Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BigPore

For those who want to drink on Accutane

I'm on 50 mg/day Accutane. I work in night entertainment and there is lots of alcohol involved. It's a pain in the ass not to drink. I resist anyway.

Before I leave the venue, I am required to do a breathalyzer, whether I had anything or not. One night, I broke down had 1/2 glass of Dom (champagne). One hour later, my blood alcohol level tested at 0.039%. I'm guessing that had I drunk the entire glass, I would have tested 0.06+%. 0.06% is the limit of legal intoxication in my state. All from one glass. One hour after consumption.

Do you think my body was happy with this?

For those of you that know the specifics of why Accutane magnifies the effects of alcohol, please share. I'm curious.

BTW, I inhale asbestos every weekend and I feel fine. No problems yet. I'll be careful just in case. But I won't stop inhaling asbestos, not even to prevent CANCER! All my friends inhale asbestos and I don't want to feel left out. It's worth the risk. It is!

Interesting. I've certainly felt that alcohol was hitting me harder on tane, but I thought it could have been in my head. Maybe it really does have an intensifying effect. I'd be curious if anyone knows why this would be happen.

I'm no doctor (or even a bio major) but I would assume it's because your liver is focused on metabolizing the overload of (what it considers) Vitamin A in your body from the 'tane, and thus it takes longer to metabolize alcohol.

I think it's true too, because you're liver is working overtime.

I got a bad reaction to alcohol when I decided to drink after my course was over.

My derm never said anything about not drinking alcohol on 'Tane. I think if people resist that is obviously the best option, but having one here and there isn't going to kill you or even do you long term damage. I find it more offensive when people come on and say they smoke weed or take cocaine and whatever and is it ok to do that on Accutane :shock: At least alcohol isn't illegal (for those of us above a certain age)!

BTW, I inhale asbestos every weekend and I feel fine. No problems yet. I'll be careful just in case. But I won't stop inhaling asbestos, not even to prevent CANCER! All my friends inhale asbestos and I don't want to feel left out. It's worth the risk. It is!

You're going to die at the age of 50. Hope you enjoy your good times now... :think:

You're going to die at the age of 50. Hope you enjoy your good times now... :think:

Adam - do you realise BigPore was joking? :doubt:

Adam - do you realise BigPore was joking? :doubt:

Does he even know what asbestos is?

I have been on Accutane off and on since the middle of February. Since then, I have missed 2 whole months of pills because of one problem or another.

During the 2nd of those lapses, I decided to drink again. I had already stopped taking Accutane about 2 or more weeks so my body had probably flushed a lot of the immediate accutane effects away. So I went out 2 nights of the 3rd week off of Accutane and got drunk on Thursday night and even worse on Saturday night. What happened to me during or afterwards? Nothing.

Now, I'm not condoning drinking while on Accutane but I do know that if you stay off the pill for a little while and happen to get drunk, totally depending on how your liver's condition is, you might be safe. At least, in my case I was. I know, however, that the one side effect from this drinking that I do remember having was feeling like I was high. Like I had just smoked weed. I wasn't really hungover that badly but I did feel something I hadn't the previous times I got drunk before Accutane.

Now I'm back on the drug (1.5 weeks now) and I have the intention of drinking again (by the 3.5 weeks), but thinking about not taking the pills up to two days in advance just to be safe. I think, however, after all the reading I've done that I won't try to get too drunk since I don't want to cause permanent damage to my liver while on Accutane.

Just my 2 cents.