Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Annaa

beta carotene pills?

I know that some people have seen good results on there skin from drinking carrot juice. But I´m wondering if anyone has noticed there skin clearing from taking high doses (or low) of beta carrotene pills?

Carrots are superior to the pills. Why would you want to pay more for something that's less effective? If you don't have a juicer, add carrots to a smoothie.

Carrots are superior to the pills. Why would you want to pay more for something that's less effective? If you don't have a juicer, add carrots to a smoothie.

Well, I have my reasons. And I don´t think it would be more expensive to buy the pills. Have you had good results with carrots Rubber Sheep?

Nothing to write home about and I drink fresh carrot juice almost daily. But it helps some people.

i think that beta carotene heals my acne faster.. along with vitamin c.. it make my nails grow very fast and my hair.

i think that beta carotene heals my acne faster.. along with vitamin c.. it make my nails grow very fast and my hair.

That sounds good KnowShow!

Hi Annaa! :) I know this isn't what you want to hear, but taking beta carotene is very risky. It's much healthier to get it from your food. I'd recommend the carrots or green smoothies. Most beta carotene in supplements is synthetic Vitamin A, and that especially can be very dangerous. Harvard actually did a study showing that "synthetic" vitamin A actually increased lung cancer, but yet, they stated that if you're getting your vitamin A from food, then you have nothing to worry about. You may want to read this article by Dr. Fuhrman (one of the Discovery Health Channel's doctors). http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/article10.aspx

Hi Annaa! :) I know this isn't what you want to hear, but taking beta carotene is very risky. It's much healthier to get it from your food. I'd recommend the carrots or green smoothies. Most beta carotene in supplements is synthetic Vitamin A, and that especially can be very dangerous. Harvard actually did a study showing that "synthetic" vitamin A actually increased lung cancer, but yet, they stated that if you're getting your vitamin A from food, then you have nothing to worry about. You may want to read this article by Dr. Fuhrman (one of the Discovery Health Channel's doctors). http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/article10.aspx

Ooh I know! I should get it from real food. It´s just that I want a cure that a can bring with me in my handbag and take with me when I travell :). I haven´t even tried carrot juice or green smoothies and I´m already worreing about what do (if it works) when I travel. I couldn´t bare getting the acne it back, even only for a couple of weeks, when I´ve gotten rid of it once and for all. I have to get a pocket-juicer :)!

Ooh I know! I should get it from real food. It´s just that I want a cure that a can bring with me in my handbag and take with me when I travell :). I haven´t even tried carrot juice or green smoothies and I´m already worreing about what do (if it works) when I travel. I couldn´t bare getting the acne it back, even only for a couple of weeks, when I´ve gotten rid of it once and for all. I have to get a pocket-juicer :)!

Oh :( I know what you mean!! Travel scares me too... You know, if it would just mean taking Vitamin A supplements for a couple of weeks, I wouldn't be too concerned. I would also suggest a food based multi-vitamin and fiber. I wish I knew exactly what it was in the smoothies that clears up skin - it might just be a combination of everything though - all the vitamins/minerals and fiber too. I've only been drinking a couple glasses the last couple of weeks (have been sharing too much of my smoothies with family, haha), and my skin is starting to break out again. So apparently, I do need 4 glasses a day. Also, I ran out of fruit, so I've been mainly doing greens - so maybe it's the greens AND the fruit that work together at keeping the acne at bay. Gotta make a run to the grocery store TODAY for more produce before I turn up with a blemish that'll leave behind a scar. :( One thing that might be worth looking into is powdered greens. I drank V8 a couple months ago when I was gone for 5 days. When I got back, I did slowly start breaking out again, but nothing that caused a problem. V8 is pasteurized, so it's not as good, but at least it has vegetable juices. I want to get my body normalized so that if I can't do smoothies for a few days, that I'll still be okay. I'm starting a cleanse in a few days from Dr. Cynthia Foster. www.startthehealing.com I'm going to use some of her supplements too for balancing hormones.

Oh :( I know what you mean!! Travel scares me too... You know, if it would just mean taking Vitamin A supplements for a couple of weeks, I wouldn't be too concerned. I would also suggest a food based multi-vitamin and fiber. I wish I knew exactly what it was in the smoothies that clears up skin - it might just be a combination of everything though - all the vitamins/minerals and fiber too. I've only been drinking a couple glasses the last couple of weeks (have been sharing too much of my smoothies with family, haha), and my skin is starting to break out again. So apparently, I do need 4 glasses a day. Also, I ran out of fruit, so I've been mainly doing greens - so maybe it's the greens AND the fruit that work together at keeping the acne at bay. Gotta make a run to the grocery store TODAY for more produce before I turn up with a blemish that'll leave behind a scar. :( One thing that might be worth looking into is powdered greens. I drank V8 a couple months ago when I was gone for 5 days. When I got back, I did slowly start breaking out again, but nothing that caused a problem. V8 is pasteurized, so it's not as good, but at least it has vegetable juices. I want to get my body normalized so that if I can't do smoothies for a few days, that I'll still be okay. I'm starting a cleanse in a few days from Dr. Cynthia Foster. www.startthehealing.com I'm going to use some of her supplements too for balancing hormones.

I have never noticed beta carotene helping me...and the orange skin side effect is not desireable. I have taken hundreds of thousands of IU's of vitamin a (retinyl palmitate), and that peeled my skin and I didn't get any pimples even without washing my face, BUT my muscles and bones ached.

That sounds really good! The cleanse. I hope it´s not to much work!

I think the green powder would work better then the V8 juice. And if you blend the powder eith fruit juice it would almost be like a green smoothie with fruits and greens.

I´ve been wondering, isn´t it quite expensive with all the greens you use every day? I mean in the long run. In Sweden for example, those bags with babay spinash cost quite a lot.

The cleanse should be easy. Dr. Foster does advice eating really healthy during it though.... I have an annoying sweet tooth that kicks in. haha

I'm guessing I spend what would be around 7 euros a week on greens, and I don't know how much on fruit - I always go for whatever fruit is on sale. Whatever the cost though, I feel this is something I can't skimp on.

I agree that the powdered greens would be a better choice and great idea to combine it with fruit juice! :)

I have never noticed beta carotene helping me...and the orange skin side effect is not desireable. I have taken hundreds of thousands of IU's of vitamin a (retinyl palmitate), and that peeled my skin and I didn't get any pimples even without washing my face, BUT my muscles and bones ached.

Yikes... yeah, synthetic vitamins are scary like that. Good for you for realizing what was going on - most people would never realize it was a "vitamin" that was causing them pain. haha

I didn't know that about synthetic vitamin A, that you should get beta carrotene from a food source. Damn I take a vitamin every day, I wonder how many other vitamins act in the same manner

A lot - synthetic vitamins aren't your friends. New Chapter and Dr. Fuhrman both have food based multi-vitamins.

Stupid question but how do you see if a vitamin is synthetic or food-based ? Because i'm about to buy myself some , mainly A and E because i read an article on this forum that said those were very beneficial because of their "teamwork".

Thanks in advance

Stupid question but how do you see if a vitamin is synthetic or food-based ? Because i'm about to buy myself some , mainly A and E because i read an article on this forum that said those were very beneficial because of their "teamwork".

Thanks in advance

If it doesn't say food based, then it's probaby synthetic. I'd try to find the New Chapter brand if you can. :)

Sweet potatoes have got loads of beta-carotene in them. Plus they're yummers!

I used to eat 2 oranges a day because I felt like the vitamin C helped my skin a little bit. So when I'd run out''ve oranges I'd freak out because the nearest shop that sold them was miles away and I lived in a really rough neighbourhood.

x

^ I love sweet potatoes! Great suggestion! I of course have the tendency to want to load them with butter, cinnamon and brown sugar though. haha Anyone have any healthy suggestions for them?

^ I love sweet potatoes! Great suggestion! I of course have the tendency to want to load them with butter, cinnamon and brown sugar though. haha Anyone have any healthy suggestions for them?

Organic butter isn't bad... unless you know it breaks you out. Cinnamon is healthy. Just leave out the sweetener or use a little bit of real maple syrup.

Organic butter isn't bad... unless you know it breaks you out. Cinnamon is healthy. Just leave out the sweetener or use a little bit of real maple syrup.

Yeah, I don't think a little butter is bad either - I guess it's all the sugar I'm worried about. haha Actually I usually use rapadura sugar instead of brown sugar, but I like the maple syrup idea, thanks! :)