Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey, my girlfriend (as she just revealed to me a few days ago) said she has been on oral acne meds since before we met. Right before we started spending time together (and before we were a couple) they tried to half her dosage and then take her off of the meds but she broke out really bad (and she had photos and I was shocked). This has admittedly piqued my interest, because honestly the girl doesn't wear a spot of makeup and she's had the clearest (except for the cutest freckles ever) skin I've seen on a normal person. She used to be on TRIAZ cleanser, but hasn't had to use it in over a year. I believe she said the drug she was on was "duraseff" (spelling probably butchered). The question, is should I go ahead and give this a shot in addition to a BP/Cleanser/etc regimen? I know I probably sound like a spoiled kid on an acne support board, but being 2 years out of high school, I am tired of it, and this seems like it could be a solution for my "minor" acne. Has anyone heard of this drug or any other that I could look into? My derms have tried Benzaclin, Differen, Retin-A, Benzamycin, and TRIAZ, so perhaps he'll be willing to go ahead and try something a little more "intense" like this with me.

This is probably Duricef, which is a cephalosporin antibiotic, similar to something like Keflex. It's not that commonly used for acne. I am not the biggest supporter of antibiotics, but it probably wouldn't hurt to incorporate into your regimen.

If you're not allergic to sulfa drugs, the first antibiotic that I would recommend is Septra/Bactrim.

This is probably Duricef, which is a cephalosporin antibiotic, similar to something like Keflex. It's not that commonly used for acne. I am not the biggest supporter of antibiotics, but it probably wouldn't hurt to incorporate into your regimen.

If you're not allergic to sulfa drugs, the first antibiotic that I would recommend is Septra/Bactrim.

Hmm, I'll mention those to my Derm when I actually get around to getting an appointment.

I'm not big on antibiotics either. I think long term use can cause more harm than good...one of the reasons I finally decided to go on Accutane.

Have you tried Sulfacet? It is a sulfer based lotion (prescription) and works well for some people.

I'm not big on antibiotics either. I think long term use can cause more harm than good...one of the reasons I finally decided to go on Accutane.

Have you tried Sulfacet? It is a sulfer based lotion (prescription) and works well for some people.

I have not, but I think this is mainly 'leftovers', and if I was able to zap my acne into a lesser state with an antibiotic and then keep going with my regimen that I would be relatively in the clear...I'm probably completely wrong, but I'll mention Sulfacet to him/her/it too.