Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raph

are tanning beds bad for your skin

Actually last year my dad signed me up for this acne treatment. What did I have to do? Go to this office once a week and lie on the bed with this huge machine of light over my face for half an hour. Oh yah and they also told me to give up my benzoyl peroxide because its "too strong", these people had no idea what they were talking about and I'm not going back. Sure my skin looked better because it was getting kinda tan, but I dont think it effected my acne much.

Actually last year my dad signed me up for this acne treatment. What did I have to do? Go to this office once a week and lie on the bed with this huge machine of light over my face for half an hour. Oh yah and they also told me to give up my benzoyl peroxide because its "too strong", these people had no idea what they were talking about and I'm not going back. Sure my skin looked better because it was getting kinda tan, but I dont think it effected my acne much.

Well that sounds kinda wacky if you ask me. I do know their are specialy lamps;lights blue and red I think that are suppose to help acne.

When i go out in the sunshine and tan it lifts my mood and makes me feel much better about myself. I know the risks i'm taking, but frankly i don't care. I eat healthy and i don't drink or smoke, so why shouldn't i have a few guilty pleasures? And why should i even feel guilty? Taking care of yourself is fine, but making sure you feel good in the now is equally important. Schmelis et al, although you've weighed up the pros/cons and decided it's a bad idea, i think you've gotta respect other people's rights to do the same.

And as far as whether it worsens my acne, no it doesn't.

I agree with Snow-Queen here. It has been proven many times that over-exposure to the sun and tanning can increase the chances of damaging skin. Thank god for logical reason...

I agree with you, Smashing, in only that sunning/tanning does NOT automatically equal cancer, however everything else you have spit out sounds like typical sales lines you've been taught from your boss and believe to be the bible.

Personally, I'd rather trust years of research and medical professionals over an owner of a small tanning salon (whose income depends on saying it's good for you).

Take my opinion as you wish. It's just an opinion.

My mother, who is 48 years of age at this moment, told me that her biggest mistake in life was laying out in the sun while she was in her teens and 20's. My mother still looks young for her age, but she gets depressed about the sun spots and scars (from removing cancerous tissues) on her face and arms. I think she realizes just how young and flawless she could have looked if she had stayed out of the sun. I learnt from my mother's mistake, so I don't lay out in the sun or lay in tanning beds. Acne is a bitch, but it can't kill you...skin cancer can.

My mom has the same regret too, Amandakay. She's in her early fifties and has sun spots all over her arms. She's had to have the spots on her face lasered off multiple times, and both of my parents have already had skin cancer.

as bad as the real sun?

cause wrinkles and stuff?

i need to tan to hide red marks/acne...

Sun exposure slows down the skins healing process. Tanning beds are slightly better than natural sun but by no means are they okay. I might sound like a hypocrit since I am 23 and have/ had been tanning since I was 14. My experience with going tanning when I have red marks is that they then turn dark brown almost black and these take longer to get rid of. I personally just discovered that neosporin really helps to get rid of my red marks significantly. Hope this helps!

tanning can seriously make an average looking person really sexy,im not sure how it may effect the acne (but i dont think it can be good to anyone who has skin problems).I think it may make actually make your post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (red marks) darker,maybe you'll age a bit younger,though i don think that should be a big draw back from tanning.Just dont do it excess. A moistuizer like kinerase is brilliant to start from now on which will help you age slower and help with photo damage.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

I'd be forgiven for thinking i didn't post on the first page of the thread. :think: