Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kazsper

Give me tips on my Regimen.

I've been on it for 20 days now.

Neutrogena Oil-free Acne wash

5% BP

Cetaphil Moisturizer

I don't expect to see dramatic results being on it this long. But I'm curious to the Neutrogena On the spot stuff, seems like alot of poeple use it. Thing is im VERY use to BP so going down a few percent would slow the rate of witch my skin clears up, wont it?

no, it has been proven 2.5% works just as well, in some cases even better. It still gives you the BP treatment, and its less irritating to the skin, causing less acne.

i personally would order dans gel and not Neutrogena OTS, because Dans BP gel works a lot better, its a lot easier and the best part is, it saves you A LOT of money. With Neutrogena on the spot, just the little tiny container is seven bucks, and youd have to replace it almost every week.

I've been on it for 20 days now.

Neutrogena Oil-free Acne wash

5% BP

Cetaphil Moisturizer

I don't expect to see dramatic results being on it this long. But I'm curious to the Neutrogena On the spot stuff, seems like alot of poeple use it. Thing is im VERY use to BP so going down a few percent would slow the rate of witch my skin clears up, wont it?

Use 2.5% bp and DO NOT USE A MEDICATED ACNE WASH. You are mixing medicationg and that can make things worse.

The biggest tip i can give READ THE REGIMEN WORD FOR WORD AND ONLY USE THE RECOMMEND PRODUCTS, dont improvise youur own stuff.

no, it has been proven 2.5% works just as well, in some cases even better. It still gives you the BP treatment, and its less irritating to the skin, causing less acne.

i personally would order dans gel and not Neutrogena OTS, because Dans BP gel works a lot better, its a lot easier and the best part is, it saves you A LOT of money. With Neutrogena on the spot, just the little tiny container is seven bucks, and youd have to replace it almost every week.

Do you know which studies showed the superior effects of 2.5%, compared to the higher % BP? I see this info stated a lot on the messageboard and I was just wondering where the info came from?

I've only been able to find one study that compared 2.5%, 5%, and 10%. It was a compilation of several small clinical trials. What they found was that all three BP formulations were equally effective at reducing and preventing acne lesions (although, it didn't say whether the higher % BPs cleared people faster than the 2.5%). The study also found that both 2.5% and 5% were the samein terms of irritation/drying, etc. - and that only the 10% caused more irritation than the other two. This is the only study I have been able to find, and the only one I have ever seen cited in other studies or on acne websites (and the study is 20 yrs old) Just wondering if there is any other information out there that I missed seeing? Any more recent studies? Or anything else that really shows that 2.5% is actually superior to the other two?

Do you know which studies showed the superior effects of 2.5%, compared to the higher % BP? I see this info stated a lot on the messageboard and I was just wondering where the info came from?

I've only been able to find one study that compared 2.5%, 5%, and 10%. It was a compilation of several small clinical trials. What they found was that all three BP formulations were equally effective at reducing and preventing acne lesions (although, it didn't say whether the higher % BPs cleared people faster than the 2.5%). The study also found that both 2.5% and 5% were the samein terms of irritation/drying, etc. - and that only the 10% caused more irritation than the other two. This is the only study I have been able to find, and the only one I have ever seen cited in other studies or on acne websites (and the study is 20 yrs old) Just wondering if there is any other information out there that I missed seeing? Any more recent studies? Or anything else that really shows that 2.5% is actually superior to the other two?

10% irritates the skin to much. It does work well but what the studies are stating is over a long period of time the 2.5% has better results because it is less irritating.

10% irritates the skin to much. It does work well but what the studies are stating is over a long period of time the 2.5% has better results because it is less irritating.

Yeah - but as far as I can tell, only ONE study (done in 1986) has found that 10% was more irritating that 2.5%. And this same study found that 5% was notmore irritating than 2.5% - a lot of people here state that the 2.5% was found to be less irritating than the 5%, which isn't what the study found. And my main question is where are all these studies that people refer to? Is it something people have read on their own, or are they just repeating what they have read here? If there are other studies, can someone post the link or at least the reference? I'd really be curious to see the actual data on this. Thanks!

Yeah - but as far as I can tell, only ONE study (done in 1986) has found that 10% was more irritating that 2.5%. And this same study found that 5% was notmore irritating than 2.5% - a lot of people here state that the 2.5% was found to be less irritating than the 5%, which isn't what the study found. And my main question is where are all these studies that people refer to? Is it something people have read on their own, or are they just repeating what they have read here? If there are other studies, can someone post the link or at least the reference? I'd really be curious to see the actual data on this. Thanks!

Ive had acne for almost ten years, From the age 13 i have been experimenting with all sorts of meds.

I have been using bp for 6 years. For me its from a personal experience and it is also from studies u can read there isnt just the one. Its also from the peeps on here but 10% works for u go for it.

You want to read a study? Ask the people on the front line here. Can get any better experience than that.

Yeah, but I'm a researcher - I like to see data! I think that it is important to have info from personal experiences (like reading people's stories here), but also from a well controlled research study (as I would with any drug or treatment method). You mention that there are other studies - I think that would be great if there was other data - but I've not actually had anyone provide any links to these studies (I've done a pretty thorough search of the dermatology journals too). If you know of any, I'd very much like to read them.

As to my personal experiences - I got clear using 10% BP (started with 15 min application, then worked up to leaving it on overnight), then stepped down to 5% after getting clear. I got minimal irritation or peeling. I'm not saying 2.5% doesn't work - I'm just saying that before we accept that 2.5% is most people's best option for treating mild-moderate acne, that we should find out where this data comes from. Based on the results of the only study I could find, the 5% was not more drying or irritating that the 2.5%. Therefore, the 5% may work just as well for people if they are not able to find (or don't want to order) the 2.5%.

Here is the abstract from the only study I was able to find:

Int J Dermatol. 1986 Dec;25(10):664-7. Links

Comparing 2.5%, 5%, and 10% benzoyl peroxide on inflammatory acne vulgaris.

• Mills OH Jr,

• Kligman AM,

• Pochi P,

• Comite H.

A 2.5% formulation of benzoyl peroxide was compared with its vehicle, and with a 5% and a 10% proprietary benzoyl peroxide gel preparation in three double-blind studies involving 153 patients with mild to moderately severe acne vulgaris. The 2.5% benzoyl peroxide formulation was more effective than its vehicle and equivalent to the 5% and 10% concentrations in reducing the number of inflammatory lesions (papules and pustules). Desquamation, erythema, and symptoms of burning with the 2.5% gel were less frequent than with the 10% preparation but equivalent to the 5% gel. The 2.5% formulation also significantly reduced Propionibacterium acnes and the percentage of free fatty acids in the surface lipids after 2 weeks of topical application.

PMID: 2948929 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

a lot of people here are studies. look at dan. he struggled his whole life to find something that worked, and he discovered 2.5% worked the best. Its not a coincidence that Dans BP gel works so well for almost everyone trying the regimen.

you dont need to get into science or any of that. you just need to see what works for your skin and for you. and the fact is the regimen has worked for a whole lotta people here, including me.

a lot of people here are studies. look at dan. he struggled his whole life to find something that worked, and he discovered 2.5% worked the best. Its not a coincidence that Dans BP gel works so well for almost everyone trying the regimen.

you dont need to get into science or any of that. you just need to see what works for your skin and for you. and the fact is the regimen has worked for a whole lotta people here, including me.

i'm not discounting personal experiences, and I am glad to hear that 2.5% BP worked for you and for others here - I think personal success stories are important to know. But what makes BP so different from prescription meds (which most people wouldn't try if there wasn't scientific data demonstrating their effectiveness)? If you can figure out what drugs work, under what conditions, and who they work best for - you can design better treatments for people, with less guesswork or trial and error.

I know BP has been studied and demonstrated to be very effective in a number of studies - there just don't seem to be any studies that I can find (except the one I posted) that compare the different BP formulations, but people's posts keep referring to these "studies" that show the superiority of 2.5% BP - I am just asking these posters to direct me to the studies they are talking about? I'm not trying to be argumentative - as a professional researcher, I really am just interested in seeing what controlled, published research studies are out there.

Oh - and sorry Kazsper for highjacking your post!! I had good luck with 5% BP, but others might have different opinions on whether you should use this or the 2.5%. I would imagine they'd both be effective if your skin responds well to BP. I really don't know if decreasing the BP concentration will slow down the rate at which you clear up.

i think when people say studies, they dont neccessarilly mean "scientific" studies. Not every study has to be one of that sort. I think most of them just mean from what i have learned and experienced about harshness, and effectiveness, this is what i have come to believe.

i myself, can not find any actual documents online or anything.

i think when people say studies, they dont neccessarilly mean "scientific" studies. Not every study has to be one of that sort. I think most of them just mean from what i have learned and experienced about harshness, and effectiveness, this is what i have come to believe.

i myself, can not find any actual documents online or anything.

Thanks for the clarification! I think that helps me get a better idea of what people mean. I work as a research analyst in the field of juvenile delinquency, and we are big on "evidence-based practice"

(meaning = "give us data to show your program works or you aren't getting any grant funding!"). So, I tend to want to see data/evidence rather than just "trust me, it worked great for me!"

I found a review of acne treatment literature that was done in 2003 and the 1986 study is the only one they still reference on the topic. I've noticed as well that most studies on BP use 5% formulations (and this seems to be what derms often prescribe as well). I wonder if anyone here has tried both 5% and 2.5% and found differences in how their skin has responded?

hm.. Well I tried to use a five percent before but it was difficult to use it twice a day because it irriated my skin. It seems that if I use two point five percent it is normally less irriating and if you only use it once a day, since the bp only lasts twelve hours, it allows the bacteria to form again I think. I also have sensitive skin which might be some of the reason it bothered my skin though..