Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
attax

Accutane and Insomnia

Has anybody else had difficulty sleeping whilst on accutane? I can never go to sleep unless im literally dead on my feet. I used to sleep more than anyone, like 12hrs+ a night lol (obv not when i had school :P) but now its a real pain to get to sleep. i also read many times that during your sleep is when your skin "heals" itself so to speak, thus making the whole non sleeping thing even worse.

the only time i can be guaranteed to get to sleep when i want is if i have a joint sometime in the night, that usually makes me sleepy and helps me forget about my skin. but yeah, i cant be smoking weed every night - just aint healthy or normal.

has anyone else experienced this whilst on accutane, or do you think it could be completely unrelated?

Ja-Hyun Baik et. al. Altered GABAergic neurotransmission in mice lacking dopamine D2 receptors. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2004 Apr;25(4):732-41.

Laboratory of Electrophysiology, Medical Research Center, College of Medicine, Yonsei University, Seoul 120-752, South Korea.

The levels of glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD) were strongly increased in the cortex and the striatum in dopamine D2 receptors null (D2R-/-) mice, which show a significant locomotor impairment. In this study, the effects of different GABAergic drugs on locomotor activity were analyzed in D2R-/- mice. After administering muscimol (1 mg/kg), a GABA(A) receptor agonist, the D2R-/- mice showed increased locomotor activity up to 200%. When the muscimol dose was increased (4-6 mg/kg), the D2R-/- mice exhibited seizure-like behavior, and the electroencephalographic (EEG) recordings during these behaviors showed a high amplitude rhythmic epileptiform activity in these mice. In situ hybridization showed that after injecting muscimol in the D2R-/- mice, the expression of enkephalin and immediate early gene, NGFI-A, was closely regulated with the locomotor activity regulated by GABAergic stimulation. These results suggest that the absence of D2R alters the GABAergic neurotransmission, specifically on GABA(A)-receptor mediated signaling, and stimulating the GABA(A) receptor can reverse the dysfunction of GABAergic inhibition in the motor circuits in the basal ganglia.

[PMID: 15080900]

####

Chambon et. al. Retinoic acid signaling affects cortical synchrony during sleep. Science. 2005 Oct 7;310(5745):111-3.

Center for Integrative Genomics, University of Lausanne, Genopode, 1015 Lausanne-Dorigny, Switzerland.

Delta oscillations, characteristic of the electroencephalogram (EEG) of slow wave sleep, estimate sleep depth and need and are thought to be closely linked to the recovery function of sleep. The cellular mechanisms underlying the generation of delta waves at the cortical and thalamic levels are well documented, but the molecular regulatory mechanisms remain elusive. Here we demonstrate in the mouse that the gene encoding the retinoic acid receptor beta determines the contribution of delta oscillations to the sleep EEG. Thus, retinoic acid signaling, which is involved in the patterning of the brain and dopaminergic pathways, regulates cortical synchrony in the adult.

[PMID: 16210540]

Hi there,

I expereinced the exact same thing last night for the first time.

Up until then i slept like a log,like you, could sleep for hours.

Only been on roaccutane for 2 months, now on my strongest dose so could be that.

Well if the acne goes but we have to put up with saddle bags under our eyes for a while who cares, hey.

I must admit i was a bit worried, kept tossing and turning.My heart also felt it was beating fast but i dont know if thats because i was so worried.

Will see how things goes tonight.

Hope you sleep ok soon

yes i have- it works wonderfully, but i cant fall asleep. i had it for a while, then it turned into some nocturnal type thing, then i was fine, but now its back again. could it be connected with menstrual cycle? anyway, its very frustrating because for a while now, ive only been sleeping 3 hours a night--day actually from 8-11am

I have been waking up during the middle of the night for a good hour, just waiting to fall back to sleep. this may be an effect for me as this hasnt happened to me much before starting tane

Same here, Im 2 months into an 80MG course and for the past 7 nights in a row I've stayed up all night from 12:00am to 6:00am, and I'm finding it very hard to wake up in the mornings, I go to sleep at normal times, even when I don't feel sleepy and I end up still sleeping in till 2 or 3 in the afternoon.

I also get these stinging/ itch bug bite like stings up my hands and arms whenever I get excited, only started since taking tane, never had them before.

Accutane definately affects my sleeping pattern, its never been great and even before I started accutane my sleeping pattern was a bit messed up (due to an evening job) but with accutane I find it extremely hard to wake up unless iv had exactly 10 hours of sleep, also on random nights I'll just not be able to sleep even if im exahusted.

I totally know how you guys feel :-(. I have had problems with my skin since I was 16 and I am now 23, I have always been diagnosed with acne, but come to find out at age 23, I have roasacea fulminans (very rare). My face is FINALLY clearing up, I feel like accutane is my miracle cure, but unfortunately the side effects have been brutal! I cannot sleep. At all! I don't even fall asleep until 3 or 4 in the morning, it's awful. I also have been getting nose bleeds, and I have the itchy hands situation going on. Does anyone else experience these side effects?

Ive been having trouble sleeping as well...

Not sure if its due to the fact ive quit smoking pot once I started tane and the withdrawls have kicked in, or it is do to tane, or a combo of both! It seems like all the side effects ive been dealing with are so difficult to analyze and see if they were indeed caused by tane, because prior to starting I experienced a few different things that are side effects while on tane...

Who knows though, no big deal as long as the end result is a good one!

Same here. I find that when I take it in the evening, that's when I'm affected most. In fact right now is 6.30 in the morning! LOL

It's better if you take it early morning.

Yep, I've only been on Accutane for one week at 20 mg/day and the insomnia is making me crazy. Luckily, I am a teacher and I can sleep when I want for the next two months (for the most part) because it will be summer break. But once school starts again, I don't know what I'm going to do. I wonder if the doctor will prescribe something to help me sleep?

It started with being able to fall asleep but waking up a few hours in and not being able to get BACK to sleep. But now I'm just not able to fall asleep at all. I have four days of school left, so I'm going to suck it up, and then the summer should be easier. Hopefully by September, the doctor will have been able to help me with this issue.

As I type this, it is 4am. :/

Oh, and the night sweats are a whole other story. I hope I can make it through until my six month course is over. I'm worried about the higher dosages.

Edited by alice_ann

I took Accutane in 1992 and again in 1994. I am now 36 years old. It immediately gave me irritable bowel syndrome and gradually caused terrible hormonal problems. I was in peri-menopause before I was 30 and had almost no estrogen, testosterone or progesterone. I have experienced insomnia, body pain, chapped lips, dry hair and nail beds for the last 15 years. I have to take bioidentical hormones daily so that I am not as dry as the desert.

Be very careful taking this drug. I later found out it was initially used as a cancer treatment. Chemo often puts women into menopause. I am living proof that it is not worth it. If you want to heal your acne, try to get a second opinion from a good integrated physician and work to clean up your diet. I wish I had made that choice.

Understand the mechanism for Accutane

http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/accutane/T9QJ8DO1TLI41VBPN

There is a reason why you are seeing more and more Accutane litigation commercials on TV. It is a very dangerous drug.

I wish you the very best.

Yep, I've only been on Accutane for one week at 20 mg/day and the insomnia is making me crazy. Luckily, I am a teacher and I can sleep when I want for the next two months (for the most part) because it will be summer break. But once school starts again, I don't know what I'm going to do. I wonder if the doctor will prescribe something to help me sleep?

It started with being able to fall asleep but waking up a few hours in and not being able to get BACK to sleep. But now I'm just not able to fall asleep at all. I have four days of school left, so I'm going to suck it up, and then the summer should be easier. Hopefully by September, the doctor will have been able to help me with this issue.

As I type this, it is 4am. :/

Oh, and the night sweats are a whole other story. I hope I can make it through until my six month course is over. I'm worried about the higher dosages.

When I was on accutane it actually made me sleep much easier because it made me so drowsy.

I took Accutane back in 2000, and it messed up my sleeping pretty bad (just one of the many side effects I got). It is still an issue today.

since starting accutane 18 days ago, i have had 2 nights where i had trouble falling asleep after waking up in the night. I would just toss and turn and couldnt fall asleep, its weird because that rarely ever happens to me.

hi there,

I have read all the above posts and have some questions please.

I only started taking Isotane 2 days ago and so far my sleeping is the only thing it's affected but it's pretty severe - I haven't slept at all last 2 nites (and having 2 children this is something that I just can't have and tolerate well). My questions are:

1. first of all for people who had the same problem while on isotane (roacutane) - had this side affect stopped once you stopped the drug or did sleep problems continue even after the treatment has been discontinued?

2. and second question to do with the time of the consumption - I noticed that someone posted that isotane affected their sleep less if taken during the day as oppose to the evening (which is the time when I take it currently) - are there more people who can confirmthis in which case I will switch to the lunch time dose.?

Just trying to weight up if isotane is worth all the trouble while I can still get out of it as unaffected as possible - I never had trouble sleeping and the thought of this messimg up my sleeping permanently is scary! Thank you all for your comments, they are much appreciated :o)

Hard to say if it will mess up your sleep permanently. You only been on the drug for 2days and you haven't even hit really side effects yet. You could try taking in the afternoon like lunch time.

As you can see the above posts some it has still continued, good luck

I remember the first couple weeks when I started accutane I could sleep fine but I always woke up like 3 hours earlier than usual then couldn't go back to sleep again, but since then I can acually sleep better than before taking it

Plus your bumping a thread from 2006, I don't they will answer, must of died from no sleep :D

Hard to say if it will mess up your sleep permanently. You only been on the drug for 2days and you haven't even hit really side effects yet. You could try taking in the afternoon like lunch time.

As you can see the above posts some it has still continued, good luck

Edited by jacobden

Melatonin. It's a vitamin that promotes sleep. You take it 30 mins before you want to go to sleep. It works wonders. That's what I'm using now on Accutane because I, also, cannot sleep.

Bump.

Been on accutane for about 24 days now, 20mg

I've had anxiety issues and insomnia history for sometime,

however, have been experiencing increased heart rate and frustration/depression now during sleep.

Is this because of accutane or just my anxiety acting up.

PS: did not know i was on accutane until recently as doctor did not tell me i was on accutane, so it was not due to paranoia

btw is it unethical that the doctor did not inform you of the side-effects of accutane?

he told me i was taking vitamin a, which i guess technically was correct but he did not inform me of the side effects that may occur

no bloodtest or anything was needed, he just issued to me the pills and told me to take it

it's a pretty well established skin clinic as celebrities patronize it too,so i'm baffled as to the lack of information that was conveyed