Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JeremyT87

Smoking and your skin

A question, im sure this has probably been asked before...but i was wondering, what kind of effects does smoking cigarettes have on your skin and acne? Responses would be appreciated because I haven't noticed a difference with my skin regarding cigarettes.

think of your lungs! your lungs!

sorry, had to get that out there. =) as for the effects of smoking on acne, no idea. you might want to search the forum on that topic though.

A question, im sure this has probably been asked before...but i was wondering, what kind of effects does smoking cigarettes have on your skin and acne? Responses would be appreciated because I haven't noticed a difference with my skin regarding cigarettes.

I havn't noticed a difference either. I don't think smoking really has any affect on your skin..

I havn't noticed a difference either. I don't think smoking really has any affect on your skin..

I don't believe that smoking has too much of a short term effect on your skin, but in the long run i believe it will cause massive aging towards it. But since I won't have to worry about that for quite a while I just have to gain the willpower to stop smoking completley.

It absolutely has an effect. Im pretty sure this is a proven fact..? You might not have noticed it but it WILL effect your skin sooner or later. Perhaps if you smoke all the time you wouldnt notice the difference.

Ive been an on again off again "social" smoker for a long time. Ive pretty much quit. but anyways, I would chain smoke maybe one night every two weeks or so..maybe a little more. I would smoke up to a half a pack in a night but I didnt smoke every day. Only when drinking. I noticed a BIG difference in my skin and breakouts for a couple days after smoking, especially the next morning. My skin looks..gross if Ive had more than maybe one smoke. All smoke is bad for the skin and horrible for the body in general (how could all those toxins NOT effect your skin?).

When I go a long time without smoking my breakouts heal faster, and my skin is more smooth and radiant. Smoking makes your skin pay the price.

i havent noticed anything. Ive smoked my whole way through the regimen, and i got clear of active acne.

so im not really noticing this supposed effect.

Well, the positive effects of smoking are that:

* It helps relax you which can help with stress induced forms of acne as well as quieting your digestive stress.

* It may also help heal your leaky gut impairment, while using it.

On the other hand:

* It is obviously a risk factor for lung cancer,

* It can raise your testosterone levels (50/50 on the studies),

* It's highly inflammatory due to several chemicals it contains,

* It contributes to Insulin Resistance (a Silent Chronic Inflammatory Disease) and as such, according to studies, if you are a smoker, then you are automatically Insulin Resistant :think:

Smoking and acne

Smoking was currently reported to be a clinically important

contributor to acne prevalence and severity (45). Recent investigations

revealed that cigarette smoke contains high amounts of

arachidonic acid and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons which

induce a phospholipase A2-dependent inflammatory pathway

(46); this effect may further stimulate arachidonic acid synthesis

(37). On the other hand, smokers have a higher saturated fat

intake with their food and much lower polyunsaturated fat

intake, principally due to a lower linoleic acid intake compared

with nonsmokers (47).

http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/dermato.../cont_feb05.pdf Full Text

I will kill you if you come near me with a cigarette :ninja:

I will kill you if you come near me with a cigarette :ninja:

Nice choice of words douchewad.

Well, I think you should quit smoking all together, for your body's sake.

BUT, if you continue, I think it actually might help due to it relieving stress. For some people stress causes breakouts/zits, less stress=less zits.

Smoking absolutely destroys your skin. I didn't really appreciate it when my mom would warn me about that, but I'm 25 now and I look at my friends who smoke (or smoked alot when they were younger) and those who didn't: HUGE difference in their skin/tone/texture/pores. The smokers look dull, weathered, already starting to wrinkle, huge pores etc and over all really sh*tty. Smoking completely destroys your skin. I know I had a smoking phase in high school and looking at the effects I am SO HAPPY I quit.

Smoking absolutely destroys your skin. I didn't really appreciate it when my mom would warn me about that, but I'm 25 now and I look at my friends who smoke (or smoked alot when they were younger) and those who didn't: HUGE difference in their skin/tone/texture/pores. The smokers look dull, weathered, already starting to wrinkle, huge pores etc and over all really sh*tty. Smoking completely destroys your skin. I know I had a smoking phase in high school and looking at the effects I am SO HAPPY I quit.

Well done, smoking is for your average human being is a really unecessary addiction.

Also, because of the constriction of blood vessels in the skin due to lack of oxygen from smoking, your wounds don't heal well, and this can contribute to scarring in acne sufferers.

So it may or may not contribute to acne directly....HOWEVER...it can significantly slow down wound healing in infected pustules.

Any way you look at it, it is TERRIBLE for your skin in the long run.

Guest Stu :-)

Its simply a burden on the body. like someone said, it will slow healing, you can get zits round your mouth from it, i get this after a heavy night of clubbing where i been chuffin all night long. Dirty skin.

Its filth..... pure and simple...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloracne

Chloracne is particularly linked to toxic exposure to dioxins (byproducts of many chemical processes, including the manufacture of herbicides such as Agent Orange)  so much so that it is considered a clinical sign of dioxin exposure. The severity and onset of chloracne may follow a typical asymptotic dose response curve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dioxin

Dioxins are also in smoke from typical cigarettes, those with chlorine-bleached paper and residues of many chlorine pesticides. Dioxin in cigarette smoke was noted as "understudied" by the US EPA in its "Re-Evaluating Dioxin" (1995). In that same document, the US EPA acknowledged that dioxin is "anthropogenic" (man-made, "not likely in nature"). Dioxin cannot come from the tobacco or any natural plant. Since then, the USA classified dioxin as a Known Human Carcinogen, and the USA signed the Stockholm Convention on POPs to globally phase out dioxin and 11 other of the worst industrial pollutants. Nevertheless, chlorine tobacco pesticides and chlorine-bleached cigarette papers remain legal, with no warning required to consumers.

with that said i still smoke weed everyday :dance:

it causes free radicals... I can always tell by someones skin if the are a long term smoker :shifty:

SMOKING= bad :naughty:

Short Answer: Don't smoke for overall better health. But if you want to Die a little sooner: keep at it.

Short Answer: Don't smoke for overall better health. But if you want to Die a little sooner: keep at it.

very insightful

It absolutely has an effect. Im pretty sure this is a proven fact..? You might not have noticed it but it WILL effect your skin sooner or later. Perhaps if you smoke all the time you wouldnt notice the difference.

Ive been an on again off again "social" smoker for a long time. Ive pretty much quit. but anyways, I would chain smoke maybe one night every two weeks or so..maybe a little more. I would smoke up to a half a pack in a night but I didnt smoke every day. Only when drinking. I noticed a BIG difference in my skin and breakouts for a couple days after smoking, especially the next morning. My skin looks..gross if Ive had more than maybe one smoke. All smoke is bad for the skin and horrible for the body in general (how could all those toxins NOT effect your skin?).

When I go a long time without smoking my breakouts heal faster, and my skin is more smooth and radiant. Smoking makes your skin pay the price.

I totally agree with you, when I gave up m skin is much better and heals faster and I dont even get spots coming up. So good. For some people smoking is the cause of their acne and others it is not, all you have to do is give up for three weeks and see what happens... if its going to work you will notice after the first week that you are not breaking out as much, by the second week you will probably not break out at all and by the third week you will just have scars. But as soon as you start smoking again they all come back just like they used too.... trust me ive experimented with this two times now!!!

smoking does not affect acne at all!!! it affects the health of your skin but not acne! So if you think stopping smoking will help acne dont bother

Maybe not for you Jaffa Cake BOY but it did for me and many others on this board... I have photos to prove it on the galary after one week I will be putting up more photos tonight and I will prove how much smoking has had an impact on my acne. I had 47 pimples 7 days ago and I gave up smoking 7 days ago and now I only have about 28 have to count again tonight and will then upload photos, it was so hard for me to give up smoking its been 14 years but its the only thing that has cleared my skin so if its not your problem dont dis it for other people that it could help. People like you shold not even be on an acne board if you are just going to dis other peoples remidies. Everyone here is out to help so if you dont have anything good to say, stay away! You probably dont even smoke Jaffa boy so of course it could not be a cause of your acne, EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.

Sorry smoking does not affect acne....if scientific evidence proves otherwise i will take that onboard but there is no evidence to support what you are saying.Yes i do smoke carla,and i know it does not affect my acne,it affects my skin by reducing the amout of oxygen and water it can consume causing premature wrinkles etc if your genetics are not immune to this but apart from that there is no scientific evidence to support what you are saying.Sorry

Small tangent, but related depending on what you're smoking. ;)

Anyone believe there is a correlation between smoking more... illicit substances (marijuana in particular) and acne?

I couldn't see there being any real downsides (other than the obvious health risk of lighting something on fire and breathing it) and in fact more good things, namely reduced stress, so long as you resist the temptations brought on by the diabolic munchies...

Sorry smoking does not affect acne....if scientific evidence proves otherwise i will take that onboard but there is no evidence to support what you are saying.Yes i do smoke carla,and i know it does not affect my acne,it affects my skin by reducing the amout of oxygen and water it can consume causing premature wrinkles etc if your genetics are not immune to this but apart from that there is no scientific evidence to support what you are saying.Sorry

I know there is no scientific evidence, of course I know that ive been searching and searcing regarding this because it is MY ACNE CURE... im not saying its yours, ITS MINE, MINE, MINE!!! Once you find your cure, it will be specifically YOUR CURE... EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT, different strokes for different folkes... Im just voicing my opinion for other because it is the only thing that has worked for me and if others want to try it then id be happy for them to and be able to help them, unlike you saying there is no evidence, so what there is no evidence Proactive works either, its all super stars talking crap cause their getting paid, trust me ive tried just about everything!!

ACNE AND SMOKING

Hi, I am a long time sufferer of Acne. I first got acne when I was 14 years old and I am now 27. I have been to many expensive dermatologists, Chinese herbalists and doctors and have tried many different remedies as listed.

Oral Antibiotics

Tetracycline, Minocycline and Doxycyline

Prescription washes, creams and gels

Retin-A, Differin, Benzoyl Peroxide, Clindamycin and Clindoxyl gel

Oral Contraceptives

Yasmin, Dianette and also tri-cyclen which I used along with spironolactone (which is for women with Polycystic Ovarian syndrome, which I have).

Other Miscellaneous things I have done

The three day acne apple diet off the internet which I paid about $30.

Used ProActive for 3 months.

Paid $500 to get my blood tested to see if I have any bad allergies to food, which I do to milk so I cut that out for over a year.

Paid $300 for skin peels.

Paid $400 for laser treatment.

Paid $500 at the Chinese herbalist.

I have pretty much tried everything apart from Roaccutane which I will not try as I am scared of the side effects. I am also glad I did not try it as I have now found out the reason for my acne.

One thing to think about before reading on, if you have ever seen the pictures on bill boards telling young children not to take drugs like speed and showing pictures of what it can do to your skin and they have big spots all over their skin and their teeth are all missing and yellow, then you can now see how smoking could do the same thing right?

About 8 months ago I decided I was going to quit smoking so I gave up for just three weeks and at that same time I started using spironolactone along with tri-cyclen and my skin completely cleared up. I thought my skin was clearing up from the spiro and try-cyclen and in the meantime I started smoking again I did not know this was the cause of my acne to come back after that three weeks, I had gone on a road trip and my pills were in the car and I thought maybe they have become un-usable due to the extreme heat. So I ordered more spiro and tri-cyclen and started over again and used them for three months and nothing was happening so I thought maybe it just worked for that three weeks then my body got immune to it. So I just figured another trial and error it did not work for me.

I then started thinking again one night and I thought maybe my acne is caused by smoking and then I thought back to the time I gave up for three weeks and how that is the only time I have ever had clear skin for the last 13 years. Then I thought about when I started smoking I was all of 11 years old but that was just really casual but by the time I got to 13 I had a part-time job and that is when I started actually smoking regularly. By the time I turned 14 I started to get slight acne and then it just got worse and worse by the time I was 16 I had pretty bad acne and I would not leave the house without makeup and I was had no confidence at all.

This is the time that I started to see doctors and they told me that it was just puberty and that I would grow out of it and gave me some mild face creams and contraceptive pills and I continued with these up until I was around 21 and then I started asking more questions, I was now not in puberty but how come I still have acne? So this is when the doctors started giving me antibiotics which cleared up my skin quite a bit but only for a short while but then they came back once my body was immune to them. I was then given prescription washes such as Retin-A and Clindoxyl gel and I used each different wash I received for a few months at a time and none of them worked so I would go back and just be given another type of face cream but none of them worked.

During all these treatments I would constantly be on the internet trying to figure out why I still had acne and paid for many other miscellaneous acne remedies and treatment as mentioned above, these medications were so expensive and NONE of them worked, but I was so angry, why would they not work, they are expensive you think they would work, why would people say try this and you will have a clear face and pay this money and you will be acne free. I now realize that its all just a big scam and there are many people out there that are using us acne sufferers who wake up in the morning crying, who do not want to leave the house because we are ashamed of our skin and they don’t even care as long as they are selling their product or treatments they are happy. I feel so sad that people can do this to us as I am not that type of person and would NEVER do anything like that to get money.

Anyway, so going back to when I started smoking and when my acne appeared and when my acne disappeared.

I was 13 when I started smoking on a regular basis.

By the time I was 14 I started getting acne.

By the time I was 16 I had acne.

Throughout the next 11 years until I was 27 I would continue to get acne until I decided to experiment with the relationship between acne and smoking. I searched the internet for a few days non stop for like 8 hours a day and found medical science saying that there is no connection between acne and smoking which was pretty depressing as I thought yes I have finally figured it out. I then checked acne.org and found that a few people were saying its all a personal thing, some people it does effect and some it does not so I decided to see whether it would be the cause for me. I also wanted to quit smoking as I had been smoking for 14 years and I knew it was time to quit as I was having trouble breathing and my circulation in my legs was not good they hurt every time I would try to rest. This also gave me some suspicion, I thought well if my feet are not getting good circulation then maybe the rest of my body is not and that is why my skin is bad.

So I quit smoking on the 20 December and it has only been 4 days so far and in that 4 days I have only had two new spots come up.

You can check out my diary in the gallery, it has only got my first day photos on it but I will put up new photos once a week for the next six weeks so I can show the connection, well im so positive there will be a connection and its only day 4, but if there is not a connection, we will all see in a few weeks.

Take care and all the best with everyone’s regimes.