Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
emily88

Question to all who have had excision done

So I am standing at a little bit more than 2 months post suture removal for the excision of my large chickenpox scar. The line scar is slightly depressed but it's so shallow that once the discoloration fades, I wouldn't be bothered by it. However, I have hard (and slightly raised) tissue around the area of the scar...I'm assuming it is scar tissue underneath. After asking my derm as well as other plastic surgeons, they pretty much all agree that it will soften and flatten on its own after some time as the wound heals some more. I know quite a few people on here have had excision done on their scars, so just wondering, did you guys feel the hard lump around your scars too or is it just me? If you experienced the same thing, did the lumpiness eventually softened and flattened out? Thanks a lot.

I was initially quite bummed out about my excision results but it is true what they say, that it does get better over time. Also for those who have recently had this procedure done, if you're struggling with the redness I would suggest concealer by Becca or Make Up For Ever (both available at Sephora). They're highly pigmented and cover everything!

I dont have any bumpy spots or anything just a line with redness around it. I am gonna use hydroquinone creme during the day and mederma at night on the scar once the steristrip comes off. I am sure that your scar will soften up they always do no matter where u scar. Anyway I am happy about mine as it looks great and I am ready to fade out the red and then get Fraxels done ina couple of months.

Also does anyone know how long to leave those steridtrips on for? my doc just said as long as it stays on but its been 4 days and the strip has not even started to loosen.

I had a large excision done 8 years ago when i was 21 on my cheek. I would never let a derm cut on my face. Mine looks great now, yours will heal and smooth out with time. Make sure to protect it with sun screen as scars heal a year plus after procedure. Plastic surgeons can also do a mini lift on large excisions to keep them from from sinking back down and looking indented. The plastic surgeon also burned the dermis with something before stiching me up because i could smell the flesh being burned and see the smoke rising

Guest HKS

hi2u - who did you get your excision done from?

My doctor does cosmestic Dermatology hi2u. Do you understand that we have problems of the skin not seeking a tit job? Do u think that a surgeon that does 100% of their surgeries on the skin alone, would do a better job or a plastic surgeon that does tons of different things not associated with the skin and acne scars in general? Seriously that is a dumb comment but I am glad your scar healed okay.

Yes i understand this, i'm just giving my opinion right or wrong. The name is Angelo Cuzalina at Tulsa Surgical Arts is who i use.

What I took from his/her opinion is technique is one of the most important things because with excision you are trading a scar for a scar. Best result would be a camouflaged scar that is barely perceptible. The mini left that is recommended helps with scar healing and most importantly to not let the scar sink. If the procedure is to simply cut it out and put external stitches in place with no consideration for internal stitches w/mini lift there is a pretty good chance you may have a sunken linear scar. That would be unfortunate because you just sunk a lot of hard earned money to hopefully rid yourself of a little sunken pit and now you might have a linear scar that sunk and therefore even if it is shallow indentation in the worst lighting situations it still looks crappy.

I personally will employ a plastic surgeon who specializes on the face and neck if I elect to try this again. They know how to do the above and other techniques to better your chances on getting good result.

If u are needing internal stitches then the scar is much to large to cut out. Check out my picture that scar only needed two stitches. I dont honestly think that really sunken pits are benefitted much with excisions either. I would also not see how burning a wound shut could possible be a good thing. DO u have any before and after pictures, well mainly post an after picture. I am curious to see how that looks.

I wasn’t going to reply to your post, but I will. Excision depends on many factors not just how small the scar or defect is. And yes you do have a better chance with success if the surgeon determines the best path for correction - mini lift in some situations is the best path. You heard this from two different posters here - two different surgeons. Sometimes a doctor has to cut things out of the skin(not just scars) - much larger then you think is possible and in these instances they have to utilize the best technique for optimal facial esthetics - i.e. follow the flow of skin, the texture, determine how you smile, smile lines, existing wrinkles, or how you will wrinkle in the future to determine the best course of action today and for the future. Simply putting two stitches in your face may not suffice. I am glad you are having good results, but scar revision is not as simple as you think and usually not as cheap as people think.

Guest HKS

Hi2u - how bad was your scar to begin with? how does it looks now?

I had an excision in 3/05 - 8mm deep boxcar approx 5 internal and 10 external sutures.

Emily- Mine was hard for a while, partly from the internal stitches and just the inflammed tissues, etc. It did gradulally soften. I had a dog ear--a raised bump at the bottom of the scar, which is gone now. Over the healing phase I removed 3 different sutures that came to the surface and was a main cause for the bumpy areas. I'm sure yours WILL soften in time.

Sometimes a scar, mole, cyst, etc. that requires excisions are large and require internal sutures. I'd much rather have my linear scar than the huge "crater" that was once there. It is easier to camoflauge with make-up, and since the linear scar is not nearly as deep it makes it easier to treat--with resurfacing, needling, etc. I have less depth to go-- to get it to the surrounding skin level. Unfortunately, after my excison the linear scar was also indented. (I was going for a flat linear scar!!!!) What is a mini-lift and how does it work?

The burning flesh smell is likely from a cautrey pen. A device which "burns" the tiny capillaries to stop the bleeding.

I'd be happy to email anyone pics of my excision. Emailing is easier for me. I've not had success with posting them here. Unless someone can give me SIMPLE steps to do it. I'm not good with computers. Sorry.