Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
queengodiva

Have to take BC pills on accutane?

Hi All,

I am considering taking accutane for my mild to moderate persistent acne. I am 29 and have had acne since I was 15 or so. What I'm wondering is whether I am required to take BC pill if I am abstinent, my derm says that it is required. If so, can the MD tell that I have or haven't been taking the pill I am aware of the risks as far as birth defects,etc. I am abstinent and plan to be for a while and the pill is very difficult for me to take. I just wonder if they take your word for it that you are on BC pills. Thanks for the advice!

No, there's no way for them to tell... well, I guess you'd still have to get a prescription and fill it every month for BC if you were going to lie and say you were taking it. You have to put down two BC forms for IPledge... so condoms and abstinence both count. Best not to lie to doctors, though. Any particular reason why you don't tolerate BCPs? If there isn't, then better safe than sorry.

I have my tubes tied...and before we found out that I didn't have to participate in Ipledge (other than monthly preg tests), my derm said to say that I was using condoms/foam in addition to having my tubes tied.

He said it was the only one that they couldn't check up on.

For the nun that was his client (yes...nun!) she said she was abstinent and using condoms/foam. Dumb...huh?

Thanks for the information:) I have never been able to tolerate BC pills at all-seem to make me anxious, depressed, (a big no-no for accutane) and when I get off of them it takes a while for my body to get back to normal. I don't want to lie to my derm if I can help it but I also know that I will not be having sex and if were to think about doing so, I would go on the BC pill. To be honest I would feel safer being abstinent, so that I wouldn't have to worry about it. Ah well-I am giving a few other methods a try before considering accutane. I've had mild acne for a long time and I'm ready to be done with it:)