Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have quite severe Bruxism, teeth grinding at night. My frontal teeth are noticible worn, however the teeth themselves healthy. I am being reffered to the dental hospital soon (on the nhs 'soon' can be an ambigous term'). I have been seeing a chiro, in relation to something else and he has diagnosed a maloccution of the jaw. Am going to go straight back to him as soon as I have had my hosipital appointment, but I dont want to do anything that may have an adverse impact on their treatment. So, the point finally, has anyone had this? Has anything helped? I have read that magnesium supplementation can help...any thoughts are most welcome.

Would you benefit from a boxers mouth guard? It doesn't solve your problem but in the mean time it might protect your teeth? I suppose you could also choke on it so maybe not? maybe they make special anti-choke ones? maybe i should be quite.

You can get pretty cheap (around $30) teeth guards for nighttime wear at a drugstore... you mold them yourself using hot water. It might not fix the root of your problem but it will keep you from damaging your teeth in the meantime, like NotaDrNick said.

Thanks for the replies, I neglected to mention that I already have a gaurd. I have just orderd a slightly different style of one from an america site, am in uk, so we shall see how I get along with that. But as noted above, I am interested in treating the root of the issue rather than the symptons. Grrr Gummmy Grrrr.

BOY do I have the REMEDY for you....I have BRUXISM and I LOVE Ionic Magnesium. It cut down on the involuntary muscle tension big time. I was waking up my boyfriend at night and waking up with sore jaw muscles in the moning. I sleep great now. PLEASE get this stuff. I get the powder and it's lemon aid flavored. Make sure it is IONIC MAGNESIUM....not other types. Ionic is most absorbable. BY the way drink it before bedtime. Please let me know if you get it and try it....I want to know what you think.

Oh also...forget the night guard it sucks...I have been down that avenue.

I use a night guard and love it, and this is from the girl who ground out three fillings. :D

I took Solumag for a bit and it wasn't very effective for me. This could however be because of other medications I was taking at the same time. It had this horrific "lemon" flavor that wouldn't have been so bad if it didn't fizz. It was a lovely experience all around.

i was going to say the same things as well.. magnesium to reduce involuntary muscle contractions and a mouthguard to reduce the friction. but it can be tricky to treat because its such an unconcious reaction.

i used to get it pretty bad when i was younger from stress but now the only bruxism i get is as a side effect of taking ecstasy.. but treating that one is as easy as some chewing gum or a chupa chup ;)

Ive heard stuff about the magnesium...Im going to order some. Was taking a mag/calcium/zinc mix for a while, and did nothing. Anyone know the biological breakdown of magnesium, is it water soluable? Harmfull in build up?

I f**king hate the mouth gaurd, have just orderd a new one to. This one takes the pressure away from the front teeth, and that is wear the damage is happening most. I have started a parasite cleanse today, suspicious of its benefits however I am willing to try anything.

As soon as I have been to the dental hospital I am going to get my jaw aligned properly by my chiro. If all else fails, I am going to get my teeth capped (which I am going to get done anyway, but want the condition undercontrol first really).

Thanks for the support people.

I am also considering hynothearpy...

regarding your jaws or malocclusion, you might also want to consult an orthodontist, neuromuscular dentist, or one specializing in TMJ (temporomandibular joint). i have TMJ syndrome. my lower jaw isnt in proper position and clicks when i open wide (and close) my mouth. because of the high costs of getting surgery, my ortho made me wear a special kind of braces instead, the one with tiny hooks, to fix my bite (not the jaw, though) just to make me look more normal.

i do hope yours isnt that bad.

My malocclusion isnt that bad I dont think, but it is there, a slight left on the lower jaw. I think this combined with an overbite is what initiated the bruxism. My subconcious is trying to level out the teeth, and my issues with anxiety have powered it on.

I assume the dental hospital shall be the gatekeeper for the orthodontic, tmj etc speacilists. I am not really sure what they are going to do, my dentist was a bit caging about it...but he may just be covering up for not knowing.

I think a holistic approach, taking into account the need to realign the teeth and the jaw, with rebuilding the teeth that have been worn is the way forward. All along with the diet/lifestyle stuff.

Thanks for all your responses guys, I have never met anyone else with this.

If any of you consider that you may be at risk, I suggest taking affirmative action as soon as you can. The thought of having false teeth by the time Im 30 is just not an option, but without treatment could have been a reality.

i was going to say the same things as well.. magnesium to reduce involuntary muscle contractions and a mouthguard to reduce the friction. but it can be tricky to treat because its such an unconcious reaction.

i used to get it pretty bad when i was younger from stress but now the only bruxism i get is as a side effect of taking ecstasy.. but treating that one is as easy as some chewing gum or a chupa chup ;)

I think ecstasy could have been the initial cause of this for me.

I had a pill habit about 5 years ago, never noticed any impact on my teeth. My skin was however the worst it ever was. I think it could have been part of it, however only as part of the initial trigger.

More than anything I think it was the physical aspect of my teeth not lining up properly, with anxeity pushing it along.

Now its full on clamping everytime I sleep. I couldnt even eat my dinner properly today because it hurt so much. I am actually scared that the damage is going to become so severe, that I have the teeth removed so as to have implant and bridge work.