Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jordan12

Does aloe vera actually work?

I have never tried it in an over-the-counter product but have applied the gel from an actual aloe vera plant. I did see some positive changes and it did not irritate my skin at all like some people are saying on here.

I only use it for two weeks while i was in spain so I was not able to see the full effects it had to offer and would have tried it back home but am using neem instead now.

I don't think aloe vera is going to cure you of acne. Straight from the plant I found it very irritating - my skin started to itch.

I have been using an aloe vera gel, combined with a few drops of jojoba oil whilst taking accutane. I like this combination alot. I don't know if the aloe vera is doing anything, but my skin has healed quite nicely and I do put it down to that, at least in part.

Guest jay1986

I think its a bogus product for acne. But is supposed to be good for the skin

I've read conflicting reports on aloe vera's healing properties. Does anyone have accurate information on it?

i have tried fruit of the earth 100% aloe vera gel as a moisturizer. worked good at frist but after 3-4 weeks it clogged my pores pretty bad and i broke out from it. it's good to treat scars and sunburns, but that's about it.

I have read reports that aloe vera gel is non-comedogenic, so I suspect that you actually broke out from something else.

I use Jason's 98% for hair gel mostly (tho I don't worry about it getting on my skin near the hairline. I usually work the excess off my neck) and have a small size tube in my car for when I need it while in transit.

I have 2 BIG bottle of FOTE at home on my desk and bathroom for my face/elbow etc whenever. I usually gently work one big squeeze to absorb nicely and then another big squeeze to layer/pile it on, like 1 mm thick.

I have a bottle of lily of the desert 99% at work.

They don't clog my pore and sooth my face wonderfully. I doubt it iwll do anything to treat acne, but I couldn't have endure the initial peeling/burning phase of tazorac without aloe to calm/sooth my skin and improve complexion.

I've read conflicting reports on aloe vera's healing properties. Does anyone have accurate information on it?

i have tried fruit of the earth 100% aloe vera gel as a moisturizer. worked good at frist but after 3-4 weeks it clogged my pores pretty bad and i broke out from it. it's good to treat scars and sunburns, but that's about it.

I have read reports that aloe vera gel is non-comedogenic, so I suspect that you actually broke out from something else.

I'm not entirely convinced that it's entirely non-comedogenic myself... I find products that contain aloe vera will almost always break me out if there are any other ingredients besides the aloe and alcohol/gel base. Aloe lotions are probably the worst, at least for me... but I don't seem have any problems with the CVS 100% aloe gel or my store-brand fragrance/dye-free aloe gel that has alcohol in it... yet.

I'm not entirely convinced that it's entirely non-comedogenic myself... I find products that contain aloe vera will almost always break me out if there are any other ingredients besides the aloe and alcohol/gel base. Aloe lotions are probably the worst, at least for me... but I don't seem have any problems with the CVS 100% aloe gel or my store-brand fragrance/dye-free aloe gel that has alcohol in it... yet.

Its difficult to say. The only comprehensive list I have found of comedogenic and non-comedgogenic ingredients is on a website called www.zerozits.com - check the articles section, in particular the one called become an acne detective. Whilst the site itself is a skincare range (which I have never tried and therefore cannot vouch for) the article itself seems pretty unbiased. Now I know there are other people on this site that don't agree with the information in the article but, until I see something better, its pretty much my guideline for what I will and will not use on my face (that, together with common sense!)