but when my water usage goes down, my skin starts getting a bit worse but not awful like it was.

So my first bit of advice is..... drink LOTS of water, but make sure it is distilled or chemical-free. I was told to drink at least 8-10 glasses of water, some of it can be in herb teas or juice. I do think it makes a difference and may help in the oil production.

Second, be sure you take the max. of 25,000 i.u. of Vitamin A. I am taking it in a pill from health food store called Herpanacine, which is Vit. A. in beta carotene, Vitamin E, and some amino acids. Also taking 1000 m. Vitamin C, time release, from GNC. Taking the TAPS herb liver pill, but you can get something similar at Trader Joe's grocery stores, called a milk thistle herb pill for the liver (same as TAPS pretty much).

Now it is into the 3rd month and I had the ultimate test on how my skin has improved - my boyfriend saw me back east and said "Wow, your skin is better." So this is a first since I have known him since Sept. 2001 that he said that. All that is left is red marks on my left cheek but those are fading too.

So it may have been the homeopathic special one-time remedy the doctor prescribed for me that caused the massive aggravation and then everything slowly got better and better. Plus the water and vites.

As far as knowing what food to eat, eat lots of fruit, veggies (I am not so good on that part), and whole grains. Eliminate a food that you think could cause your acne for 2 weeks totally and then try it in a pure source (no mixing foods) after 2 weeks by itself and see if you feel lousy.

But guys and gals, give the natural way a total try and like all good things, give it some time!

Thanks, Karen

PS let me know if any of you have gone to a naturopath too!