Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
positive

Not washing face while on accutane?..

It seems like if I wash my face more twice a day on accutane, even with cetaphil cleanser, it becomes very red and shiny (but dry). Is it OK to just rinse it with a little water while in the shower and not wash it except every couple days? My face is very burnt right now...

i know that it is a good idea to cleanse your face while on accutane and for me so far it has been helping but for you it seems to be irritating it. maybe it may be a good idea to cut back. all that washing may cause a lot of breakouts due to all the irritation. i would not go to long though cuz thats not good either.

also when you mentioned that your face is very burnt did you mean that it is burnt from the sun or are you experiencing a burnt feeling or complexion from washing?

Use a gentle cleanser. There a several ones meant for mature skin(make sure they dont have any retinol or exfoliate in them though), so they are very thick and moisterising. Simple range is good, as is Olay.

It probably wouldn't hurt to use a bit of soap. Ivory soap is the best, imho.

Ivory Soap???............. :shock:

That's got to be the worst thing to wash with, aside from say floor stripper or something. Ivory soap is very harsh. It's got some really strong detergency and not only removes excess sebum from skin, but also strips the skin's protective epidermal lipids..........since you are an Accutane expert.......you should already know that Accutane does effect the production of epidermal lipids as well as sebaceous lipids (hence the dry mucous membranes)..........it's not a great idea to be stripping them completely twice a day............

Oh and Ivroy soap has a really high pH....somewhere around 9.5-10.0 or so. The pH of the skin is acidic (4.2-5.6) and raising the skin's pH only facillitates further transepidermal water loss.......which seems to already be a problem fir those on Accutane......

To the original poster......it's fine to not wash your face if it's red and dry already. If you want to use a little water that's fine......you can use a gentle cleanser every other day if cleansing once a day is a problem..........

i know that it is a good idea to cleanse your face while on accutane and for me so far it has been helping but for you it seems to be irritating it. maybe it may be a good idea to cut back. all that washing may cause a lot of breakouts due to all the irritation. i would not go to long though cuz thats not good either.

also when you mentioned that your face is very burnt did you mean that it is burnt from the sun or are you experiencing a burnt feeling or complexion from washing?

Luckily it's not making me breakout, it just roughing up the texture, like rubbing my face with sandpaper. And it's latter burnt you mentioned, though it feels like sunburn. The skins shiny and a little sticky everywhere except for right near my eyes. If a put a towel to it it feels like its taking off little pieces of my face when I pull it back.

I am in the same situation I really don't want to wash my face with anything except cold water. I hate even using cetaphil gentle cleansing bar now even that sort of irritates my face. I guess I'll cleanse every 2 or 3 days. But I'll stick to the good old fashion cold water.

Ivory soap is not that caustic when it is moderately diluted in water. If it is dries out your skin, then you are using too much of a lather.

in my opinion its best to leave your skin the way it is when youre on accutane ,no need to use any cleansers-it will over dry your face while your on accutane its not necc in my opinion.Just wash your face with water once or twice only if you feel its necc otherwise just leave it the way it is- just use moistuzers.

UAveeno has come out with a new line of products called "Ultra Calming."

"ULTRA-CALMING FOAMING CLEANSER

With naturally calming feverfew, a natural ingredient related to chamomile, this light foaming cleanser helps visibly reduce redness and calm dry, irritated or sensitive skin while gently cleansing. It lifts away dirt, oil, and make-up without over-drying or aggravating even very sensitive skin. This cleanser is gentle enough to use every day.

Additional Product Benefits Include: fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, noncomedogenic, soap-free"

They also have moisturizers in this line.

It seems like if I wash my face more twice a day on accutane, even with cetaphil cleanser, it becomes very red and shiny (but dry). Is it OK to just rinse it with a little water while in the shower and not wash it except every couple days? My face is very burnt right now...

I would say wash your face only once a day (at bedtime)...twice might be just too much, especially while on Accutane. Cetaphil is a good choice as far as cleansers go. Don't forget to lightly moisturize after you've padded your face clean.

I agree, wash your face as least as possible and use a very gentle cleanser. Please moisturize.

I used to wash it only once a day b/c my face was very irritated.

I still avoid washing my face and I finished my course 6 months ago. I just think it irritates the skin too much.

the same thing happened to me. try only washing your face at bedtime with cold water and not even touching it the rest of the day. it's helping for me.

if you put moisturiser on your face after you wash your face..it should be alrite. Use mild cleanser like cetaphil though

I've been showering twice a day, morning and night.

I wash quickly and softly with QV ego wash (moisturisn sorta soap wash), and rinse it off. when i get out of the shower, pat my face dry. and so on.

I only moisturise my skin if its really dry, if i do moisturise i use Cetaphil or Redwins Vitamin E & Evening Primrose Oil cream (in my opinon GREAT, hides redness and works a treat). My nose is the only really dry thing everytime, i use the redwin cream on that (the cetaphil makes it look red n crap).

and thats all, it works great for me. skin is looking goood.

So wash with QV Ego wash, Moisturise with Redwins Vit E & Primrose oil cream (or cetaphil, try both and see what you like).

Hope that helps.