Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
laura lou

im gettin a bit worried that i wont get my dream job

for many years now, ive known exactly what career id like when i'm older. And that is to be a flight attendant aka trolly dolly! lol! But when i was reading an article about it, it says you need to look presentable and have make up applied perfectly. I'm just concerned that i won't get a job as an air hostess coz the state of my skin. I've never ever seen an air hostess with bad skin! I think its totally wrong to be chosen for a job on the basis of your looks-not a real confidence boost is it? lol! Now im worried i wont get my dream job coz other people wont wanna look at my nasty face!

Nice dream job :P

Hope it goes well for you!

If you feel like that go have a pamper day? Like get a massage and your hair done your nails and all the girl stuffs!

Make you feel better about yourself!

I'm sure they aren't that shallow, as long as you can do the job i don't see why you can't get it! Air hostesses aren't perfect, they probably do get acne flareups but cover them well with makeup. By presentable i think it means that you have to look smart, so no extreme hairstyles and things like that. Having makeup applied perfectly means they don't want you coming in looking a state with your makeup smudged or wrongly applied so it looks weird, because you represent that company and so you have to look neat.

I'm sure they aren't that shallow, as long as you can do the job i don't see why you can't get it! Air hostesses aren't perfect, they probably do get acne flareups but cover them well with makeup. By presentable i think it means that you have to look smart, so no extreme hairstyles and things like that. Having makeup applied perfectly means they don't want you coming in looking a state with your makeup smudged or wrongly applied so it looks weird, because you represent that company and so you have to look neat.

Get serious. It's not about being shallow. Being a flight attendent has the same requirements as being a hostess at a fine restaurant or being a professional makeup artist or being a diet expert. They aren't going to have someone that looks unattractive serving meals on an airplane to strangers that paid good money for great service from good looking people. You don't want to go eat at a restaurant where the hostess has terrible hair, smells, and is wearing bad clothes. You won't want to get health recommendations and exercise techniques from someone overweight and has trouble breathing. That is life. My friend is a flight attendent so I know how it is. Case closed.

:ninja:

yea people ARE SHALLOW.... trust me that is why this world revolves around looks and materials... but don't worry about ur acne it clears up over time... right now just try and control it to minimize discoloration and scarring

I want to be an Air Hostess too, their requirements are strict full stop without even bringing looks into it, so skin is just going to make it soo much harder, but all it will really come down to is being confident enough, Im just going to keep working on my scars and red marks and hopefully in 2-3 years it won't even be noticable at all.

I want to be an Air Hostess too, their requirements are strict full stop without even bringing looks into it, so skin is just going to make it soo much harder, but all it will really come down to is being confident enough, Im just going to keep working on my scars and red marks and hopefully in 2-3 years it won't even be noticable at all.

cool! i know what ur saying about the requirements being hard already lol!

thats also what im working on-getting rid of the scars...hopefully they'll just fade in time!

Yep I bought an e-book on it from FabJob.com ! its got lots of good info in there. Ive got plenty of time anyway cause I'm only starting the travel and tourism course this year, just make sure you also get as much customer service experience as you can too and get books and things on it so that you've got all the info you need to even make it through the application/interview stages, your skin will sort itself out in time if you stick to an intense regimen. Sometimes I feel like giving up on trying to become one when in certain lighting the indents just look SO bad but then othertimes my skin looks really smooth and like its not even noticable. Then you read about how high maintanence you need to be and look good all the time and it is a bit off putting! but I HAVE seen air hostesses who were not that attractive.. and were small and podgy and plain kinda looking! so don't worry too much! They dont all look like glam dollys in the sky! lol

Yep I bought an e-book on it from FabJob.com ! its got lots of good info in there. Ive got plenty of time anyway cause I'm only starting the travel and tourism course this year, just make sure you also get as much customer service experience as you can too and get books and things on it so that you've got all the info you need to even make it through the application/interview stages, your skin will sort itself out in time if you stick to an intense regimen. Sometimes I feel like giving up on trying to become one when in certain lighting the indents just look SO bad but then othertimes my skin looks really smooth and like its not even noticable. Then you read about how high maintanence you need to be and look good all the time and it is a bit off putting! but I HAVE seen air hostesses who were not that attractive.. and were small and podgy and plain kinda looking! so don't worry too much! They dont all look like glam dollys in the sky! lol

wow-you're doing travel and tourism too? I'm going to college next month to start that course as well! It sounds soo cool-get to learn a third language-spanish lol! that book u bought sounds really good!

For the past few months ive had a really good regimen, but i think ive kinda become immune to the products i use, so im off to the doctors to see what he can do! fingers crossed the skin sorts itself out coz i hate the bad days more than anything! and your right, some air hostesses arent always glamarous. when i was on the aeroplane a few weeks ago-we had this one hostess who was like 60. more granny than glam lol!

Get serious. It's not about being shallow. Being a flight attendent has the same requirements as being a hostess at a fine restaurant or being a professional makeup artist or being a diet expert. They aren't going to have someone that looks unattractive serving meals on an airplane to strangers that paid good money for great service from good looking people. You don't want to go eat at a restaurant where the hostess has terrible hair, smells, and is wearing bad clothes. You won't want to get health recommendations and exercise techniques from someone overweight and has trouble breathing. That is life. My friend is a flight attendent so I know how it is. Case closed.

Not all flight attendents are physically attractive, but they are presentable. The reason they are employed is because of their personal qualities and their ability to do the job. I agree that the requirements are similar to those of the professions you've stated but people aren't paying for the way air hostesses look they are paying for the flight and service. They don't judge airlines by the air hostess' appearance, they judge on how well the air hostess does her job and how the flight was. Being an air hostess does include some aspects of the jobs you said but it also requires much more, such as being able to carry out emergancy procedures. The point i'm trying to make is that as long as you are presentable (Good hair, clothes and hygene) , in good health and can carry out the job being curteous and polite at all times, acne shouldn't be a big problem if you can cover it up with makeup. They aren't going to take away points if you suffer from acne because everyone gets it. In the earlier post I wasn't basing it on their health or hygene i based it on acne because Laura was worried about that being a factor that could potentually stop her from becoming an air hostess. I'm sure she knows about the other requirements but she was talking about her skin stopping her, not her health. Laura don't listen your skin is beautiful and you'll get the dream job. Btw Rodd i totally agree.

thats a bit harsh mate. she's not unattractive, she just has acne.. which doesnt mean she is incapable of looking presentable either.

and i wouldnt worry about it at the moment laura, you've still got plenty of time and theres a good chance you wont even have acne by the time you're applying for those jobs. so worry about it then, and its actually a good thing you are thinking about this sooner rather than later cos it means you are in a position to consider a backup plan just in case. forewarned is forearmed and all.. ;) good luck with it

and you guys are soo right about old mingers up there.. whats with that?? i had an old bossy rude woman with too much perfume on my last flight, while eva longoria was working in the next section.. :doh: the sooner you two get up there the better!

thats a bit harsh mate. she's not unattractive, she just has acne.. which doesnt mean she is incapable of looking presentable either.

and i wouldnt worry about it at the moment laura, you've still got plenty of time and theres a good chance you wont even have acne by the time you're applying for those jobs. so worry about it then, and its actually a good thing you are thinking about this sooner rather than later cos it means you are in a position to consider a backup plan just in case. forewarned is forearmed and all.. ;) good luck with it

and you guys are soo right about old mingers up there.. whats with that?? i had an old bossy rude woman with too much perfume on my last flight, while eva longoria was working in the next section.. :doh: the sooner you two get up there the better!

I don't know what people are looking at when they read my posts. Where did I say anything about her appearance? I don't even know what she looks like aside from that small avatar picture. I was responding to the post that said people are shallow (a comment so many people on this site use, yet to me seem more shallow than anyone else that is clear). I was telling how it is in industry. A company is not going to invest in something or someone that is going to cost profit losses or not reach true company potential. So to be honest, because I have a friend in the flight industry, looks do matter, despite what everyone else is saying. I am saying this not knowing what you look like and not commenting anything on your appearance. For people saying otherwise are just setting you or anyone else up for a big surprise. Case closed.

Thanks for your nice comment rodd! :)

aw poor u gettin stuck with the old woman on your last flight. i had cruella Devil serving me-seriosuly though, she had like black, grey and white hair all at once lol!

haha yeah so i dont know what you're worried about laura.. :D lets just hope you can 'trolly-dolly' better than you can quote huh? ;)

I don't know what people are looking at when they read my posts. Where did I say anything about her appearance? I don't even know what she looks like aside from that small avatar picture. I was responding to the post that said people are shallow (a comment so many people on this site use, yet to me seem more shallow than anyone else that is clear). I was telling how it is in industry. A company is not going to invest in something or someone that is going to cost profit losses or not reach true company potential. So to be honest, because I have a friend in the flight industry, looks do matter, despite what everyone else is saying. I am saying this not knowing what you look like and not commenting anything on your appearance. For people saying otherwise are just setting you or anyone else up for a big surprise. Case closed.

dude, you can't be serious. especially nowadays. Maybe a few years ago all flight attendants were judged by looks but have you flown lately? No offense to flight attendants, nice ladies, but honestly, go take a flight right now or something, because its completely different.

yeah, i didnt see any rudeness in the post either, nor anything about her looks, rodd, better read twice before you insult someone

as for my comment on the subject; just go for it, your acne isnt that bad so they wont mind at all and you're definitely pretty enough for it , acne is something totally different from bad smell or being overweight, most people have acne so why mind, even a lot of topmodels have acne

sorry necro, maybe i did read something into it that wasnt there..

but it seemed to me like you were implying that laura wouldnt do well as a flight attendant because of her acne.. i think maybe it was because the previous posts were discussing whether her fear of not being presentable enough was justified, and then you said:

They aren't going to have someone that looks unattractive serving meals on an airplane to strangers that paid good money for great service from good looking people.

still, there are plenty of unattractive flight attendants.

PLENTY.

and i am not saying laura that you are unattractive, im just saying there is a large number that arent attractive at all, when i flew out to california this year, i didnt have an attractive flight attendant there and back.

Yeah u all act like only models are flight attendants LMFAO. Dont know if u all fly Playboy Air or not but they dont look like models.

i didnt mean for it to sound like i think all air hostesss are models, its just what i've seen in magazines and research. BTW, i love the playboy air comment lmao!

in terms of appearance, i think they lowered the standards for physical appearance for flight attendants

:think:

yeah the course does sound cool! Ive always wanted to learn spanish! I cant wait, but Im still bit self-concious of my face but cant let it hold me back anymore and I know that it is alot better now and definatly will be by the time I apply for jobs so just need to stop stressing. Only a few requirement forms I read while researching bout airline jobs said you cant have ANYTHING visable on your skin (birthmarks etc) they must all be covered with make-up and said you must have high grooming standards, be over 5'2, be proportional weight to height and presentable thats bout everything it says for physical appearance. Then there are soooo many other qualities you're supposed to have too, it isnt easy to get a job because there are that many people who apply! But if you put the effort in and get enough experience in the right things and are well prepared you are more likely. Who wants to work on airplanes when there are terrorists going around trying to blow them up anyway? lol

Anyway we probably feel like we need to look really good to do the job because we see programmes like that easy jet documentrary where they definatly DO have high standards and they all seem to look perfect .. plus you think of those good-looking gays working on there lol but not all the airlines are like that, some of the applications I read didnt even say anything about appearance other than the basics that you need to be over 5'2 and a proportional weight to height. So just work on making that CV look good.. improving your knowledge in it all.. developing better interpersonal skills and confidence and just work on your well-being and gaining all the qualities you feel you might need.

DONT GIVE UP YOUR DREAM cause its soooo attainable! you're fit, healthy and good-looking and are on the right track and have your ambitions so just go for it. skin wont be a problem later on. Just think of all the benefits of being an air hostess too! Its worth it.

A lot of people are afraid of not getting their dream job. But, when you're an adult, they won't care much if you can apply make-up well enough to cover spots. And you have to work on skills, too. So, I doubt your skin will play that much of a large factor.

Anyway, I also agree with Necromancer. No one wants to be served by someone that seems like someone that got picked up off the street. Or someone who's excessively overweight.

About the topic of flight attendants having to be models, that is slightly true when it comes to the hostesses on asain airelines, it seems. I've never seen an one with a flaw. When I was on the plane to Taiwan a month ago, my dad even told me that he read in the newspaper that in (I think) Taiwan, there were hundreds of people interviewed and only about (I forgot, really) thirty, or so, was chosen. Ha. At least you don't live there, I think.

i went on korean airline a while ago, and i agree that the flight attendants were young, pretty

but now if you ride that airline, they have aunties , and not slim.