Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smoothbig

Has anyone tried fasting?

Okay, you might all be thinking this thread doesnt belong here but I just came from doing the CSR and it didnt work for me. I stopped it because it was really damaging my skin - so i started to use a high end range for men skincare range from Shiseido which did great the first couple of weeks (probably normalising my skin from CSR) but then started to go bad.

I then followed a link from another part of this forum to an ebook about fasting and how it could help, i figured i had nothing to lose (some of you may have seen it as well). I am on day 4 now and it HAS cleared my skin alot, i would consider my skin to be moderate and they are all starting to fade.

I cant say its not hard because the first couple of days all I had was water, then I broke and I had to have something so I started to have fruit (apples only) and on day 4 i started to have some salad (once for that day only) and lots of water.

Has anyone else tried this? Who said diet had nothing to do with acne, I've just proved it to myself in 4 days that it DOES.

horrible idea the only thing u accompished was putting your body in a catabolic state where it feeds off of your muscle ( your body prefers to keep the fat ) and screwed with your metabolism.

Haha, it's probably not that dangerous actually. Your body might start eating away at the fat and you'll get skinny really fast. I don't think fasting for 4 days would cause your body to start using muscles for energy, it's probably using his fat reserves. Just think of all those people in Africa that do this all the time, they seem to be doing O.K. AND! if you've ever watched one of those "save the children" infommercials at like 2 a.m. you'd notice NONE OF THEM HAVE ACNE! I say go for it man, go 4 it.

I think it depends on how long you fast, how much water you are consuming during the fast (very important), and the state of your health BEFORE you fast. You don't want to fast if you are already unhealthy and you don't want to deprive your body of water.

There have been lots of people who have managed to sucessfully clear out their bodies with fasting - just don't overdue it. I also agree that 4 days - if done properly - wouldn't hurt you too much.

And Anarchy - those save the children infomercials are there because people are starving to death. Not because they've found a wonder acne cure. :)

Has anyone else tried this? Who said diet had nothing to do with acne, I've just proved it to myself in 4 days that it DOES.

Fasting has therapeutic benefits but I doubt it is a long term cure to acne. Besides, I don't think you have proved anything n 4 days - you said that shiseido worked great for the first couple of WEEKS then went wrong. I think you can only tell if a treatment has worked if you have cleared your acne and are able to keep it clear.

horrible idea the only thing u accompished was putting your body in a catabolic state where it feeds off of your muscle ( your body prefers to keep the fat ) and screwed with your metabolism.

its true, you're catabolizing :(

thanks for your replies.... ive been reading in these forums since my last post and i just love food too much ALTHOUGH i was merely stating the fact that this has worked for me in 4 days..

the reason why shiseido worked for me the first week was because i switched from CSR/BP to Shiseido, BP being very harsh on ur skin and drying, it probably normalised my skinf or that week which why it got better so much quicker. This time around i havent changed my regime but my diet and i saw the changes immediately.

no im not going to starve myself until im clear, ive just read that having a healthy clean colon and liver will allow you to digest foods quicker and the best way to do that was to fast and detox.

now i guess im starting to intake foods slowly, and the right foods at that, especially no dairy.

see how we go.

i guess i was amazed by the huge link between diet and acne when all along i was comforted into believing food had nothing to do with acne. i guess i wanted to believe it!! i love food.

ciao.

Fasting and starvation are two different things

Fasting activates an economization of tissue where fat and old or diseased tissue are catabolized first and

muscle mass is catabolized only later when most of the fat is gone and after that vital muscles are catabolized too. This requires 40 to 90 days and sometimes even more

If you just eat enough but undereat a lot then muscle mass is catabolized because digestion requires energy and a lot of it. So undereating waste muscles wereas fasting doesn't or at least does that at the end of fasting

Fasting actually is known to do pretty extraordinary things.

For example if someone with anemia fast her ferritin and iron levels will be very high after the fast and after few days of fast muscle mass growth is increased by 50% and so is even bone growth.

The reason is that fast activates a condition of physiological autolysis and what happens is that your body use old and diseased tissues to build new tissues. This is way the skin is renewed after a fast

Fasting increases life span because of this recycling effect

I think newbys that read a book or two and know what to aspect, how to begin it and how to break it can fast up to 5 days safely but it's better to begin with 3 days. Way more experienced people who have read more on the subject and have fasted at least 5 times may fast up to 7 and 10 days but longer fasts require medical supervision in my opinion

Instead of making long fast one may accumulate may days of fast fasting for example just one day a week

Fasting is not mumbo-jumbo but a scientifically studied physiological process and althought many books on fasting are outdated ... Dr. Furhman book on fasting is up-to-date with modern physiological and nutritional knowledge

One should never fast to lose weight

I guess you are talking about the ebook I posted smoothbig, the one by Dr. Moser

If you can and are interested in the argument I'd suggest you to buy Dr. Fuhrman book on fasting

and you'll get skinny really fast

starvation mode for the body means making you tired and weak... it prefers not to eat itself, so it just makes you want to go lay down until you get some food.

that said... zero calories means zero acne... and there is a low cutoff point where you can still eat and have little to no acne, but i have no idea what it is. all i know is that when i'm starving myself (as i sometimes do), very little or no new acne forms.

CSR is a great method, though.

Danny, excellent response. The only thing I would add is that cultures and religious groups that do fast, most add some element of vitamin C to it. In indian traditions it takes the form of pure orange/lemon juice in the morning. If you are going to go on a fast, Vit C powder added to water would suffice.