Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
~TEPL0~

It's proven that food affects hormones. It's proven that hormones affect acne.

so why the hell do people dismiss the notion that foods cause acne?

It makes me mad.

It's like this: if you drink vodka, you will feel dizzy. If you're dizzy while driving and crash your car, obviously, it's because you drank the vodka.

It's like saying: you crashed your car, because you're dizzy, so here's some anti-dizzy medication. Drink all the vodka you want before driving. It won't cause you to crash your car.

It's so stupid!!

certain foods cause you to produce more testosterone. Bodybuilders know this!! More testosterone = more acne.

One thing is saying "you can't avoid acne, because you have to eat meat and some carbs, which will make your testosterone jump, so don't worry about diet"

another thing is saying "there's absolutely no link between food and acne"

Yeah, well it's not as simple as all that... If you ask a doctor whether acne and diet are correllated, they will say "Yes, but nobody's managed to prove exactly HOW." I have NEVER heard a medical professional claim that they are entirely unrelated. The public, however, misinterpret that it isn't "proven" to mean that it isn't true... but this particular relationship is pretty impossible to define... if you've noticed, some people on this forum cut certain things out and their acne improves... so why isn't that successful for everyone? Because we're all different... one cannot design an adequat clinical study to prove the connection because it's too damn complicated.

Blah blah blah... don't complain that people don't believe it until you can explain it...

this guy knows how: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=111509

so does the guy who did the milk study and found that cutting out dairy decreases acne.

No, it's damn more complicated than "milk causes acne" or "high GI causes acne"... Look, I'm as put off as you are by the nay-sayers who refuse to believe there's any connection... almost as put off as I am by people who think they've found "the cure" in one particular diet or another...

But the thing you have to realize is that even these people that HAVE done research haven't nailed it... there's SO much more to learn about the disease... I'm convinced that there is absolutely NO diet that will work for even a majority of people... There are simply SO many foods and SO many hormones we're talking about here... the thing is, it simply isn't understood, and will probably never be completely understood, just like every other human disease... Research is lovely but until it has PRACTICAL applications you're not going to get the majority of people to believe in it.

what shmelis said is very true, everyone is different

and it's proven from the fact i eat most of the stuff people say it causes them to break out (i.e. rice and grains), and drink 2 glasses of milk everyday but i haven't had a breakout since i started the regimen

so it cannot be generalised and said that certain foods WILL cause acne, BUT i am not saying that there is no link between diet and acne, but at this point in time, the link is not yet strong enough

so why the hell do people dismiss the notion that foods cause acne?

It makes me mad.

Why do you care what anyone thinks? BTW - it seems to me that some people who accept the acne / diet correlation don't necessarily think that acne is caused by diet, rather that it may worsen the disease and a change of diet may help manage it.

It's like this: if you drink vodka, you will feel dizzy. If you're dizzy while driving and crash your car, obviously, it's because you drank the vodka.

The car crash could have been caused by any number of things e.g. the condition of the car, the conditions of the road, other road users. Of course, the vodka did not help and, possibly, without it, there would have been no crash. However, it is only a contributing factor and not necessarily the cause.

I agree. We don't even know enough to say why acne happens. We can say "acne forms when pores become blocked", but then why? Was it hormonal? Too much sebum? Toxins in the blood? Food intolerance? Artificial sweetners? Water retention? Infection? The list goes on.....

To make it more complicated still, all of these things are individual. Whereas one person might have a breakout from eating milk, another person might be the same after bread or sugary food. Then there are just those people who eat crap all the time, but never get acne. (Cruel World!) LoL

The trick to beating acne is not to keep asking "what works for you?" but to ask yourself "what works for me?". At the end of the day you know your body best. If someone says diet and acne are totally unrelated, but you breakout every time you eat a certain food, just remember thats their opinion, and they're entitled to have that opinion just as you are to have yours.

Nuff ranting.....

LoL =D

*Leon*

I think that it is wrong and misleading that the first thing I read on many public acne sites is:

Myth: Acne is related to diet

That is a lie.It's not true. So why is it not changed? For the good of all people it should be changed. Everyone has the right to know it.

"Of course science is never a 100% reliable enterprise. But at this time, there is no evidence that chocolate, sugar, oil, milk, seafood, or any other food causes acne."

Both sugar and milk have been sceintifically proven to aggrevate acne. Why is it not changed?

If I would have been told about the acne diet thing earlier I could have skipped all my creams and my antibiotics. (And all the side effects :evil: )

More power to the people please! Im not saying that it works for everyone. However the information available should be something like:

"

Sientific studies have proven a correlation between diet and acne. Sugar, bread and starchy foods may cause or aggrevate acne in some individuals. Modern hunter gatherer societies show no signs of acne. Omega fatty acids.. blabla etc"

The trouble is how? I know sweetjade especially has come up with a possible link but I would really like to get it tested. You also can't bundle all hormones into one big pile. There are a bunch of hormones and not all affect acne. You have to decide what properties in what foods affect what hormones and then decide if the hormones affected are the ones that cause acne. You also have to figure out if you are eating anythign else that negates the effects of the other foods on hormones. There are a ton of thigns to think about. I agree in general but I still want to kniw a definite connection at the microlevel.

For instance free testosterone if more likely to cause you to break out than other forms because of what it converts to. The kicker is that bodybuilding actually helps use up that free testosterone.