Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I recall posting a pic (scars) of myself in the past, and I remember one response I got was that photos can distort your image/attributes, hence making scars look worse than they really are. I really wanted to believe this, but I was still convinced my scars (and overall facial appearance) was unattractive - even though my family were constantly saying "your scars are not that bad, and you ARE good lookig". I've since sought counselling (not only for my facial concerns, but for overall body appearance - it's embarrassing to admit, but I used to layer my shoes with socks to make me appear taller LOL) and even though it's helped, I still struggled to believe that I'm not as hideous as I think I am.

Anyway, I found this Wiki entry, and decided to post it here, even if to comfort you a little.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photogenic

Comments? Do you think you look less attractive in photographs, or vice versa. And do you think this applies to both video, and looking in the mirror/reflections?

It's a stuggle, but I'm slowly overcoming it. Ultimately I STILL want some form of treatment to relieve my scarring (let's admit it, the EMOTIONAL scarringof acne will always stick in the back of my mind, and I doubt any form of counselling will fix me psychologically, so to speak) and I guess a healthier diet/sufficient exercise will make me feel more comfortable with my overall body.

Sorry for the sentiments. I just thought I'd share my experiences - and that entry from Wikipedia. Things MAY NOT BE all that bad afterall :angel:

Guest TylerD

Yup...nothing too new to me. I always looks great in pictures and not so great in real life lol.

I recall posting a pic (scars) of myself in the past, and I remember one response I got was that photos can distort your image/attributes, hence making scars look worse than they really are. I really wanted to believe this, but I was still convinced my scars (and overall facial appearance) was unattractive - even though my family were constantly saying "your scars are not that bad, and you ARE good lookig". I've since sought counselling (not only for my facial concerns, but for overall body appearance - it's embarrassing to admit, but I used to layer my shoes with socks to make me appear taller LOL) and even though it's helped, I still struggled to believe that I'm not as hideous as I think I am.

Anyway, I found this Wiki entry, and decided to post it here, even if to comfort you a little.

Comments? Do you think you look less attractive in photographs, or vice versa. And do you think this applies to both video, and looking in the mirror/reflections?

It's a stuggle, but I'm slowly overcoming it. Ultimately I STILL want some form of treatment to relieve my scarring (let's admit it, the EMOTIONAL scarringof acne will always stick in the back of my mind, and I doubt any form of counselling will fix me psychologically, so to speak) and I guess a healthier diet/sufficient exercise will make me feel more comfortable with my overall body.

Sorry for the sentiments. I just thought I'd share my experiences - and that entry from Wikipedia. Things MAY NOT BE all that bad afterall :angel:

That's a very interesting article.. now I know the reason I look like shit in pictures and better in real life. :P

It's true. Pictures mean nothing. I've seen huge differences between people in pictures and in real life.

I've found photogenic people have:

1) overly small noses (this is why almost every beautiful actress gets a nose job even if they didn't need one.)

2) noses, chins, and squared jaws that project almost too much because this gives definition in 2 dimensions. Women with these features actually look a little masculine in real life.

3) Light hair- because this captures light well. Dark hair, while full of depth and luster in real life, often just looks one dimensional in photographs

4) very low body fat- because any amount of fat makes the person just look smooth and round on camera. In real life though, these skinny people would look underweight and unhealthy.

hey, good post!

since i have had my skin problems, i have begun to get really camera shy and refuse to have my picture taken, which is a shame really since i like to make scrapbooks with photos of events in my life etc! But i have got quite bad acne scarring and when i look at any pictures of me, i feel depressed coz the scars show up real bad. If i look in the mirror some days, my scars arent too visible to me but looking in the photo changes my mind! So for me, i think i look very unattractive in my photos although people tell me different. i just have very low confidence in myself and no self esteem!

Tje only time i dont mind having my pictures taken is when i'm clear! lol! x

It's true. I look like shit in pictures but I don't think I look bad in real life. Some people are vice versa but I think most people look better in teh RL.

yeah thats how i feel! lol

lol that expains it, i actually can hardy recognize myself in pictures because i always see myself in mirrors, both are altered images of myself. one is a mirror image the other is a 2D version of my 3D self.

i hope i reality i look more like i do in mirrors then in i do pictures though :razz:

OMG!! I used to layer socks in my shoes too!!!!

that was before my growth spurt, lol.

but i totally understand height issues, i used to be very self concious about it... not even remotely as much as i am about skin now lol.

But anyways.. lots of people could tell that i walked funny and some people were like, are you wearing high heels? Whenever i took off my shoes other people would see the socks and i would have to explain (i take off my shoes a lot during class and when i sit down).

as a matter of fact, i took a class where EVERYONE in it knew i layered my shoes because they all saw my shoes, lol.