Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lucy_87

how do u get accutane?

just wondering for anyone in the uk who has been able to get accutane how did they manage it?! was it thru a doctor or dermatologist? i asked my docter about it and she barely knew what i was talking about let alone perscribe it. also do you have to pray for it or just wait on a whats probably a mega long waiting list? thanks

ummm i dont live in the UK but i think its similar to the US. i just made an appointment with my derm and asked her about it and told her i wanted and got it. also its much harder to get it here cuz of iPLEDGE than over there in the UK so it shouldnt be too hard and there is no waiting list for the medicine but you may have to wait awhile to get an appointment.

Hi!

You can either get a private dermatologist [if you're made of money] or you just go to your regular doctor and ask to see a dermatologist on the NHS. Then they sort out an appointment at your local hospital. Then it takes a few months of waiting [cos the NHS is a bastard, right?]

Maybe your doctor didn't understand because it's called 'Roaccutane' in the UK. She should be able to refer you to a dermatologist though.

Hope that's a help!

x

Hiya, basically in the uk you have to get your GP to refer you to a dermitologist (normally at the hospital). For me it was about 1 month from the GP writing off, and then 2 weeks to wait for an appointment. Was put on Accutane straight away.

Naturally it will vary on location etc, but get your GP to refer you to the nearest derm.

(btw just read above post which came in at the same time, stuff I was prescribed is Isotretinion which is the none brand name for it, so they may know it as that better).

It takes way longer for us girls to get Accutane. First the dermatologist will tell you to go on a Birth Control Pill, if you're not already on one. Then you need a pregnancy test, and then a blood test [to see if you're liver is okay]. Only after all this will they give you Accutane.

x

Hiya, basically in the uk you have to get your GP to refer you to a dermitologist (normally at the hospital). For me it was about 1 month from the GP writing off, and then 2 weeks to wait for an appointment. Was put on Accutane straight away.

Naturally it will vary on location etc, but get your GP to refer you to the nearest derm.

(btw just read above post which came in at the same time, stuff I was prescribed is Isotretinion which is the none brand name for it, so they may know it as that better).

wow sure is hassle for us girls huh?! lol. ho hum. thanks for filling me up, think ill get the doc 2 refer me to a derm and see how long i gota wait!

i dont think its that you have to wait along time to get accutane if its like here in australian it just takes ages to get an appointment with a der. i had to book like 3-4 months ahead to get an appointment with the derm. good thing is once your a patient you can get appointments prety much whenever you need em.

I live in the UK and i've had to wait bloody ages... my appointment with an NHS derm is on the 20th of September, having been referred by my GP in April or MAy..

It sucks! and if they dont give me it after this wait i may kill someone! (more than likely the derm) :D

They need to do liver tests first, so you'll have to wait another month at least.

I was referred by my GP in February and I'm only just about to get my Accutane next week...I hope!

x