Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pinky_shushu

B5 Related Article on Vitamin Malabsorption

I came upon this intriguing article while doing some online research on this whole concept of B5 supplementation... I thought I'd share it with those interested...

http://www.holistichealthtopics.com/HMG/Bvitamin.html

It's not written by a health expert but he's an interested party and seems to have done quite a bit of research.

And here's another one for a brief description on the concept...

http://www.merck.com/mrkshared/mmanual/sec...chapter3/3a.jsp

My own personal situation follows (mostly cut & pasted from another recent thread):

I'm a 32yo female. I've been largely sugar, wheat and dairy free for the past 3mths, which has helped control my moderate face,chest, back acne a bit. I also have been taking supplements (multi-vit, fish oil, magensium, selenium, probiotic, zinc) - all these factors have helped to keep inflammation to a minimum. I also came off BCP Diane 3mths ago - which had been keeping me 85% clear for the past 10yrs. I have noticed a slow worsening in my skin in the past few mths since coming off BC but I reckon its not as bad as it would be if i wasn't doing all the dietary and vitamin supplements at all. I'm also seeing a naturopath who has me on some anti-androgen herbs as well as Vitex - I'm going to stay on that regime till next year.

I decided last week to start taking 2g of B5 per day. I can tell its having at least a mild effect due to the increase in my bowel and urinary movements. It's too early to say whether or not it's having an effect on my skin. I'm not taking a B-complex. I eat very healthily anyway and am sure I'm getting all my other B vitamins just fine, plus I've read some comments made by a few individuals, even doctors, that the whole B-complex with individual B supplements is an urban myth started by a self-congratulated "expert" on vitamins from the early 20th Century. I'm not saying that it's definitely wrong, but articles like the one above seem to hold some logic when it comes to processes involved in balancing individual biochemistries.

From what I can tell by reading lots of testimonies, there are those that see good results on lower doses of B5. I'm not prepared to take the 10g dosage but I'm hopeful with my moderate chronic acne (including body), a low dose of B5 combined with the rest of regime will help.

I came off Diane because my partner and I are planning to conceive next year and I want to give my reproductive system a good rest from the bc pill before we try. I know that many women take 6-12mths after stopping the pill before being able to successfully conceive anyway, and I thought I'd start preparing well in advance.

My main skin complaint at this time is congestion (millia, blackheads and about 3-7 inflamed papules anywhere on my face or body at any one time). I'm concerned that this will continue to worsen the longer I've been off Diane, so I'm doing everything possible to 'stem the flow' - and hopefully reverse the situation too.

As I said, I'm going to give this lower B5 dose a few months first before I decide whether or not its working. And I'll let you all know 3mths from now (late November).

Craigy, I think you've most likely hit the nail on the head in regards to the central role of Biotin in acne formation *for at least a significant portion of sufferers*. I suppose whether or not B5 supplementation is successful for people longterm is dependent on how much each individual's unique bodily system needs/heeds their Biotin levels (in so far as negative side effects is concerned). That's another reason why I'm taking the lower dose of the B5... chances are that it may take longer to have a beneficial effect (acne-wise) but it may not wreak havoc on my body's need for Biotin. I have some info on the symptoms of Biotin deficiency which I'm keeping an eye on, but we'll just have to wait and see. It may be that the whole B5 approach is only really suitable longterm to those whose acne is mild/moderate and only requires a (comparitively) low maintenance dose (500-2000mg). I much prefer the slowly but surely approach to the dive in head-first. Logic demands that if those who start off taking 10g daily but can reduce to .5-2g daily with success, then they can probably start off on a lower dose and have a gentler, albeit slower effect on their acne. I think so anyway.

Perhaps it will continue to be a balancing act of incurring acne every few months in favour of a brief Biotin supplemt surge. God only knows. I have no problem experimenting on myself in such a moderate way (as I said 10g daily would be way too much for my personal liking) - most doctors and dermatologists really are doing the same to a large extent.

Certainly I will just stop everything once I am pregnant next year (hopefully) and when breastfeeding, too. I just wouldn't impose my biochemical regime on a brand new baby. I'd restart if necessary between having kids.

Anyway, read that article - it makes some interesting points...

See how we go... I'll report back in a few mths...

Pinky

I came upon this intriguing article while doing some online research on this whole concept of B5 supplementation... I thought I'd share it with those interested...

It's not written by a health expert but he's an interested party and seems to have done quite a bit of research.

My own personal situation follows (mostly cut & pasted from another recent thread):

I'm a 32yo female. I've been largely sugar, wheat and dairy free for the past 3mths, which has helped control my moderate face,chest, back acne a bit. I also have been taking supplements (multi-vit, fish oil, magensium, selenium, probiotic, zinc) - all these factors have helped to keep inflammation to a minimum. I also came off BCP Diane 3mths ago - which had been keeping me 85% clear for the past 10yrs. I have noticed a slow worsening in my skin in the past few mths since coming off BC but I reckon its not as bad as it would be if i wasn't doing all the dietary and vitamin supplements at all. I'm also seeing a naturopath who has me on some anti-androgen herbs as well as Vitex - I'm going to stay on that regime till next year.

I decided last week to start taking 2g of B5 per day. I can tell its having at least a mild effect due to the increase in my bowel and urinary movements. It's too early to say whether or not it's having an effect on my skin. I'm not taking a B-complex. I eat very healthily anyway and am sure I'm getting all my other B vitamins just fine, plus I've read some comments made by a few individuals, even doctors, that the whole B-complex with individual B supplements is an urban myth started by a self-congratulated "expert" on vitamins from the early 20th Century. I'm not saying that it's definitely wrong, but articles like the one above seem to hold some logic when it comes to processes involved in balancing individual biochemistries.

From what I can tell by reading lots of testimonies, there are those that see good results on lower doses of B5. I'm not prepared to take the 10g dosage but I'm hopeful with my moderate chronic acne (including body), a low dose of B5 combined with the rest of regime will help.

I came off Diane because my partner and I are planning to conceive next year and I want to give my reproductive system a good rest from the bc pill before we try. I know that many women take 6-12mths after stopping the pill before being able to successfully conceive anyway, and I thought I'd start preparing well in advance.

My main skin complaint at this time is congestion (millia, blackheads and about 3-7 inflamed papules anywhere on my face or body at any one time). I'm concerned that this will continue to worsen the longer I've been off Diane, so I'm doing everything possible to 'stem the flow' - and hopefully reverse the situation too.

As I said, I'm going to give this lower B5 dose a few months first before I decide whether or not its working. And I'll let you all know 3mths from now (late November).

Craigy, I think you've most likely hit the nail on the head in regards to the central role of Biotin in acne formation *for at least a significant portion of sufferers*. I suppose whether or not B5 supplementation is successful for people longterm is dependent on how much each individual's unique bodily system needs/heeds their Biotin levels (in so far as negative side effects is concerned). That's another reason why I'm taking the lower dose of the B5... chances are that it may take longer to have a beneficial effect (acne-wise) but it may not wreak havoc on my body's need for Biotin. I have some info on the symptoms of Biotin deficiency which I'm keeping an eye on, but we'll just have to wait and see. It may be that the whole B5 approach is only really suitable longterm to those whose acne is mild/moderate and only requires a (comparitively) low maintenance dose (500-2000mg). I much prefer the slowly but surely approach to the dive in head-first. Logic demands that if those who start off taking 10g daily but can reduce to .5-2g daily with success, then they can probably start off on a lower dose and have a gentler, albeit slower effect on their acne. I think so anyway.

Perhaps it will continue to be a balancing act of incurring acne every few months in favour of a brief Biotin supplemt surge. God only knows. I have no problem experimenting on myself in such a moderate way (as I said 10g daily would be way too much for my personal liking) - most doctors and dermatologists really are doing the same to a large extent.

Certainly I will just stop everything once I am pregnant next year (hopefully) and when breastfeeding, too. I just wouldn't impose my biochemical regime on a brand new baby. I'd restart if necessary between having kids.

Pinky

I also started the entire B5 thing...well today actually. So far i've taken 1g...plan on starting at about 2-3g and then going to a max of 5g. I keep hearing sucess stories and how well this works for people. Then i hear some horror stories of how bad this is for your body.

I've decided i don't care, i'll do whatever it takes to get rid of this shit called " Acne " ...plus i've been told multiple times that B vitamins CANNOT be stored in your body..so if you take too much or overload all you do is urinate it and or dispose of it in some bodily function. Until someone gets really messed up from B5 i'll take it...people have been taking it since 2002 and on up...and it's been a long time and they still take it...if they don't notice problems or anything then we won't either...

Hopefully it works for us both. If it does...you'll officially see one of the happiest kids man kind has ever seen.

Pinky

I also started the entire B5 thing...well today actually. So far i've taken 1g...plan on starting at about 2-3g and then going to a max of 5g. I keep hearing sucess stories and how well this works for people. Then i hear some horror stories of how bad this is for your body.

I've decided i don't care, i'll do whatever it takes to get rid of this shit called " Acne " ...plus i've been told multiple times that B vitamins CANNOT be stored in your body..so if you take too much or overload all you do is urinate it and or dispose of it in some bodily function. Until someone gets really messed up from B5 i'll take it...people have been taking it since 2002 and on up...and it's been a long time and they still take it...if they don't notice problems or anything then we won't either...

Hopefully it works for us both. If it does...you'll officially see one of the happiest kids man kind has ever seen.

Fuck acne. you know. what ever it is, people are going to try to tell you it's wrong and bad for you.. :boohoo: