Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xtr3m

The effect of bad diet

What causes breakouts after eating something bad?

Is it due to increased oiliness or "contaminated" blood?

What about some people that are not that oily but they still breakout?

The answer to your question is too long and too complicated. It is like asking to be taught math or history. Think of it like this. What your skin is made of, your other organs, and the water in your body - it all comes from what you eat. You want to eat greasy french fries all day? Then eventually that will be mixed with the other chemicals in your body and be removed one way or another. Depending on your liver and the strength of other bodily functions, you may or may not have acne because of this. Eating is not the only factor if at all. It's just a factor that causes a lot of people acne - even just a small cause. Case closed.

:ninja:

The simplest answer to your question is that everything about our body, being made of the food we eat, is controlled by food.

What I mean is that for example many people say that acne is due to hormonal unbalance

Okay ... but hormonal unbalance is caused by food since not only hormones are made of the food we eat but they're synthetized and controlled by the vitamina and minerals we get with our food

Other say that acne is caused by a weak immune system

Okay ... but the immune system depends on the food and nutrients you eat on avoiding metabolism by-product like ammines, skatoles, cresols and many other and getting the right amount of all essential nutrients and phyto-antioxidants ... but it's also a matter of metabolism and hence of energy obtained from food and energy consumed through activity. It is also a matter of controlling hormones like insulin, glucagon, cortisol which are affected by how much we eat, how often we eat, when we eat and not only what we eat

I don't think today's breakouts are because of the meals of yesterday but the result of weeks and weeks of hormonal, metabolic and physiological processes disturbed by eating and lifestyle patterns

I don't think eating has got to do anything with acne. I eat alot of healthy food /drink prb 5 bottles 500ml of water, work-out consistently. NEver had soda in a year. I have a healthy body, yet a severe acne. Just try to eat but don't be pyranoid about what you are eating. If your craving chocolat...go for it....that's my theory. But, I'm an atlete and try to keep my diet clean as possible. (that's why i'm skeptical of trying accutane...weaken joints, liver problems). So i think diet and acne has nothing to do with it. My friends do drugs/drink/smoke, eat mcdonalds anytime they want, yet they got clean faces.

I don't think eating has got to do anything with acne. I eat alot of healthy food /drink prb 5 bottles 500ml of water, work-out consistently. NEver had soda in a year. I have a healthy body, yet a severe acne. Just try to eat but don't be pyranoid about what you are eating. If your craving chocolat...go for it....that's my theory. But, I'm an atlete and try to keep my diet clean as possible. (that's why i'm skeptical of trying accutane...weaken joints, liver problems). So i think diet and acne has nothing to do with it. My friends do drugs/drink/smoke, eat mcdonalds anytime they want, yet they got clean faces.

This is something has come up in a lot of threads and I think people have a misconception when they hear "healthful foods." The best example is wheat. Wheat contains gluten, which is a very common acne aggrivator. Wheat is a very healthful grain/carbohydrate, for those who are not acne prone. However, for people like myself who have acne due to diet, gluten is HORRIBLE for the skin. Ever since I cut that out of my diet, as well as dairy, my skin has improved drastically.

Try taking just gluten out of your diet and see how that helps your skin. I saw results within just a couple of days, but I've had straggler pimples since. Like was said just a couple posts up, acne is caused by a long process of bad diet. Each day, my skin gets better and better because less and less of what I used to eat is still in my body.

Good luck :)

According to Wikipedia:

Gluten is found in some cereals (e.g., wheat, rye, barley) and their end products. Wheat grown in countries with extreme weather conditions, such as Canada tends to have a higher gluten content than wheat grown in countries where the winter is milder. Wheat flour with a high gluten content is called "strong" flour, and is used for breads, whereas flour with a lower gluten content is called "soft" flour, and is used for cakes. No gluten is contained in rice (even glutinous rice), wild rice, maize (corn), millets, buckwheat, quinoa, or amaranth. Oats and teff do not contain gluten, but are sometimes grown directly adjacent to, and/or milled on the same equipment as, other grains that do contain gluten, and so are commonly contaminated. Non-cereals such as soybeans and sunflower seeds contain no gluten.

Other varieties of wheat such as kamut and spelt have slightly different forms of gluten. The gluten in spelt is more fragile than that found in wheat, and the bread dough can therefore collapse if overmixed. Many people who are unable to digest gluten for non-celiac reasons are often able to digest these varieties. People suffering from coeliac disease are advised to avoid all forms of gluten.

Also is it okay to eat organic eggs and low fat yogurt?

It's fine as long as you make sure to wash the eggs... There's nothing in eggs or yogurt that can hurt you unless you're allergic or dairy product exacerbate your acne (and this would only apply to the yogurt).

The wikipedia definition is a pretty good one. I also found this one to be quite helpful:

"Technically speaking, gluten is the general name for "prolamins" (also referred to as "prolamines"), a protein fraction found in a variety of grains. The prolamins that cause damage to people with celiac disease include gliadin (found in wheat), secalin (found in rye), and hordein (found in barley).

People often refer to gliadin as the offending part of gluten, and it is-for wheat. But secalin and hordein also cause an immunological response in celiacs. Other grains have prolamins, too (corn's prolamin is called zein, and rice's prolamin is orzenin), but their prolamins are not toxic to celiacs.

To be even more specific, only a part of the gliadin, secalin, and hordein proteins are harmful."

She speaks specifically about celiacs, however gluten has a similar effect on those who have acne caused by it.

I just make a point to read EVERY label on EVERY piece of food I buy. Yes, it's a bit time consuming, but it's worth it to me to keep my skin clear. If you buy your foods at a health food store, you can find a lot of foods that say "gluten free" right on the label.

Guest Stu :-)

how do you know it has gluten in it?

Will it list as wheat gluten in the ingredients?

I have found that some label it, some don't. Essentially though, i think you will find as listed above, all those wheats etc will usually contain gluten in it, unless you head to the organic section and look out for the Gluten free label. Not to sure if its in other types of food like beans, crisps etc? wouldn't surprise me just to make things harder :lol:

local health stores (holland n barret, GNC), organic sections in supermarkets, or this place which i have just found might help

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/...set/sect/I.html

this i have just found also explains how to find gluten in your food http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs06.htm

yea accutane will make you're joints sore. god i can't run like i used too after a week of taking that. but the oil is gone and thats like.. priceless.