Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
heytheredelilah

made an appointment with the doctor for accutane...but one problem

hey guys

okay so i finally made an appointment for the doctor to discuss accutane, hoping to get it. but of course, my skin is starting to just randomly clear. i went to the beach last few weeks so i think thats why its temporarily clearing, but i'm afraid that by friday, when my appointment is, that my doctor will say "you look fine to me' and wont allow me accutane. but the thing is of course i'm not fine, i have mild to sometimes severe acne with monthly nodules and sometimes cysts, but always having 5 or 6 zits and some nodules. nothing else has worked, been on b5, tetracylcine, minocycline, a bunch of crappy topicals, proactiv, all that crap. i use dermalogica now and it controls it n nicely but i still break out even if not as bad. i have a bunch of little scars and deep redmarks and enlarged pores to at least show i get severe acne, im just hoping the doctor will understand and not just dismiss me cause i'm temporalily clearing.

gee, for the first time in my life i actually want to break out.

what did your face look like when you went to the doctor? do you think i'll be allowed it or will i be denied it?

im really nervous ....

p

hey guys

okay so i finally made an appointment for the doctor to discuss accutane, hoping to get it. but of course, my skin is starting to just randomly clear. i went to the beach last few weeks so i think thats why its temporarily clearing, but i'm afraid that by friday, when my appointment is, that my doctor will say "you look fine to me' and wont allow me accutane. but the thing is of course i'm not fine, i have mild to sometimes severe acne with monthly nodules and sometimes cysts, but always having 5 or 6 zits and some nodules. nothing else has worked, been on b5, tetracylcine, minocycline, a bunch of crappy topicals, proactiv, all that crap. i use dermalogica now and it controls it n nicely but i still break out even if not as bad. i have a bunch of little scars and deep redmarks and enlarged pores to at least show i get severe acne, im just hoping the doctor will understand and not just dismiss me cause i'm temporalily clearing.

gee, for the first time in my life i actually want to break out.

what did your face look like when you went to the doctor? do you think i'll be allowed it or will i be denied it?

im really nervous ....

p

The first time my derm offered me accutane, I was 'fairly' clear (for me)... But she was able to feel nodules 'growing' under the skin - and could see that my back was riddled with scars.

How old are you?

My derm was very realistic that as hard as we try to keep our skin clear, at times it will be. That doesn't mean that there isn't a problem though.

If I was 16, I'm not sure she would have offered accutane - but at 24 and after trying many anti-biotics, it seemed an appropriate option.

Do you have any pics of you having a break out that you could bring in?

Good luck!

~Becca

hey thanks for the reply!!

i am 17, so i am a little young, but i would say that im fully developed cause i'm already seriously shaving and i dont think im growing any more ..unfortunately hahaha but yeah, so hopefully im not too young for it.

i do have one picture of me with a break out, but most of my pictures i airbrushed...and i am now regretting it lol.

but the scars and redmarks are very apparent, and hopefully my doctor will understand. he/she (not sure yet cause i have not seen he/she) was recommened to me by a friend whose brother had acne maybe a little worse than me and he/she gave him accutane...so hopefully im in luck.

how did accutane work for you?

the reason i am so urgent to get it, is nto only to hopefully get rid of acne asap, but i am going to namibia for a month next summer on this world challenge thing, and im not going to be able to do much facial stuff over there, i'll probably only bring wipes, which means i'll be having hiorrible breakouts for the rest of the summer and i dont like the sound of more nodules and scars...

Hi, If your Derm. knows your history with acne from past visits, and scars dont lie, a derm knows what acne / cystic acne scars look like.

I'm sure she will bring up accutane, just ask about it, tell her youve been reading about accutane and that your interested in accutane.

If she says no not yet try other things first then see how that goes i guess.

With me, i had 2 cysts that had to be lanced, they gave me antibiotics and told me to come back to see how that went and i came back with more cysts , so he put me on accutane which i start this September 06 basically my skin is clear minus the cystic breakouts i get. My derm said to me your skin is clear, no blackheads just those damn cysts and oily skin . Good luck.. just ask for the accutane.

heres some pics, i'll do several posts.

i know some of these may not look that bad, but if you look u can see some small scars and dark spots where cysts and nodules once werfe, but remember i just came back from the beach and my skin is temporalily cleared, it can be much much worse than this.

more

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

it may not look that bad, but like i said it gets much worse, and there are many small scars and red marks from past nodules and cysts, also there is a nodule or cyst forming on my upper forehead, its kinda poking out in that pic but i can feel it and it is guna be much bigger.

what do you think?

see right now it is really only mild, and i think the doctor will not like the idea of me on accutane with mild acne at the time.

post-42354-1156012746_thumb.jpg

post-42354-1156012746_thumb.jpg

My derm told me accutane was an option for me when my skin was clearer than that. don't worry just tell her what you said here, If it's scarring she will most likely give you accutane.

thanks a bunch guys, i really needed it. i couldnt stop worrying about it. but now im relaxed. thanks alot. and also...just saw snakes on a plane..that also helped a tad cause it was so ridiculous it was funny. i reccommend it as a great stress reliever hahahahaa.

thanks again, i'll keep you posted on what the derm says.

Have you had only one derm? If your derm has nothing left to prescribe, you will get Accutane. It seems like you've tried everything.

I've been prescribed Accutane 3 times. Once at 21, at the derm's insistence and my skin was on a "good" day. I stopped treatment because it was during a harsh winter and my skin could not take it. Then I tried again at 23, when my skin was behaving and the derm did not protest. At 30, I went to another derm and asked straight up for Accutane. I even brought pictures of my "bad" days thinking that I would have to talk her into it. She was, like, whatever, here's your iPLEDGE packet.

It seems like derms are either all about Accutane or totally against it. I'm guessing that you will get it. If you don't, just call another doctor. You will find one.

Just tell your doc everything you said in your initial post. You should have no problems whatsoever. If he seems to resist at first, emphasize your worry that the occasional cysts will leave permanent scars. I'm sure the doc already knows that. If he or she says no, just go to another doctor. But I'd be 90% sure that you should be able to get accutane with no problems.

I think accutane is a good decision because as you said your acne changes alot. It could get very severe very quickly. Get rid of it before you have to REALLY worry about it...

Hey when I went to see my derm I thought my skin was looking better and all looking forward to him being like, "great, the tazorac and antibiotic is working!" Which I thought it was working for me but when I saw him he goes, "you still have acne." His idea of clear skin was TRULY clear skin while my idea of clear skin due to my sad acne experiences was NO BIG ZITS and fading brown spots that could sorta be covered by makeup. ANYWAY, to reply to your post, I thought I was clear going to my doc and instead my doc thought I still needed help so I suggested Accutane and he said OKAY and now I'm going to pick it up today!!!