Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sorry, this is most likey considered off topic (so forgive me, as I don't know anywhere else to post it), but as someone living overseas I just wanted to know (from your personal opinion) which high schools in the US are the snobbiest/superficial - given most of you are from the States.

My friend and I were watching a heap of movies today, and discovered (seemingly, according to the films anyway) that alot of taunting/bullying happens over there lol. We've rarely, if ever, noticed anything like that here. Actually, I guess this thread is appropriate, given I've read so many topics here regarding bad experiences at school for having acne, etc.

Is it simply a facade? I know bullying happens EVERYWHERE, but it just *appears* so much more prominent in the US. Correct me if I'm worng (and I apologise if I am lol). It's probably just a stereotype.

So random, probably stupid, but i'm just intrigued :D

Thanks!

My school for a fact, does immense amounts of bullying. Not even limiting the school, my whole district.

I go to a majority based latino school, and asians are the minorites. We're always the ones to be picked on. Shoved out of the way, made a mockery of due to our eyes. It's sad, really. Heh.

I'd like to go to your school. B)

Guest ThereIsHope

No, not at my school. I attend a VERY small private christian school, and now that I think about it, I've never even heard anybody at my school say the word "damn". :D

I wanna get this off of my chest and is related to my experiences of bullying in America

It depends. When I moved to the USA, I went to a middle school full of bullying. The second day at school, I was attacked physically by a strong guy I didn't even know. Afterwards, I was bullied a lot and got into a few fights (self-defense) that led me to start taking taekwondo. I remember times where a gang of 5+ blocked a hall and waited for me so that they could beat me up (luckily I avoided that). I was a pushover in the past, and I've been a victim of bullying all the time.

Highschool 9th grade: I already learned a bit better how to control my anger and how to respect myself, but was probably the worst year. The beginning was tough as I stood up to myself twice (two classes) and the bullies attacked me and I almost got suspended twice if the teachers weren't understanding of my situation. In the locker room of Physical Education, it was total hell! There was a stupid kid that always dropped my pants and ran super fast, there was a moment where a stranger and another guy wanted to corner me and his face looked like he wanted to violate me (taekwondo came in handy and nothing happened). Lastly, I was almost beaten up by a stranger who was 100+ kg full of muscle in the locker room though a bunch of guys helped me stop the madmam.

Highschool 10th: no bullying

Higschool 11th-12th: I learned how to respect myself and avoid bullying. There was a classmate who was jealous of me and sudently tried to bully me telling lies about me to others and other stuff. He was difficult to handle as I even had to resort to threats or even a blow or two and once successfully made the bully look like a coward and a pathetic man. Next year, he befriends my group of friends and after an extremely embarrasing moment where he touched my butt in public (I threw him to the ground with a blow) and everyone laughed and mocked me, they all turned into bully-stalkers which made me so unsafe that I had to report them to the assistant principal.

Late 12th grade and College: No bullying at all.

If you want to avoid being bullied, choose as many honors and AP classes as possible or go to a magnet school (public schools for smarter kids)

Guest ThereIsHope

The most "bullying" that goes on at my school is making fun of the kids whose glasses are even nerdier than yours, or arguments over who knows the most secret codes for the unlockable weapons in Dragon Quest IIV. :D

Guest ThereIsHope
what the hell is IIV ?? is it fancy roman numerals for 3 or am I missing something??

whoops! Did the roman numerals wrong!

It should be "VII". And thats the number 7 in roman numerals.

my school is an extremely superficial school, all the popular kids are the best looking, except for the few cool people who got out of that group and just decided it wasnt for them. the interesting thing is, all the superficial popular kids talk bad about each other behind each others backs, and are just really rude to one another. im glad to not be a part of that group.

bullying happens a lot, and yes, a lot of times it is because of looks. However, if you just try to ignore them, and never engage those kids in conversation, youre fine. they havent bothered me because i just pretend they are not there.

and no one at our school makes fun of us gamers, because there are too many of us. Wed own those noobs.

i go to a skool in the hood, so we crack on everybody, lots of fights, bout 5-6 fights a day, sometimes shootings, im like da only white kid, so its feels odd at times

no bullying what so ever when i was in high school... thier is no 1 popular boy or girl everyone has thier own social groups. if you want to call it bullying some people got made fun off a lot but in my senior year of High school thier was only 2 fights the entire year.

where i live, bullying is normal and people who are different such as (how they dress, how their face looks, etc) do get harrassed directly or indirectly.

I've been out of high school for four years, and I never experienced anything negative directed toward myself. I'm a pretty nice guy and hey its hard to be a dick to nice guys right? My school had all sorts of people from all economic backgrounds and races. There was this kid on the bus in 8th or 9th grade that harassed me for some reason I can't remember. Once I started throwing punches at him I never heard anything back lol.

I went to a DoDDs school overseas in Germany for 2 years, and that school was so awesome. Lots of people there had acne, and there weren't any drugs or smoking. There was drinking, but that was very rare. People were bullied because of how bad they were at sports, but not because of their acne. I think the main reason lots of people had acne was because of the German water system, which had more calcium sulfate in their water than the US usually put in theres. The school only had 170 kids, and majority of the kids knew me and I knew them.

Now, I go to a public magnet school with over 2500 kids, and you can only imagine how much I wish this school was less populated with flawless people... Schools here are usualyl populated and do have smokign and drugs, but you'll be fine if you avoid those crowds.

My school for a fact, does immense amounts of bullying. Not even limiting the school, my whole district.

I go to a majority based latino school, and asians are the minorites. We're always the ones to be picked on. Shoved out of the way, made a mockery of due to our eyes. It's sad, really. Heh.

Latino eh? Where are you from in the states? Are these illegal latinos or citizen ones, because I have heard of all the problems they are causing in the schools in California.

When I watch those kinda films it makes me thankful of being English.

What, you have never seen Greenstreet Hooligans? :)

Sorry, this is most likey considered off topic (so forgive me, as I don't know anywhere else to post it), but as someone living overseas I just wanted to know (from your personal opinion) which high schools in the US are the snobbiest/superficial - given most of you are from the States.

My friend and I were watching a heap of movies today, and discovered (seemingly, according to the films anyway) that alot of taunting/bullying happens over there lol. We've rarely, if ever, noticed anything like that here. Actually, I guess this thread is appropriate, given I've read so many topics here regarding bad experiences at school for having acne, etc.

Is it simply a facade? I know bullying happens EVERYWHERE, but it just *appears* so much more prominent in the US. Correct me if I'm worng (and I apologise if I am lol). It's probably just a stereotype.

So random, probably stupid, but i'm just intrigued :D

Thanks!

What country are you yourself from?

I have spent alot of time in the United States, and it is rough there at times. Drinking is a much bigger thing there since the law is you must be 21 or older to drink any alcohol..

Where I'm from, being smart is socially acceptable. The kids who get D's and F's are the 'losers'. But there are exceptions if you pretty. My old school was more 'gansta' than this one, people dressing like sluts and thinking their all cool. But there's never any bullying at either of them. Besides the extreme gossip (all the popular girls secretly hate each other). At my old school there were the rich kids and the poor kids. The rich kids were usually smart and not popular, and the poor kids were the F students who were destined to get pregnant early and do drugs (meth and crack are big issues there), but they were popular.

Thanks for the replies. I thought this whole topic would fizzle :cool:

I'm from Australia. Admittedly, being Filipino/Australian (Mum being from the Philippines) I did get ONE racial taunt as a kid (year 4 in fact) but fortunately nothing for the remainder of my education. Funny, since apart from my dark hair and eyes, I don't look Asian at all. I guess that first experience was due to my family living in a rural town when I was younger, where the majority of people (as we in Aus have dubbed them) are "bogans" The town we live in wasn't very multicultural at all lol.

I was quite nerdy/scrawny as a kid, and I remember commencing high school (yrs 7 - 10 here depending on some states) fearing I'd get my head flushed down the toilet! Again, thanks to Television. Of course, it didn't happen lol. Yes, there were some fights and such, but usually between the "bogans." * I don't know, I guess the best way to describe them are the equivalent to your "Rednecks" if that's appropriate (I apologise if I've offended anyone). I really don't like to negative stereotype people.

Hey, here we go lol: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogan

(I love Wikipedia)

I'm now at University, where virtually no bullying/taunting exists whatsoever. Admittedly, I've only lived in one state, so I can't really compare whether others in this country are in fact "superficial" as I enquired earlier. My friend, however, grew up elsewhere, and she doesn't recall of any taunting (though admittedly she's not exactly unpopular/unnattractive, and went to a Private school for most of her education).

Again, thanks for the responses. Great read :)

I can relate, I attend a school in which you can easily see 16 years old kids ( ok ok I'm 17! =P ) driving BMW's, and some ppl are superficial, but my friends aren't, and neither am I

I live in Mexico BTW

I'm pretty sick of this crap about the US is full of evil high schoolers, etc. Having gone to school in six countries in even fewer years, I feel that I'm pretty damn qualified to give my opinion on this. (Yes, I have a complicated family, don't even try to understand it. Also, I have moved to the US recently and don't really consider myself American.)

Teenagers are teenagers no matter what nationality, and all teenagers are people. There are evil ones and nice ones and everything in between. In the US, there seems to be a pull for the underdog, and that's why you find movies that depict kids that have been bullied and risen above it. I haven't seen that as strongly in other countries. I also haven't seen any school filled with smiley nice people OR devil-worshipping cliques of the dreaded "popular" girls.

Also, the US makes a huge portion of television shows and movies. Of course it'll show US students, and of course it will try and demonize at least one stereotype, usually the oh-so-cruel popular group. I've never been one of the most popular kids, but I've never been stuffed in a trash can either. In my experience, that just doesn't happen... anywhere. There are mean people on every continent, but I have never witnessed an entire group of friends that spit gum in people's hair or staple them to walls and whatnot. Movies are for entertainment, not to depict real life.

I'd like you to come to my school...