Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If Accutane doesn't work, when Accutane works you mean.

Trust me, accutane will work.

What day of it are you on?

I'm a total newbie/day 10.

I just don't like the way my skin feels so, I don't know, angry :evil: It's not breaking out per se. It feels like it's going to slide off; like it's floating on a layer of liquid just waiting to slide off. Out of desperation I put on BP 10% and it feels soooooooo much better, tight again. I know I shouldn't use the BP but the other option is ditching the 'tane.

I just think that hormones are such crazy things that it's hard for me to believe that 'tane will work. It doesn't address the root after all [hormones] as far as I'm aware. I think 'tane works better for males than females. Males are simple creatures in terms of hormones. <wink> I probably should have started this journey with an endo rather than a derm now that I think about it. :idea:

Oh well, for today - with the 10% I'm hanging in there.

Yeah, if my acne comes back, I'll definitely push for the spiro. So far, it's ok, but I've always felt mine was hormonal, and like you said accutane doesn't actually deal w/the hormonal aspect of acne. I tried to tell that to my doc, but she was adamant that I go the 'tane route first. Whatever!

Neither. It's an antiandrogen that blocks male hormones. For some women, it seriously helps to get rid of hormonal acne.

Well, it can diminish your sex drive, AND it's not a cure. If it works for you, you have to take it indefinitely. Sucks, but there you are.

I think derms can prescribe it, although I'd think a gyno could, too. Not too sure about that one.

Yeah, if my acne comes back, I'll definitely push for the spiro. So far, it's ok, but I've always felt mine was hormonal, and like you said accutane doesn't actually deal w/the hormonal aspect of acne. I tried to tell that to my doc, but she was adamant that I go the 'tane route first. Whatever!

Not as many potentially damaging side effects as well.

Do you have really healthy hair?

I have this theory that females with hormone breakouts [HB] also tend to have =fantastic= hair. Hair that no amount of chemical can damage. My hair is like that. My friends with HB all have great, healthy hair.

If Accutane doesn't work, when Accutane works you mean.

Trust me, accutane will work.

What day of it are you on?

Not always true for the girls. Accutane cleared my daughter but it only lasted two weeks and the whole cycle started again. It doesn't always work for hormonal breakouts.

Not always true for the girls. Accutane cleared my daughter but it only lasted two weeks and the whole cycle started again. It doesn't always work for hormonal breakouts.

Boston-- Does your daughter feel tired or fatigued at all? What's her dose of Spiro? I've been on 200 mg since July 7 and I feel SOOO tired all the time- it's horrible!

Yes she does. She just started complaining about it this week. I told her it was a side effect. She is also very thirsty and I told her that was also from the drug. I will have to leave it up to her whether or not she wants to continue with it. She might as well be on accutane since thirst and fatigue are side effects with that too. I am hesitant about her taking a higher doseage than Yasmin plus 50 mgs.

did anyone on here take spiro or yasmin bc and lose sex drive? this is a fun part of my life! it seems like to have no acne, i have to give up something else i enjoy :(

hey Girl...I just wanted to say that I was on both Spiro and Yasmin and had NO SEX DRIVE it was a nightmare, let me tell you. It got to a point that I actually stopped taking the BC. I feared that the acne would come back but it didn't. Now my spiro prescription has expired and my derm has left the office I go to and the new one will not prescribe it to me since i am in "childbearing years". There are serious side effects in unborn babies if you get pregnant while its in your system. :( So i don't know what to do now, its sucks.

Guest been13years

I have this theory that females with hormone breakouts [HB] also tend to have =fantastic= hair. Hair that no amount of chemical can damage. My hair is like that. My friends with HB all have great, healthy hair.

Oh, I don't know. My hair is so-so as far as thickness and fantastic-ness, but I still have the hb's like you wouldn't believe. But in general, I guess it could make sense since estrogen promotes softer skin and hair (why males don't have skin as smooth) and if you've got more estrogen maybe you've got more of the others that cause breakouts.

Oh, I don't know. My hair is so-so as far as thickness and fantastic-ness, but I still have the hb's like you wouldn't believe. But in general, I guess it could make sense since estrogen promotes softer skin and hair (why males don't have skin as smooth) and if you've got more estrogen maybe you've got more of the others that cause breakouts.

Thats funny, i have hormonal problems and my hair is extremely healthy/soft, shiny, haha!

Hey not that I'm planning on having kids anytime soon, but is Spiro safe during pregnancy? I'm going to guess "no" since not too many things acne related are really safe during pregnancy. But my sister broke out pretty bad during her pregnancy so I kind of want to avoid that.. I know that pregnancy acne is all hormonal.. but just checking.

And also, do you need monthly visits with the doctor when taking spiro? If I'm on accutane, can I take it, or do I have to wait til I'm done? Sorry for the newbie questions on this stuff but I'm quite intrigued...

Hey not that I'm planning on having kids anytime soon, but is Spiro safe during pregnancy? I'm going to guess "no" since not too many things acne related are really safe during pregnancy. But my sister broke out pretty bad during her pregnancy so I kind of want to avoid that.. I know that pregnancy acne is all hormonal.. but just checking.

And also, do you need monthly visits with the doctor when taking spiro? If I'm on accutane, can I take it, or do I have to wait til I'm done? Sorry for the newbie questions on this stuff but I'm quite intrigued...

You cannot take spiro while pregnant. It can affect a male fetus adversely I understand. You should stop two months prior to trying. Spiro is something to try before accutane but not during. If you have made the decision for accutane then take it because everyone will eventually clear using accutane IMO. It just might not last. You can do spiro after the tane to keep the good results going. My daughter's doc had her blood checked after two months on spiro cause she was light headed so he checked her potassium levels which can be affected by spiro. Everything came back normal. Monthly checks are not mandatory or anything like they are with accutane.

I am probably going on Sprio soon. I am 32, had beyond perfect skin until 22. Never used bc or accutane. Well, I did try bc pills for about 2 months and I think it got worse. Now my acne is confined to my jaw line which I understand is hormonal. And yes, now that I think about it, I do have good hair, which (now that I think about it) suprises me cause I have done A LOT to my hair... including getting it chemically straightened and it is still healthy and shiny. I've tried other persp. pills and they may have worked for a while, but never more tha 70% and that was son long ago. Then I just took matters into my own hands and did proactiv etc. But recently the jawline thing has come back and worse than before. Bumps with no "heads." never really dealt with that before. So my new derm gave me these sulfur based cleansing cloths which are good. And made me swicth to the pump version (he said bar version is not good) of cetaphyl for oily skin (not the regular one). So I alternate with those while my skin is getting used to the sulfar cloths. he also gave me benzaclyn which I used in 1995 and didnt like, but it seems ok now. However, I am getting fed up, as I am sure all of you are, and I want to try the Spiro. My friend is taking it along with yasmin and she is totally clear, and says she has NO side effects at all. She said that the first day she had a bad headache... but who knows whether it was from that. Other than that she loves it. She thinks that it is the Spiro and not the combo fo the bc and sprio that clered her up, but she doesnt want to take any chances, so she is just sticking to the 2. I am going to try spiro alone. My doc says sprio works alone and works better with bc, so we'll see. He also does the photo facial thing... its 350 here in NYC and I will try that as well. I havent been on here in a while, but will post to let you all know how it goes

has anyone tried spiro w/o bc??

did anyone on here take spiro or yasmin bc and lose sex drive? this is a fun part of my life! it seems like to have no acne, i have to give up something else i enjoy :(

hey Girl...I just wanted to say that I was on both Spiro and Yasmin and had NO SEX DRIVE it was a nightmare, let me tell you. It got to a point that I actually stopped taking the BC. I feared that the acne would come back but it didn't. Now my spiro prescription has expired and my derm has left the office I go to and the new one will not prescribe it to me since i am in "childbearing years". There are serious side effects in unborn babies if you get pregnant while its in your system. :( So i don't know what to do now, its sucks.

Find a diff derm. I am 32... prime child bearing years and i am not on bc and plan to start sprio next week w/o bc. they can not and should not withold medcine from someone b/c they COULD get pregant.