Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Whiteh

BP and Salicylic Acid

I recently bought dans cleanser and 2 bottles of BP buit i'm not using it yet as i'm going on holiday on the 23rd and dnt want the initial breakout then and beecause BP makes your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Anyway, my mum bought me this thing a few days after the CSR stuff came - Dermalogica Medicated Clearing Gel. So far it seems to be doing a good job, my skin is reasonably clearer after 5 days i think (you apply it at night). It's active ingrediant is Salicylic Acid. When I come back from my holiday and start using the BP is it ok to use both BP and SA? Or will it over-irritate? Maybe BP in morning and the SA at night?

It will likely be irritating.

If you feel this Dermalogica product is clearing your acne, you can consider just sticking with it for a few months and see if that holds up in the longrun. SA never helped my acne at all, but I know for some people it is helpful. If it does, then great! If not, you can always try the CSR.

Otherwise, I would not use the two together, at least not in the beginning.

After using BP for years, I switched to only SA (via the Biore line) for about 2 weeks. SA got rid of all my big pimples, but it made me breakout in a lot of whiteheads and it eventually turned my skin red. So I had my choices: BP meant decent overall skin but several major pimples; SA meant whiteheads and redness. A combo of the two theoretically would take care of all types of acne, but it just felt like too many chemicals and was way too overdrying. Eventually I went back to just BP.