Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
random mom

Need Help with 13 year old *Picture Added*

If shes got severe acne then the antibiotics and all that stuff are not gonna do much. If she cant take accutane (which I did with no problems at all and 100% cleared up) Then there is a laser that mimics the oil controlling effect of accutane. Ask your derm aobut it.

Also a quick oil control solution that will keep your daughter blackhead free and significantly reduce her acne is to use those oil control wipes from clean and clear. They suck up the oil and unclog the pore which is why u get acne and blackheads. U can use them all day so she doesnt have to be greasy either which is great in itself.

Hope she gets over it fast.

Random mom, Benozyl peroxide and antibiotics etc are all temporary solutions and they are unlikely to fix the problem all together, Most antibiotics are only effective for a few months before the body becomes immune to them.

Shes not very old so if you put her on accutane now it would most likely clear her up and she could still enjoy the best years of her life.

Theres people with less severe acne than your daughter on here that have had accutane, If it affects her self esteem that much then that alone makes it worth it to have accutane.

I guess you got to weigh up your options, I am on accutane and i see it like braces, it will be bad for a period of time but once its done it will be a lifetime of good.

Good luck

I just want to thank you all for your support and advice. I will try to persuade my daughter to join this board for emotional support. I think the regimen will be tolerable to her because she is already used to a daily schedule (3 pills per day/2 Tretin X cleanings per day). Also, I definitely feel more prepared to stand up to the doctor tomorrow now that I have been given a wealth of information from you guys. Thanks so much for that. I have a notepad of questions ready. :)

You've also helped me understand that her low self-esteem is a symptom of acne. It's funny though. I showed her this message board to see if she wanted to join and we looked through the gallery. Her typical comments were "He's so cute!" "She's so pretty!" Yet, she was looking at pictures of some of you with "bumps". I said to her, "You're so beautiful too! See, acne doesn't make you ugly." This board is wonderful! :clap:

I just want to thank you all for your support and advice. I will try to persuade my daughter to join this board for emotional support. I think the regimen will be tolerable to her because she is already used to a daily schedule (3 pills per day/2 Tretin X cleanings per day). Also, I definitely feel more prepared to stand up to the doctor tomorrow now that I have been given a wealth of information from you guys. Thanks so much for that. I have a notepad of questions ready. :)

You've also helped me understand that her low self-esteem is a symptom of acne. It's funny though. I showed her this message board to see if she wanted to join and we looked through the gallery. Her typical comments were "He's so cute!" "She's so pretty!" Yet, she was looking at pictures of some of you with "bumps". I said to her, "You're so beautiful too! See, acne doesn't make you ugly." This board is wonderful! :clap:

Definately, this board has been a life saver for quite a few people including myself I think, just to know that their are others out there that are going through the same thing as you, or in this case your daughter.

Stay in touch, hope all goes well, and check out the Clear Skin Regime board for tips and what your daughter can expect whilst on Dans regime

I was 13 when my face exploded, and it never went back to normal. Sorry, I know that can't make you feel better. However, my parents refused to acknowledge that I had a problem and refused to buy me any topicals or take me to see a doctor for a few years, so I just learned about acne treatment from stupid teen magazines. It was all wrong. Your daughter is already ahead of the game since you want to help her. Finally I got my mom to take me to a derm, and I went to him for years, but nothing helped. Every few months he gave me something new and said, "This will make it worse before it gets better." It always got worse, but then stayed there. Finally, he said that he couldn't do anything else for me unless I wanted Accutane. I think I was 15 or 16 at that time, and I didn't want it because it meant I'd have to go to a gyno for birth control first, and I was not mature enough emotionally to handle that yet. So I went to a nutritionist for years, which helped my body feel better as a whole, but still didn't help my face. Anyway, I did finally try birth control when I was about 20 and took it for like 5 years. It helped a bit with oil production, but that was it. I tried one course of Accutane when I was 25, and it helped, but the zits came back a month or two after I stopped it. I will not try it again. Now I am 27 and still have zits, but I just recently found this website and the info is really helpful. I started Dan's CSR regimen about 2 months ago, and it seems to be helping, and now I have hope (which is really important). I don't recommend Accutane for your daughter because she is much to young for it. It could damage her body. It is really more for adults who never grew out of teenage acne. Your daughter may grow out of it and does not need to take that risk. Just try to treat it as best you can to keep it under control. Do you allow her to wear makeup to cover the spots? If not, you may want to consider it because it may help her self-esteem somewhat. If she does wear makeup already, maybe you could treat her to a lesson by a professional about how to effectively cover spots and what products to use. This way, she will be educated and feel more in control. Looking back, I think I would have liked that. Also, show her this website. She will learn a lot, and she can anonymously speak with rest of us about what has/hasn't worked for us and how she is not alone. I wish I found a resource like this way back when. 14 years of bad acne later...Acne.org to the rescue! Judging from the picture you included, she would probably have success with the CSR. That's what I would recommend. Stay away from the Accutane until she's done growing and maturing. It's not worth the risk. I'm sorry to hear about the way her grandmother treated her. I don't really know what to say except maybe arm your daughter with some shoot-em-down responses because you know the woman is not done commenting on her face. Even after she gets clear, there will be comments. That's my impression. Sorry for the long post (and please remember that it's all just my opinion). I hope it helps and I hope your daughter joins us on the org! Everyone here is super supportive and non-judgemental, and no one has to know who she is or what she looks like. Good luck!

I know I already posted, but here's a list of things that have greatly helped clear up my once-cystic acne.

1. drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day

2. cutting out all dairy/gluten/bad sugars/ includes candy/soda etc.

3. getting plenty of sleep and not being stressed out. these two are key.

4. changing my pillow case every night and cleaning all phones etc. often

5. Dan's regimen

6. 10g of B5

7. zinc, flaxseed, vitamin A and C, clearpores hebal supplement

8. NOT using hair products! I even cut out conditioner. The oils in it were getting onto my skin and making me break out. I just use head and shoulders shampoo now.

9. I find my skin looks alot healthier and clearer when I drink a glass of carrot juice every day

10. limited sun exposure and swimming in chlorine pools (helps me alot!)

11. independent thinker's green smoothies (look at the Diet/holistic health board for more information)

Hope those help a little. For me, a combination of all these things has helped my skin alot.

Also try apple cider vinegar. I havn't tried it yet but I really want to. It's supposed to greatly help acne and redmarks. Look at the redmarks board for info on it.

no offence but thats kinda freaky and unrealistic. come on shes fucking 13 like what the hell, whos guna go they're whole teenage years without having some sorta candy? carrot juice? aha surrr. i heard about these smoothies and that for the most part all they do is give bad gas and smelly breath.

the only little things that probably help and aren't impossible to actually do is drinking lots of water (i heard this isn't true but who cares its good 4 you anyways), dont' touch your face/neck... and i dont' mean picking i mean TAKE YUR GOD DAMN HANDS OFF YOUR GOD DAMN FACE. and always wash your face wen you wake up/ go to sleep. if you have oil on your face try to dab it off with paper towel... and thas the only ones i can think of. OH and the most important: always be consistant :angel:

We went to the doctor today and were told the usual: Stay on the antibiotic, keep using the Tretin X. The only thing he added was a prescription for some cleansing pads for her to use twice a day. He did a procedure where he had this tweezer-type thing and took out blackheads. She said it didn't hurt, it just felt "weird". He wouldn't even discuss Accutane because of her age and the side affects. He didn't want her using the BP because it would "dry out her face". I asked about moisturizing and he wanted her to only moisturize if she had dry spots - otherwise not to.

It's strange though. After reading Dan's regimen and the "whys" of his regimen, it all made perfect sense. Take the moisturizing for example. Why would one want to wait until the dryness showed up before moisturizing? Isn't dryness a reaction to irritated skin? And irritated skin is a precursor to acne. I brought that up to him and he replied the moisturizer would "block" the pores. :wall:

So basically, I showed my daughter the videos from Dan's regimen, we bought the supplies and she is starting his treatment today. I had to make another appt with the derm in two months and I'm hoping she'll be cleared up from this regimen so I can give the derm some advice this time.

I like what you guys have done with the gallery and I'm encouraging her to take pictures so she can see the changes better. I told her she doesn't have to post them here, but at least take them because when you're used to looking at yourself day after day, you don't notice as small changes are happening. But when you compare a picture from a week ago to now, you can better assess the changes. Maybe that will help encourage her and give her a lift.

Today at school some kids were harassing another kid about her acne. My daughter said she was so mad about it, but it also made her scared that they would come after her. I encouraged her to offer her friendship to that girl they harassed and help give her confidence. Kids can be so mean. What comes around goes around though. At my 20 year high school reunion, the popular, mean kids were the ones who had divorces, low paying jobs, tragedies in their lives. The ones who were picked on and labeled by those popular mean kids were the successful, happy ones. I believe in Karma. So 20 years from now take a look at the "popular" "mean" kids and see how they turn out. It'll be well worth it.

It's strange though. After reading Dan's regimen and the "whys" of his regimen, it all made perfect sense. Take the moisturizing for example. Why would one want to wait until the dryness showed up before moisturizing? Isn't dryness a reaction to irritated skin? And irritated skin is a precursor to acne. I brought that up to him and he replied the moisturizer would "block" the pores. :wall:

lol. I think the doctor is retarded.

Best of luck to your daughter! I'm sure her skin will heal up nicely quite soon. :)

alot of doctors are retarted especially the ones who mis diagonose you for a certain illness which causes you to have a certain operation which you didn't need in the first place. I came to realize from personal experience that doctors don't know everything and can't be depended on fully. Always ask for second opinion for serious things. :think:

I'm guessing accutane would be your best bet since you've tried everything else. She can start playing sports once she is off of it. But I am no doctor to say this... I'm sure her skin will be better in no time hopefully. Good luck to you and your daughter.

You need a new doctor. SERIOUSLY! When I first started seeing a derm, he was the most uncaring, passive man I have ever met. He didn't give a flying F that I had some of the WORST cystic acne. He would tell me to take antibiotics and throw some cream on and then he would be out the door before I could blink. Then one day, the heavens opened up and I was refered to a physician's assistant that worked in the same office (they do the SAME thing) and she has been my savior. My parents never really supported me and my fight with acne. My mom even made fun of me once :doubt: . But my PA was always there for me. I always have to go in for cortisone injections. She told me I don't even have to make an appt, just go in and she will fix me up. And she rarely rarely makes me pay my copay. She always takes time out of her schedule to talk to me and make me feel better. That is a REAL doctor. Someone who is caring. This is the type of doctor your daughter needs because they will make sure she gets the right treatment. GET A NEW DOCTOR!!!

and good luck :D

She is 14 and accutane can stunt your growth in younger people. But she is a female so I think that would not be as severe as the possibility of keeping bad acne and possible scarring.

That said I would try laser treatments for oil control. They are pricey but most insurance will cover it and that is your second best option other than accutane. Also no side effects involved.

Random mom you are the best mom ever!!

i wish my mom was soo cool about my skin. all she said was you need to wash your face more :doubt:

no no the derm is right about the accutane. you're daughter isn't really the 'best' candidate for accutane. her face isn't that bad (anywer as bad as mynes at least) and shes too young (younger than me and im the starting age) and to top it off shes female (obvoiusly).

although the moisturizing thing i have no idea if hes right or not. just im sure that if the treatment your doing now hasn't worked for 6 months, i doubt it'l actually work at all in the long(er) run.

my two cents:

first of all... you deserve an award for caring so much about her skin. She (and possibly you) may think that its 'horrible' but its nowhere near the condition that some parents let it get to before seeking out treatment from a doctor. I have seen all too many times where parents tell their kids that their skin will clear up with soap and water or they will grow out of it or ridiculous stuff like that. Your daughter doesnt look bad at all and in fact has relatively mild acne; there are girls her age who have it much worse. First of all.. the doctor your are seeing doesnt seem to be a very good one to me. Okay, so they are giving her cleansing wipes and telling her to wash her face? This is ridiculous.. there already is a problem (acne) with her skin that is evident and needs to be treated. BP treats acne and prevents it. I think your daughter is PRIME candidate for the regimen. Reassure her that if she gets consistent and keeps at the regimen she WILL be looking much better in a relatively short period of time from now.

I understand your concern for her skin and all.. but you are skipping ahead too far when thinking of accutane. This medicine isnt some kind of cure-all or guaranteed safe fix. It requires serious consideration and can be potentially dangerous. From what it seems, i am going to predict that this is her first significant concern over acne and she hasn't been on a strict regimen before. Basically this is the beginning of her skin care and accutane is for those who have been at it for years and still have been suffering. This isnt even the norm. Your daughter should def. be able to clear up some other way.

As a mom it is also your responsibility not to let her deviate from the regimen and any follow up regimen after she is clear. Most kids, including myself, may not want to maintain their skin after its clear and their acne will come back. During these teenage years clear skin costs the daily skin care regimen. I am 16 and just cleared up this year and am expecting to have dans regimen in my life for at least the next 3-4 years of my life.

IMPORTANT:

When you get the Benzoil Peroxide tube, put s small amount of it in her shoulder, chest, back or anywhere covered by clothes. If her skin is remarkably red at that spot the next day, she may be allergic to benzoil Peroxide and if that's the case, don't ever let her use that cream (or anything containing BP).

Around 2% of people are allergic to it and from the few friends who have acne, most of them (3) got allergic reactions from it (bad coincidence maybe)

Just a simple 1-day test. I've felt guilty when I recommended a friend Benzamycin (has benzoil peroxide) and her whole face got red temporarily. I know the probability is small but better safe than sorry.

Tell your daughter not to worry about it!!! I'm 15 and had MUCH MUCH worse acne than her. I, too had people tell me cruel things.. and it was hard.. but eventually I got over it. I hope your daughter does too. I wish her the best of luck and hopefully she gets this acne BS over with. :)

As a mom it is also your responsibility not to let her deviate from the regimen and any follow up regimen after she is clear. Most kids, including myself, may not want to maintain their skin after its clear and their acne will come back. During these teenage years clear skin costs the daily skin care regimen. I am 16 and just cleared up this year and am expecting to have dans regimen in my life for at least the next 3-4 years of my life.

alot of ppl here talk about accutane but hav NVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr taken it

o its dangerous o ull die

o the side effects

A dont let her get pregnant thats about it. depro vera=good

IUD = good

other than that accutane is ur best shot

these regimen ppl are deluding themselves

i hav taken accutane 2x and look im alive!

lol I used accutane on very mild acne and it cleared up excess oil, acne, redness, and minor indents left from acne. THat is a lot for only 5 months of dry lips. Also I was in college when I first broke out and had my worst breakout at 23 so that should give some of the younger kids something to think about. Accutane is a CURE for a lot of people the others are not and many times work until they have been used so long that your bod gets immune to them (which was my case) Anyway glad as hell that I did it and dont worry about nasty acne or grease or blackheasds again. Also if acne ever does come back I did it once with no probs so I would do it again without thinking twice.

Because she is only 13, it might be a passing hormonal thing.

Try Dan's regimen. Also see if she can get on birth control. Tons of women on this board love Yasmin. If she is menstruating, she should see a gyno anyway.

If in a year her skin isn't managable, go for Accutane. There's no sense for her high school life to be ruined. At 15, she should be able to get Accutane. That's the light at the end of the tunnel. In 2 years, all her acne problems will be over.

I wish my mother were as sympathetic as you. Your daughter is lucky to have you nuture and care for her. Always, always, always remind her that it's not her looks that count but her spirit.

Her acne is a test of strength. When she can live life for all that it is no matter what people say or think and wear no makeup with out a care in the world, she can do anything. She will know and accept herself. She will have confidence in any situation.

depro vera=good

IUD = good