Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jamesw

Vitex & spironolactone in males

I've been clear for awhile now, but I took these medications during my treatment. Have any of you males seen improvement with them?

Vitex supposedly promotes hormone balance in men and women. From what I've read, it's extremely well tolerated as well. Spironolactone is a prescription diuretic/antiandrogen which is also fairly safe. I took this stuff for awhile without any negative effects. No unusual masculinization/feminization, aches or complaints. My skin's oil production decreased and overall it "glowed" a bit more, the texture seemed to change. Teens and young men will probably benefit more from this than you older dudes.

Just a suggestion.

I've been clear for awhile now, but I took these medications during my treatment. Have any of you males seen improvement with them?

Vitex supposedly promotes hormone balance in men and women. From what I've read, it's extremely well tolerated as well. Spironolactone is a prescription diuretic/antiandrogen which is also fairly safe. I took this stuff for awhile without any negative effects. No unusual masculinization/feminization, aches or complaints. My skin's oil production decreased and overall it "glowed" a bit more, the texture seemed to change. Teens and young men will probably benefit more from this than you older dudes.

Just a suggestion.

Are you still taking them? Another thing is do you have to take both or can I just take the vitex. Last , how long did it take for you to see results?

Just a suggestion.

Are you still taking them? Another thing is do you have to take both or can I just take the vitex. Last , how long did it take for you to see results?

I still take them, but at a lower dose. They help with other problems, too! You can take one or the other, or both at once. The desired effect is similar. Vitex, like most natural things, isn't as powerful as prescription drugs. It took about a month or two to see improvements in oil production. Purity is also very important. Spironolactone is cheap and can be ordered online. Get an electrolyte test before starting and don't go above 25mg. I tried 100mg at first, and it gave me a headache.

Mainly I posted this to see what males think of this treatment, since I always hear exclusively about females and these medications, while they could actually benefit both males and females.

There's been a few men (like 5) around these boards to my knowledge that have taken it to control their acne. It ALWAYS works....at the expense of...their manhood.

That would be why most cease using doses as low as 25 mg.

One member would still be on it, but it negatively affected his potassium levels and he was taking 12.5mg

Another member is to this day is still taking estrogen and 100mg of Spiro and...again...it affected his manhood, but he's clear.

What's sooo funny is that I was on 200mg of Spiro (and birth control) for several years it NEVER came close to clearing me, but give a man 25 mg and it clears him???

Avg antiandrogen dose for women is 25 mg - 100mg.

Dose for transexuals is 300mg+

Peace :cool:

There's been a few men (like 5) around these boards to my knowledge that have taken it to control their acne. It ALWAYS works....at the expense of...their manhood.

That would be why most cease using doses as low as 25 mg.

One member would still be on it, but it negatively affected his potassium levels and he was taking 12.5mg

Another member is to this day is still taking estrogen and 100mg of Spiro and...again...it affected his manhood, but he's clear.

What's sooo funny is that I was on 200mg of Spiro (and birth control) for several years it NEVER came close to clearing me, but give a man 25 mg and it clears him???

Avg antiandrogen dose for women is 25 mg - 100mg.

Dose for transexuals is 300mg+

I would avoid the estrogen, guys! ;) Personally, I haven't experienced any of those side effects. The most pleasant thing about these meds would be their ability to noticeably decrease oil production quickly.

I tried Spironolactone at 50mg a day but didn't stay on it for long enough to see any decent results. It seemed to cause me to sweat a lot more than usual, although all medication seems to be doing that to me lately, (B5, Accutane and Spironolactone) so I'm not sure what the connection is!

Cheers

Craig

What do you mean "the expense of their manhood". I found loads of information on http://www.acne-wise.com/sebum.htm about natural alternatives similar to Vitex and Spironolactone such as green tea and saw palmetto.

I want to try antiandrogen supplements because they seem to work similarly to accutane on the body (reducing sebum production). However what is the worst possible side effect from taking them?

What do you mean "the expense of their manhood". I found loads of information on http://www.acne-wise.com/sebum.htm about natural alternatives similar to Vitex and Spironolactone such as green tea and saw palmetto.

I want to try antiandrogen supplements because they seem to work similarly to accutane on the body (reducing sebum production). However what is the worst possible side effect from taking them?

Spiro is a blood pressure medication first and a antiandrogen second, but these are the possible side effects.

Since androgens hormones strongly affect your libido or sex drive, some men (and some women) have a decreased sex drive while other men develop no sex drive on Spiro. Since it's also an antiandrogen that means that estrogen may have a chance to play a larger role (hence why this drug should be given in mid-twenties to males) in development (i.e. breasts) and can also affect muscle development/strength.

Saw Palmetto can sometimes have the same effects. Negative impact on libido and.....women use it for breast enlargement.

However...it's reversible with Saw Palmetto so you may want to try that first.

Spiro is a blood pressure medication first and a antiandrogen second, but these are the possible side effects.

Since androgens hormones strongly affect your libido or sex drive, some men (and some women) have a decreased sex drive while other men develop no sex drive on Spiro. Since it's also an antiandrogen that means that estrogen may have a chance to play a larger role (hence why this drug should be given in mid-twenties to males) in development (i.e. breasts) and can also affect muscle development/strength.

Saw Palmetto can sometimes have the same effects. Negative impact on libido and.....women use it for breast enlargement.

However...it's reversible with Saw Palmetto so you may want to try that first.

There's a lot of conflicting reports with Saw Palmetto. I had no success with it. Spiro is more efficient, proven, and acts fast, too.

Thanks for your replies. Do these side-effects only occur when you are taking a high dosage? If so, what is a safe amount to consume of Spiro?

The effects of spiro, good and bad, are dose dependent. For all parties, it's best to start with the lowest dose and work your way up. Your doctor will probably suggest you try 12.5 - 25mg initially. After a few weeks if you don't notice improvement, less oil, less acne or no acne then s/he may have you increase the dosage.

Now, here's a thought. Vitex basically increases your ability to produce progesterone. Spiro has the ability to also slightly affect progesterone receptors (may be why some women need BC along with to have stable menstrual cycle). Some people breakout when they take progesterone and this may be due to it's androgenic ability. Basically the way we produce hormones in our bodies relies on progesterone as one of the first steps. Then we produce androgens from progesterone and then estrogens from androgens. However if you have high androgen hormones, you may not produce enough estrogen due to a few possible defects in the system. Soooooo...perhaps taking vitex is a way to beat the whole "manhood" problem and still hopefully acheive very good results!

That's just a thought based on JamesW experience because no other males were taking progesterone or vitex. Of course JamesW may have VERY high androgen levels as the other reason this doesn't affect his manhood.