Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raph

are tanning beds bad for your skin

as bad as the real sun?

cause wrinkles and stuff?

i need to tan to hide red marks/acne...

no they arent horrible .. just go into a high UVB because UVB makes you brinze it is the UVA thats burns you which essentially can give you cancer. Make sure you go into a tanning booth with a tannin moisturizer and after wards shower and moisturize .. that is the key. Tanning dries out your skin so as long as you keep it well moisturized the less premature aging and wrinkles you will have. Sun spots can occur but mostly everyone gets them I am sure your grandparents even your parents have them on their hands. Some people do get them on their face from tanning wayyyyy to much, for instance my boyfriends mother. She use to get so incredibly tan and now because of it she has quite a bit of sun spots on her face. Apple Cider Vinegar does help to lighten them but laser surgery would be more efficient for those.

The only reason I know alot about this is because I work at a tanning salon.

thats cool pumpkins.

so, they all only have the UVB? or you have to ask for one without UVA?

I went for 8 minutes and i feel a little burned already lol.

UVB beds have a much higher UVB with little UVA, so the more expensive beds/booth have higher UVB atleast that is how it works at my tanning salon.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

no they arent horrible .. just go into a high UVB because UVB makes you brinze it is the UVA thats burns you which essentially can give you cancer.

UVB rays are actually what causes the physical burn on the epidermis. UVA rays penetrate into the dermis and alter DNA. UVB rays still cause skin cancer.

Make sure you go into a tanning booth with a tannin moisturizer and after wards shower and moisturize .. that is the key. Tanning dries out your skin so as long as you keep it well moisturized the less premature aging and wrinkles you will have.

That's a fucking joke. The aging and wrinkles we see are a result of photo-damage and the breakdown of Collagen and Elastin. No Moisturiser is going to prevent that. SPF creams, yes. Retinols, yes. UV exposure of any kind, clearly not!

Sun spots can occur but mostly everyone gets them I am sure your grandparents even your parents have them on their hands. Some people do get them on their face from tanning wayyyyy to much, for instance my boyfriends mother. She use to get so incredibly tan and now because of it she has quite a bit of sun spots on her face. Apple Cider Vinegar does help to lighten them but laser surgery would be more efficient for those.

Photo-damage is cumulative. Excessive tanning will cause more damage than moderate tanning, all other things being equal, but you're still causing vast amounts of damage.

I think you're confusing knowledge with mis-information.

no tanning is ever gonna help acne or anything else

it does have an effect of evening out the skin tone, so lots of people have the false imression that it actually concealed or even healed acne

there are other ways to even out the skin tone (like GA or lactic acid AHA in general, puredeming IG etc... ), that are not harmful to your skin. on the contrary

so, my advice is not to use sunbeds, they can do more harm than good

the real sun is not good for your skin, but it is very good for some other parts of your body, so be sure you put on a high SPF

To the contrary I actually found that after going on a sunny holiday and getting sunburnt it cleared up any spots I did have and touch wood they have not come back since.

Some people it does wonders some it doesnt I guess.

-Rob

To the contrary I actually found that after going on a sunny holiday and getting sunburnt it cleared up any spots I did have and touch wood they have not come back since.

Some people it does wonders some it doesnt I guess.

-Rob

This is because you basically remove the outer layer of your skin when you get sunburnt. When you're causing your skin to peel like that you will have less acne because you can't have any abnormal keratinization and the same UV rays you exposed yourself to had an effect on the bacteria in your skin, in essence acting like an antibiotic.

Not many people deny that one sunburn or long period of time in the sun will help clear acne... but it will not KEEP it clear (you are an exception to the rule), and in fact if you keep repeating the process it will make acne WORSE.

I'd much rather cause my skin to exfoliate using a topical retinoid instead of burning it off.

Smashing, I'm surprised you didn't know the difference between UVA and UVB rays... He's right about everything he said, don't believe me then you should go actually look it up. Maybe you should take the information GTO gave you and educate the others at your salon, instead of perpetuating the myths.

can u put on regular SPF sunblock before going into the tanning bed? instead of the overpriced moisturizer. whenever i wear it outside i usually get a little tan w/o the sunburn.

can u put on regular SPF sunblock before going into the tanning bed? instead of the overpriced moisturizer. whenever i wear it outside i usually get a little tan w/o the sunburn.

Don't bother... a sunscreen will only mean you're wasting your money at the salon... If you want less risk of a sunburn stay in the bed for less time (or, don't go at all, there's a thought). Tanning is a stupid idea... you might look nice and healthy and tan now but if you keep doing it you'll age prematurely... have you ever seen a 40 year old woman who used to tan a lot? Take a nice look at their skin, particularly around their chest. It's pretty fricking disgusting... looks like leather. And as far as acne goes... it might clear you up if you go once but making it a habit will actually make you MORE prone to breakouts.

Don't bother... a sunscreen will only mean you're wasting your money at the salon... If you want less risk of a sunburn stay in the bed for less time (or, don't go at all, there's a thought). Tanning is a stupid idea... you might look nice and healthy and tan now but if you keep doing it you'll age prematurely... have you ever seen a 40 year old woman who used to tan a lot? Take a nice look at their skin, particularly around their chest. It's pretty fricking disgusting... looks like leather. And as far as acne goes... it might clear you up if you go once but making it a habit will actually make you MORE prone to breakouts.

You cannot make assumptions about everyones skin .. I see people well into their 50's who tan atleast everyday and not everyone who wlak in that dore has the premature aging and sun spots you claim. It is all about their skin. Not to mention you don't get skin cancer from moderate tanning or atleast it is rare. If someones skin is already made to handle the sun ex. black skin and some caucasions (hispanics, arabs and indians) then they are much less likely to get cancer but ofcourse it can still happen.

Yes, moisturizing is very important. Tanning dries out your skin so you would be dumb to not moisturize. Not moisturizing would make things much much worse. There is alot of bias info about tanning, you are not completely right and you can't go around telling people this WILL happen when no it won't! Just like not everyone who smokes cigarrettes will get cancer, it just doesn't happen.

It is your choice to tan, I believe everything in moderation is good for you. Don't believe everything you hear and if someone says THIS WILL HAPPEN def. don't listen because that is their own assumption.

Like i said walk into any tanning salon you see many people some with sun spots, age spots, clear skin, acne skin, no wrinkles, wrinkles. Most women who do go tanning are either in their 40's or in their early 20's and alot of those women in their 40's do not have what you call "sun spots."

It also does not make you MORE prone to acne. I have breakout and I go tanning and afterwards I dont suddenly break out or if i am brekaing out it becomes worse. The only time I break out from tanning si when I haven't tanned in like 7 or 8 months because of the winter and my skin isn't use to it.

Half an hour in a tanning bed is about as damaging as eight hours on the beach. And tanning will, in fact, worsen acne. It dries out skin and then triggers excess oil production, which is a recipe for a breakout. You'd be better of getting a good fake tan.

Half an hour in a tanning bed is about as damaging as eight hours on the beach. And tanning will, in fact, worsen acne. It dries out skin and then triggers excess oil production, which is a recipe for a breakout. You'd be better of getting a good fake tan.

Flawed post of the day:

Sentence 1: And you did this experiment when? Or you have calculated this to be true how? Which beach since the sun varies in intensity all over the world (Just compare Hawaii to California sun)? Conclusion: WRONG.

Sentence 2: Worsen acne? What is your definition of worsen? Did you just hear this from some magazine review advertising ProActiv or something? Conclusion: WRONG.

Sentence 3: Although it may dry out skin, who said it triggers oil production? Where is your reference for this "fact"? Conclusion: WRONG.

Sentence 4: Oh we don't want to get a regular tan that simulates the sun and provides less harmful radiation that triggers Vitamin D production. We want to spray ourselves with pore clogging sprays that simulate a tan that lasts for no longer than a week and leaves you looking more orange than a carrot. Conclusion: WRONG.

Anything in excess other than drinking water CAN BE BAD. But, saying tanning in general is terrible because of misinformation, your tanning problems, or seeing others get bad skin is wrong.

Case closed.

:ninja:

Flawed post of the day:

Sentence 1: And you did this experiment when? Or you have calculated this to be true how? Which beach since the sun varies in intensity all over the world (Just compare Hawaii to California sun)? Conclusion: WRONG.

Sentence 2: Worsen acne? What is your definition of worsen? Did you just hear this from some magazine review advertising ProActiv or something? Conclusion: WRONG.

Sentence 3: Although it may dry out skin, who said it triggers oil production? Where is your reference for this "fact"? Conclusion: WRONG.

Sentence 4: Oh we don't want to get a regular tan that simulates the sun and provides less harmful radiation that triggers Vitamin D production. We want to spray ourselves with pore clogging sprays that simulate a tan that lasts for no longer than a week and leaves you looking more orange than a carrot. Conclusion: WRONG.

Anything in excess other than drinking water CAN BE BAD. But, saying tanning in general is terrible because of misinformation, your tanning problems, or seeing others get bad skin is wrong.

Case closed.

:ninja:

Conclusion: WRONG.

Sigh, Drinking excess water can cause death and water intoxification and burden the kidneys and just cause plain old sickness and nausea.

Conclusion: WRONG.

Sigh, Drinking excess water can cause death and water intoxification and burden the kidneys and just cause plain old sickness and nausea.

"Sigh" is right...

Nothin wrong with a tan if u can actually get a real tan and not just turn red. Takes a looooooong time to age the skin from tanning. Also u will age your skin if u go in all the time for years but most people are smart enough to only go once in awhile to keep some color.

THe haters of tanning beds are usually the ones that cant tan lol.

First, I'm going to start off with explaining what a tan actually is: a defensive mechanism and danger sign of the body's that is made visible by an increased production of melanin. In order to get a tan, damage from UV rays needs to have taken place. By some estimates, a tan only provides an SPF of around 2, making the use of a good broad-spectrum SPF 15 or higher sunscreen a much better way to protect the skin from UV rays that doesn't require UV damage.

Now I'll explain why tanning is bad for acne (and your body):

Tanning prematurely kills skin cells, which increases the risk of clogged pores by littering the skin with more dead skin cells than it can slough off. In addition, it causes the skin to thicken; another defensive mechanism. This thickening of the skin also increases the risk of clogged pores by making it harder for dead skin to slough off in the first place.

Although UV rays do kill off some of the p. acnes bacteria in the skin, according to the Journal of Investigative Dermatology, they also damage the Langerhan cells in the epidermis that prevent bacteria from attacking the body's immune system as well as cell mutation from taking place.

In addition, Clinical Experimental Dermatology and Journal of American Academy of Dermatology state that the sun destroys collagen beneath the surface ofthe skin, thickens the skin's exterior (as previously mentioned), chokes off the skin's blood supply, and reduces the skin's elasticity.

In regards to skin cancer, it is generally believed that exposure to UVA and UVB radiation triggers mutations in replicating cells, which screws up their genetic coding. As a result, the cells forget how to maintain the skin's normal cell turnover process, which can lead to skin cancer (which is the most common kind of cancer, so don't think it won't happen to you).

Also, I want to destroy this myth that the occasional tan is OK. UV damage is cumulative, meaning that daily UV exposure, even if you don't get a tan, permanently damages the skin and that damage adds up on a day-to-day basis. According to the Journal of Photochemistry & Photobiology (and as quoted in the Electronic Textbook of Dermatology), "In experimental mice, gradual (e.g. non-erythrogenic) doses of ultraviolet can be more carcinogenic on a per joule basis than doses given more rapidly (e.g. erythrogenic)."

Here's some links all you tanning-enthusiasts should check out:

http://www.sunprotection.net/suntan.html

http://telemedicine.org/sundam/sundam2.4.1.html

Tanning may temporarily mask acne (by hiding the redness and destroying the p. acnes bacteria), but is it really worth all the harmful side effects? The only safe tan is the kind you can get out of a bottle.

And finally, there is absolutely nothing wrong with not being tan. Fair skin is just as gorgeous as any other skin color (think of it this way- "fair" is a synonym for "pretty!"); if you think otherwise, I suggest you seek counseling.

I think every months or so someone makes this thread and ofcourse we have the people who say tanning is alright and others who are 100% against it. Ultimately it is your choice. You cannot shield youself form the sun so I think you should just embrace it. Enjoy it, you don't have to sunbathe for 8 hours a day but moderation is key, you want to tan during the summer be my guest it is only 3 months anyways well for me anyways the rest of the year is snow and cold.

You know Tanning Salons and tanning beds are everywhere! Are they safe? Yes! When used as directed, tanning salons and tanning beds provide the best and safest alternative to outdoor sun. Tanning Beds are the safest place in all the world to tan because timers provide control to measure the dose and prevent sunburn. Sunburn, or "Erythema" can result from overexposure. It is overexposure, and not mere exposure, that might be cause for any of the negative things you might read about sunlight and health. The rays from a tanning bed are not 'artificial' but are the same kind as from the sun.

Is Sunlight Healthy? Is it good for you? Can A Tanning Bed be Safe? Of Course! Count smiles per mile of sidewalk on a sunny day. Compare to smiles per mile on a cloudy day ; ) Your body knows what is good for it. Even doctors are now changing their old, outdated ideas to agree that Sunshine is healthy!

---------------------------------

I found that.. I will try to find other stuff that says tanning isnt going to GIVE you cancer. Geez, if that was the case almost the entire world would have cancer.

:clap: Yay Snow Queen!

100 per cent correct! If only people would actually listen to this...

Once again depends on your skin, that is why you have people in their 40's and 50's who tan insanely and have perfect skin.

Whatever Smashing... you obviously don't READ posts... you just glance over them and then re-state your opinion. Sorry, but those people in their 40s and 50s with "perfect skin" don't have it much longer than that... My mother is 55 and can pass for 35 because she never tanned. You just don't get it do you... you're so sold by the people who want you to pay to get a nice even tan that you actually believe that it causes no harm? If you really think that a couple individuals with tanning habits who have bad skin after 20 years of tanning are the majority, you're kidding yourself.

I think it's safe to say the word "CUMULATIVE" didn't catch your eye or isn't in your vocabulary.

:clap: Yay Snow Queen!

100 per cent correct! If only people would actually listen to this...

Once again depends on your skin, that is why you have people in their 40's and 50's who tan insanely and have perfect skin.

Whatever Smashing... you obviously don't READ posts... you just glance over them and then re-state your opinion. Sorry, but those people in their 40s and 50s with "perfect skin" don't have it much longer than that... My mother is 55 and can pass for 35 because she never tanned. You just don't get it do you... you're so sold by the people who want you to pay to get a nice even tan that you actually believe that it causes no harm? If you really think that a couple individuals with tanning habits who have bad skin after 20 years of tanning are the majority, you're kidding yourself.

I think it's safe to say the word "CUMULATIVE" didn't catch your eye or isn't in your vocabulary.

Yes I understand tanning causes harm but say you tan 2x a week for 2 months .. then you ahev the rest of the year which is what 10 MONTHS for your skin to repiar itself. So do you mena to tell me that after 8 months and only tanning 2x a week your skin won't repiar itself to any degree? There are people who over do it, but not everyone does. Maybe you would like to live in a world shileded by the sun but not everyone else does. I think you need to get over it and stop critisizing my ideas .. your like a leech, you are every where. I make a comment and ofcourse you appear and try to belittle it. Get over it. There are many people out there who believe tanning is fine for you in MODERATION! I did not say go tan everyday 365 Days a year... did I no!

Whatever, I came to post in reply to Snow Queen's post... but you beat me to the punch by a few seconds. Don't flatter yourself... there are much better people to "leech" off of than you... you only bleed ignorance.

Your skin doesn't "repair" itself from sun damage completely--ever, not even after 8 looooong months (especially since the sun doesn't just go away in winter... you can tan just as easily in winter as summer, it's just not as pleasurable). Sorry, it doesn't. Maybe this will help:

Cumulative: Something that builds up over a period of time. For example, "The test is cumulative; it will cover everything we have discussed thus far in the class." Sun damage is CUMULATIVE. It builds up over time, so every time you expose your skin to UV radiation (the different types were discussed earlier... UVA radiation is a "silent killer" because it doesn't cause your skin to burn... these are the waves that are responsible for most skin cancers) you increase your risk by that much. So, the more you go out in the sun, the more damage your skin accumulates.

Nobody wants to live in a world without sun. That is not what anyone's advocating. What we ARE advocating are preventative measures against cumulative sun damage, which is exacerbated by frequent tanning and sun exposure.