Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sickunt

self dosing on accutane

ey all,

Im posting this here cause i know it will get replies, no one ever replies to my log :( ha

Anyway

My derm is pretty unprofessional he doesnt seem to know fuck all about accutane, he didnt know what i was talking about with accumlative dose, hes just like "oh we give everyone seven boxes". My question is, at the moment hes got me on 60 mg a day but i want to finish in time for summer, im 1/2 a month off making that deadline at this rate, would it hurt in the last month if i bumped my own dose up to 80 mg?

Also this derm hasnt asked for a blood sample since ive been taking accutane, shouldi request to have one done?

Cheers

I would have to say don't change your dose, even if you think your derm is an idiot. It could be dangerous. You're so close to the end of you treatment that two weeks over your "deadline" won't make much of a difference. However, you should talk to him about a blood test. You are supposed to have a test once a month. Since you are male, it obviously wouldn't be for pregnancy, but they need to check your cholesterol levels as well as a bunch of other stuff. This derm of yours sounds like a hack.

my derm also doesnt know much about accutane! i was asking her stuff like 'how bad could my initial breakout be and does it happen to everyone, and she was like 'your skin will just get dry but it will completely clear and you wont have a breakout!'

if i didnt come on this site i wouldnt know anything about accutane!

this is a worrying trait in derms

mine is the same. No idea about the dose. Did not even look at my back on one visit!!! only sent me for blood tests when I mentioned it!!!

however changing your dose would be a terrible idea...its not just the medical implications for yourself...there is a reason you need to go to a derm to get roaccutane.....legal reasons. If you get ill on a self prescribed dose your not coverd by insurance.......

If you're on 60mg per day, you're on that for a good reason. It would not be wise to up your dosage, but it is your decision. If you think it is worth the risk, there's only one way to find out.

I have read (somewhere in the web) that your accutane dose in mgs shouldnt be more than your weight, so if you weigh 70kg, dont exceed 70mg a day. Hope it helps.