Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-terry-

Question on Dan's BP

Hello everyone, I'm a new member here and this is my first post :). I've lurked around for several hours trying to find my answers, so I wouldn't ask a repeated question and might annoy anyone here hehe. Before I start, I'd like to thank you everyone in advance on any helpful comments.

I've taken Accutane for 3 months treatment about 4 years ago, but my acne came back a year after. Then, my dermatologist recommended me taking 40mg Accutane for a 6 months treatment. I've been acne free about almost 2 years now from that time onward. However, I've not been very lucky and I started to have little breakouts again this month. I have about 2-3 new pimples every week. Instead of using pills like Accutane, I'd like to try Dan's BP for no side effects.

Questions on BP

1) Do I apply it all over my face eventhough I only have 5-6 pimples just to prevent future breakout? The breakout seems random on any part of my face for this whole month.

2) After my face clear out, am I suppose to continue this whole regiment process for several years?

3) I noticed that after the pimple is gone, sometimes the spot become brownish or darker skin. I've checked the red mark section, but I'm not sure if it's the same thing. Is there anything to help it?

Thank You Again in advance!

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

1) Do I apply it all over my face eventhough I only have 5-6 pimples just to prevent future breakout? The breakout seems random on any part of my face for this whole month.

It's entirely up to you, really depends on what you think is appropriate. Some spot treat, some treat entire face.

2) After my face clear out, am I suppose to continue this whole regiment process for several years?

The CSR is intended as a preventative. You may choose to drop the regimen from time to time and see if the acne returns. If it doesn't, the CSR is no longer required.

3) I noticed that after the pimple is gone, sometimes the spot become brownish or darker skin. I've checked the red mark section, but I'm not sure if it's the same thing. Is there anything to help it?

It's most likey what we call Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation (PIH). I personally believe that red marks are more of a vascular problem, and pigmentation is an issue related to the brown marks you talk of. Altered melanin. But the simple fact is that they can be treated together, so never mind confusing yourself with what to do first, or exactly what you have.

Retinols and AHA's (Alpha Hydroxy Acids) are the best method. Increases cell turnover so as to slough off old, shitty, discoloured skin cells. And the Retinols works to restore the skins correct cellular structure. The AHA's also help to bind water to your skin which is great for that typical dehydrated, acne prone skin.

Hope it helps. James.

Wow, thank you so much for the great and fast respond. Of course, it's very helpful. About Retinols and Alpha Hydroxy Acids, how may I do this regimen? Do I just wait 10 minutes after applying Dan's BP, then apply these cream or gel over it? I greatly appreciated the help again, and may you please list some recommended products for Retinols and AHA products?

You don't really want to add in AHA's or Retinols until you are settled into the CSR. Ease into it with the bp, starting out with a small amount and working your way up to the 'generous' amount that Dan recommends.

Just use a gentle cleanser and oil-free moisturizer for the first month or so before you add in anything else like AHA. If your skin isn't overly irritated you can consider the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion or some other AHA treatment, use it instead of your regular moisturizer or you can spot treat specific hyperpigmented areas only.

Hope this helps!