Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Primaryham

Best effective way to treat a pustule?

Treating an active pustule  

62 members have voted

1. 1. From your expierience, what is the quickest, most effective way to treat a pustule?

• Leaving it alone
    • Carefully popping and applying some antibiotic afterwards
    • Apple Cider Vinegar
    • Icing
    • Warming with hot water with/without salt
    • Banzoyl Peroxide
    • Salicylic Acid
    • Tea Tree Oil
    • Emu Oil; Jojoba Oil; Bio Oil (Please Specify)
    • OTHER (Please Specify)

Which works the best for you?

(Woops: I meant bEnzoyl peroxide~)

This poll is great in showing how wrong most acne sufferer's think or were taught to treat their acne. The best answer is clearly doing nothing. Tied for the best answer is doing nothing except applying a lot of BP. Now if you are allergic to BP, then it is best to do nothing. I chose these answers in order for what the OP asked which was to avoid scarring. My answer is not the quickest or least irritating but will leave 0 scars. Popping it will almost always leave a mark for some time and scar for some skin types. Therefore, popping it is by far the worst thing you can do. Case closed.

:ninja:

i dunno what kinda skin u got but any things like pustules I get will leave a mark regardless of whether I touch it or not ... leaving it alone is really not a solution imo .. I pop it a little then dry it out with alot of neo and it usually comes to a head.

Which works the best for you?

(Woops: I meant bEnzoyl peroxide~)

This poll is great in showing how wrong most acne sufferer's think or were taught to treat their acne. The best answer is clearly doing nothing. Tied for the best answer is doing nothing except applying a lot of BP. Now if you are allergic to BP, then it is best to do nothing. I chose these answers in order for what the OP asked which was to avoid scarring. My answer is not the quickest or least irritating but will leave 0 scars. Popping it will almost always leave a mark for some time and scar for some skin types. Therefore, popping it is by far the worst thing you can do. Case closed.

:ninja:

its funny how u think ur skin is the same as every body elses. i pop and put neosporin...and i dont have a mark. case closed.

yeah my skin marks regardless of whether or not i pop, but obviously not all should be popped. it tends to dry up a lot faster if i pop it very carefully when it is ready. otherwise the pimple just sort of gets slightly smaller and becomes a hard little lump that is still dark. gross.

Carefully pop it when it's ready... If nothing comes out, change the position of your fingers when applying pressure... If nothing still comes out, stop applying pressure and leave it alone, or applying some ice and antibiotic cream, which will take down the redness and swelling and avoid the spread of bacteria.

omg the proactive mask is a miracle.i left it on 4 pustules for like 20 mins after bathing then washed it off.1 pustule sebum plug just dropped off, the 3 others dried up and shrunk drastically.thank god for the proactive mask

what is it exactly in neosporin that helps?? i didnt know that it had anything to fight acne. i mean i have tons at home. will it help paps too?? cause right now those are the types that i get, and lord jesus, they stay on my face for 2 weeks.

a pustule will grow back if only the pus area leaks/pops but the sebum plug is not removed.The proactive sulphur mask is really good as it dries the pus on the surface up and brings the sebum plug closer to the surface, after a few times the whole thing(dried up pus on top with a sebum plug at the bottom) should just detach itself completely.i think this is the BEST way coming from someone who gets NOTHING BUT pustules

Ugh I have the most massive pustule forming underneath my mouth on my chin sort of thing.

It hurts too when I smile big... It doesn't have a head yet but I can see the faint outline of it on its bump and I can even feel the lump inside my mouth with my tongue (does that make sense? coz its on the other side...) Anyways its going to be massive.

I've been treating it with tea tree oil which seems to be helping it from totally coming up. I can't have its head come up on Christmas! Argh so embarassing...

Anyone have any advice from stopping it coming up quickly and try flattening it? What will benzoyl peroxide do? Should I put ice on it? How about a hot cloth to compress it?

AHH HELP!

Ugh I have the most massive pustule forming underneath my mouth on my chin sort of thing.

It hurts too when I smile big... It doesn't have a head yet but I can see the faint outline of it on its bump and I can even feel the lump inside my mouth with my tongue (does that make sense? coz its on the other side...) Anyways its going to be massive.

I've been treating it with tea tree oil which seems to be helping it from totally coming up. I can't have its head come up on Christmas! Argh so embarassing...

Anyone have any advice from stopping it coming up quickly and try flattening it? What will benzoyl peroxide do? Should I put ice on it? How about a hot cloth to compress it?

AHH HELP!

Heat usually increases blood flow which will make it grow. Ice should shrink it, somewhat. Don't pick or touch otherwise. Take motrin/ibuprofen for inflammation.

I voted the other option.

What I do is wait until the pus completely forms inside the pimple, once that happens I'll ice the pimple a few times throughout the day. Then, in the evening I take my shower, applying my cleanser in the shower and moisturizing afterwards. Finally, I spot treat with some diluted lemon juice and leave it on overnight and by morning a scab should have formed. If it doesn't, I cautiously pop the pimple and apply neosporin afterwards.