Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
plateaukid

Are You Waiting For Things To Get Better?

I don't know how many people on this board have this feeling, but I certainly do all the time. I'm still rather optimistic about my future, hoping that as certain times of the year approaches things will work out and everything. So far, I've been disappointed. I will finish up my 1st round of non-ablative laser resurfacing this week, yet my face hasn't changed much. I could still be the same person and hope that things will be better in a few more months, but I think that I will hurt myself in the long run. Trying to isolate myself seems like a temporary solution to feeling uncomfortable with a group of people, but I will be missing out on events and activities that can be very important for my future, like attending my accounting fraternity's professional meetings and meeting recruiters from accounting firms. If I stay away from these, I'll avoid having to look at people in the eye, but I'll miss out on the opportunity to network with professionals in the field and get an internship next summer.

i'm waiting for things to get better too

my right side of my face has sooo much scars it makes me look like a freak..

but i know, few years down the road, i'll look back and say

"dammit, i can't believe its over"

I sooo know what you mean. When my skin gets really bad, it's like I put a lot of my life on hold. I don't really go out with friends, just stay in hiding and waiting for my skin to get better so that i can enjoy life again. Sometimes I just feel like I can't move on in life before I get rid of acne.

I am starting accutane along with yasmin bc in a few weeks, so hopefully things will start to get better.

Guest Lylat uk

I have just cleared my face. its never been clear in 5 years. Although i am over the moon about it my face it litterd with red marks and scars.

When my acne was bad i started to isolate myself from everything and all that happend is dat i became clincly depressed and i am still fighting depression to dis day. I know my is free of active acne now and my skin has never looked so good but most mornings i dont even want to get out of bed. However i find a reason every morning to get up and get on with my life and that reason is dat i want to live my life not be controlled by a skin disease.

I really agree with Lylat, don't let your skin control you and ruin things for your future, don't let it win. Either way if you stay home or go out you aren't going to help the condition of your skin, but by staying in you are also just creating a mental condition, depression. Sure going out and having people stare at you isn't fun either, but at least you are living and not in solitary confinement. When you are out just look around you at everyone else's flaws and realize people are not really all perfect out there.

I kinda put my life "on hold" for about a year while I waited for things to clear up but then I got so depressed because I was thinking about my face all the time that I just said fuck it and started going out and doing things again. I'm a lot happier now. You gotta stay active!!!!!!

I am not waiting anymore for things to get better. I have spent years of my life living in the future. I have finally accepted that it is not going to get any better, unless perhaps I get accepted for an extreme makeover biggrin.gif . Even then with my luck, I would be the one extreme makeover that failed and I might end up looking worse than I started.

I don't like to sound like a pessimist. I think that I am finally being a realist. This doesn't however alleviate the pain I feel when I think about what could have been had I not had acne. Acne has permeated every aspect of my being. It had ruined my personality, my looks, my ambition and worst of all, my self exteem. I have made choices that were all wrong for me because acne made me compromise.

I feel like I have been on my own for years and though I am married and have children I feel very alone. So many times it feels like me, my acne and scars, against the clear skinned world. It is time for me to stand up and appreciate myself. Although I will never be attractive physically, I have good qualities that I need to appreciate. It's time for me to do the things I want to do. Life is too short to waste dwelling on things we cannot change.

I recommend to stop waiting. The longer you wait, the more you will regret of things you didn't do. It takes someone bold and with confidence to still go out with acne. Others will notice this and respect you even more. They will wonder 'how can this guy be so outgoing when he looks like that?' You'd be surprised at how your life can change when you ignore acne.

I've been waiting for it to get better for the past 7/8 years lol. Don't get me wrong, it's got a lot lot milder than what it used to be, but I still wait for the time when it goes completely. I've been using a topical recently which has improved things a lot though, together with a few other things i've been slowly getting rid of little scars and red marks as well. It's important not to become preoccupied with it though because it drives you insane.

I do the waiting thing, its like i think to myself if i lose weight, get hair cut, teeth whitened etc etc then i will feel better about myself and when i feel better about myself i will be more positive and a better person.....and therefore i will achieve my goals....theoretically.

Ive had this mode of thinking for about 2 years, i dont buy nice clothing because i tell myself i dont deserve it and that nice clothes are for skinny people and you have to earn the right to wear them <----- now if that isnt crazy talk i dunno what is.

Messes with your head. You really do have to live for today because you just dont know if there is going to be a tomorrow, cheesey but oh so true.

I waited for things until pretty recently, when a friend pointed out to me that I'm closer to my 30's than my 20's. While I don't feel Death's hot breath nipping at my heels, realizing my age helped a bit in kickstarting my ass into my own life.

And it is true that you never know if there will be a tommorow. The last few deaths in my life have shown this in great, stark contrast.